Document and Eyewitness: An Intimate History Of Rough Trade by Neil Taylor

Dave2006

I think this belongs in collectors corner rather than Market place...

I was in Waterstones this afternoon and picked up a copy of Document and Eyewitness: An Intimate History Of Rough Trade I didn't buy it, but did have a quick look for Smiths stuff.

There is a photo in there (sorry for the dodgy camera phone shot) - it's a photo of one of the Rough Trade postcards to promote The Queen is Dead, this postcard was sent to Rough Trade with a pantone card clipped to it, the caption underneath reads:
"Pantone 264C - used for the cover of 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' - sent to Rough Trade as a guide by Morrissey, who requested on the reverse that a book of Pantone colours be sent to him"​

My first thought was 'But that's a Queen is Dead shot, it must be the text colour from QiD.' But then I thought 'Ah, but the cover of Bigmouth is pink. Must be that Pantone.'.

Which makes me wonder - how long were Rough Trade using those postcards (QiD was released in June 1986) if Morrissey was able to make choices about the colour of Bigmouth (Released in May 1986)?

Either way, an interesting nugget....

Dave

can you take a picture of The Sundays on the next page?

C'mon if Dave has been caught by taking photos of a book in a bookshop, he'll be charged for theft.

:p I didn't realise it was a crime - naughty yes, but theft? Crikey. I'll hand myself in at Stretford nick later...

I've also heard that Warner Brothers are contacting all 5000+ Smiths fans that have downloaded the 'Unreleased' album. Transportation to the colonies awaits... :lbf:

Dave

:p I didn't realise it was a crime - naughty yes, but theft? Crikey. I'll hand myself in at Stretford nick later...

I've also heard that Warner Brothers are contacting all 5000+ Smiths fans that have downloaded the 'Unreleased' album. Transportation to the colonies awaits... :lbf:

Dave

And how are they going to do that then? Track all static and dynamic IP's from the downloading service? They're on Youtube now anyway, the cat is out of the bag.

P.

And how are they going to do that then? Track all static and dynamic IP's from the downloading service? They're on Youtube now anyway, the cat is out of the bag.

P.

I was trying to be sarcastic Peter - copyright theft and piracy are the same sort of thing aren't they? The record industry keep trying to scare off free-loaders by sending out threatening emails to users of file sharing sites - but like you say, once the cat is out of the bag they have lost.

That's the same shot used for the spanish Nuevos Medios QID cassette.

Yes, it's an alternative image of Alan Delon - it was used on the Spanish cassette (here is mine on Flax's wonderful site)
hi_1986_thequeenisdeadtape_spain_1.jpg

It was also used on a Rough Trade promo postcard for the album - I'm committing all sorts of crimes here - see the scan from Peepholism...

Dave

Dave

Back
Top Bottom