Depeche Mode's Tour Of The Universe won't restart until May 30 at London's O2...

The Seeker of Good Songs

...at the earliest, as the upcoming dates in Poland, Latvia and Lithuania are the latest shows canceled because of singer Dave Gahan's illness.

Live Nation Poland announced the cancellation May 20, followed by the band's Web site confirming the two others had been scrapped - May 25 in Riga, promoted by Baltic Development Group, and a Makroconcerts show May 27 at Vilnius Zalgirio Stadium in Lithuania.
A spokesman for Sensible Events, the Live Nation-owned agency that produces the act's global tours, said there will be an announcement on future shows as soon as a decision has been made.
The three new cancellations join a list that already includes Greece, Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia and Croatia
"The cancellations come as a major blow starting with only the second show of Depeche Mode's sellout, 36-date European stadium tour, with ticket sales to date of more than 1.4 million," Sensible Events chief Andrew Zweck told Pollstar shortly after the seven shows in The Balkans had been pulled.
All ticketholders are being asked to be patient and wait to see which of the shows can be rescheduled.
Gahan's illness, which is said to be a strain of gastroenteritis, is more serious than first thought and came after the May 10 opening night in Israel attracted 50,000 fans to Tel Aviv's Ramat Gan Stadium.
Greek promoter Didi Music hoped Gahan would recover within 24 hours and the canceled May 12 show could be rescheduled for the following day, but Gahan’s condition didn't allow it and he's now been sidelined for more than a week.
A representative for promoter Shuki Weiss, who co-produced the Tel Aviv show with German promoter Marek Lieberberg, said it had been such a success that it may help attract more acts to what's been a troubled region.
The band opted to start the tour in Israel in recognition of their decision to cancel a 2006 Tel Aviv show, which was to be the final date of the European tour, because of major conflict on the border with Lebanon.
After London, the tour was set to continue to Holland's Pinkpop Festival May 31, the event's 40th anniversary, and then on to Germany for more shows with Lieberberg at Hamburg, Dusseldorf, Leipzig, Berlin, Frankfurt and Munich.

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/05/20/667928.aspx

Yeah, I read about it this afternoon.
I sure hope the London show will go ahead! Or else it would be the second time in a couple of weeks that I've traveled to London for nothing, after last week's Royal Albert Hall cancellation. :tears:
Well, not nothing, cause I'm going to the Brixton gig on Friday but Depeche Mode was (is, I hope!) the main reason we're going to London.
Let's just hope Dave gets well soon, not just for the shows but for him and his family. Sounds more serious than what was first stated.

Sounds more serious than what was first stated.
Yes, two weeks of stomach flu or whatever would not be comfortable.
Wonder if it was something he picked up while in Israel, and it hit him in Athens. Doesn't sound like it was food related thing.

Any form of gastro or food poisoning will leave you weak and out of energy for days even if you're not ill anymore. My guess (hope) is that he is just regaining his strength. He needs to be 100% to do the shows, with him singing and dancing for 2 hours straight every night.
There were some rumours of suspected colon cancer, but that's something I'd rather not think about right now. :(

No idea...
DM is supposed to headline the pinkpop festival in Holland next week and the papers are saying it's now very unsure if they'll be there.
They are writing Dave Gahan underwent surgery.
That doesn't sound like gastro to me! :tears:
It's not been confirmed officialy but the director of this festival is always very open and honest about things.

No idea...
DM is supposed to headline the pinkpop festival in Holland next week and the papers are saying it's now very unsure if they'll be there.
They are writing Dave Gahan underwent surgery.
That doesn't sound like gastro to me! :tears:
It's not been confirmed officialy but the director of this festival is always very open and honest about things.

I really hope he's ok :tears:

Back
Top Bottom