Does anyone think List of the Lost would make a great film?

M

Mozzypaws

I was reading the synopsis of List of the Lost, and it made me think, this would be a great A24 indie horror film. "The theme is demonology ... the left-handed path of black magic. It is about a sports relay team in 1970s America who accidentally kill a wretch who, in esoteric language, might be known as a Fetch ... a discarnate entity in physical form. He appears, though, as an omen of the immediate deaths of each member of the relay team. He is a life force of a devil incarnate, yet in his astral shell he is one phase removed from life. The wretch begins a banishing ritual of the four main characters, and therefore his own death at the beginning of the book is illusory."

I'll admit, as much as I love Morrissey, and do own this book. I've never been able to actually read it because it's so verbose and dense vocabulary wise. Almost kinda reminds me of Francis Yockey's Imperium, it's that bad. Morrissey's autobiography is a blur to me because of his verbose writing style.
I think he's a much better lyricist and poet than a writer. Maybe he'd be a good director, though?

I was reading the synopsis of List of the Lost, and it made me think, this would be a great A24 indie horror film. "The theme is demonology ... the left-handed path of black magic. It is about a sports relay team in 1970s America who accidentally kill a wretch who, in esoteric language, might be known as a Fetch ... a discarnate entity in physical form. He appears, though, as an omen of the immediate deaths of each member of the relay team. He is a life force of a devil incarnate, yet in his astral shell he is one phase removed from life. The wretch begins a banishing ritual of the four main characters, and therefore his own death at the beginning of the book is illusory."

I'll admit, as much as I love Morrissey, and do own this book. I've never been able to actually read it because it's so verbose and dense vocabulary wise. Almost kinda reminds me of Francis Yockey's Imperium, it's that bad. Morrissey's autobiography is a blur to me because of his verbose writing style.
I think he's a much better lyricist and poet than a writer. Maybe he'd be a good director, though?
I found it a breeze to read. I'm not much into movies.

I think it could make a half-decent film, but it would lose it's 'morrisseyness' the dense vocabulary and tangents are what make it unique and worth reading. It's oh so Morrissey, warts and all. This would struggle to come through in an adaptation.

Retitled:

"Bulbous salutation", it would have potential to win the 2022 Bad Sex in Film Award.​

Last edited:
Thanks to CGI, we now have the technology to make women's breasts do barrel rolls on screen. I say bring it on.

Oh yes! Let's take a 6-year-old impenetrably verbose and universally panned novella and turn it into a blockbuster. Or better still, an HBO series and a film franchise and an amusement park ride.

I haven't even read the book (M style discouraged me since english is not my first language)

Most of it could easily be chiseled and finessed into (if M would allow) an interesting film.

So, yes, why not.

Almost anything can be a good film in the right hands. It’s a fairly classic premise so I would think the appeal would be in the style and it’s emotional subtext. If it did happen I would like to see as much of the language left intact as possible, obviously a lot would get smoothed out, as it might give it an unsettling feeling slightly off kilter to reality make the audience pay more attention as they couldn’t really one out completely. It could give the film a feeling of otherness. Something more along the lines of maybe Donnie Dario in terms of visual vibe

Can we have a series of threads devoted to each chapter of the book? Better still, a thread for each paragraph (does this one have paragraphs?). I'm very sure it must have some good lines; they're what I like best. It could be something for us all to talk about for a long time.

Cronenberg should be involved. Maybe even Spielberg, Johnny Marr could play E.T.
Not Spielberg- David Lynch flipped through it but found it too confusing and passed it on to Werner Herzog, who found it decadent und whimsical. The jury is still out on Marr playing ET, though he can play the music of The Smiths!

Back
Top Bottom