Dennis Herring (producer) / Twitter - Extraordinary story about the Smiths' songwriting and recording

This is something I've never heard before. The story is told on Twitter by Dennis Herring, who produced Modest Mouse.

IMG_0638.jpg
IMG_0639.jpg
IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg

:lbf:
o no Le :frogface: doesnt need a forum...:lbf:
when his trolls spam the moz one:blushing:
you need real fans for a forum not twitter/instagram bots:lbf:
what are the dumb :frogface: 'fans' going to discuss on a :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: forum?
wigs tats and comets?:hammer:

:)

FYI 'nerak' has more 'followers' in the dumb 'instagram/twitter'
than the tiny knobber :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
:hammer:

What's that smell........?
Is it horses , pigs ......? No it's bulls@@t

The songs and their genesis have been discussed at length over the years.
Someone trying to make a name for themselves on the back of Morrissey - what a surprise!

What's that smell........?
Is it horses , pigs ......? No it's bulls@@t

The songs and their genesis have been discussed at length over the years.
Someone trying to make a name for themselves on the back of Morrissey - what a surprise!

Yeah because if I wanted to make a name for myself the first idea that would spring to mind would be to make up a story about a pretty irrelevant pop star of the 80's 🙄

They found each other "insufferable"? There go all my Marrissey illusions!

Uh-huh.

Huh, Morrissey says the exact same things about his current band / current record in relation to his time in the Smiths and you never seem to roll your eyes at that.

Well, this is true but he didn't have to put up with Johnnys gangs behind the back gossip. So, maybe there was at least that.

It would have been nice to think If he stayed with Johnny, he would have stayed as sharp as he was , for sure Johnny would have called him on a few things, would have protected him from a few things but the Moz we have now was always the moz we were gonna have.
I always thought " stay with your own kind, and I'll stay with mine" was the kind of mindset that was always gonna go this way, his England was always gonna clash more and more as time created corpses out of all our passed todays

Getting back to your general catty point, he sung on some bad backing tracks, this is true. The frustration of being a Smiths, Morrissey fan is that you leave most records disappointed as you know he can do way, way better. He just needs the music to excite him.

All this said, He Knows I'd Love To See Him. Last Night M Street Suecdehead, Everyday is like Sunday , November Spawned A Monster , Will Never Marry , Spring Heeled Jin, Now My Heart Is Full Maladjusted and a few more equal the Smiths , I think its objectively fair to say .
Johnny hasn't had one song that even comes close to smiths classic - if he has its not more than two
I'm not sure there was ever a Johnny 'gang', except in Morrissey's head. But there will always be people who gloried in the demise of the Smiths and were desperate to make two enemy 'camps' for the sake of gossip, like this Modest Mouse producer. I've never, ever understood how Smiths fans could do that though.

My point wasn't really catty, it was just the truth. Morrissey's solo success stands alone - he made it whilst carrying an often sub-par band, elevated plodding material into memorable songs under his own steam. Johnny, well, what can you say? He coasted and coasted and twiddled his thumbs and then came storming out 'solo' at the age of 50, like he wanted to make up for lost time. But as long as Morrissey releases pap like "People are the Same Everywhere" and Johnny writes bland, dismal tosh like "Born with a question / Born with a future past / In my invention / Call me a natural act", most folks will miss them and wonder.

Last week 'Electronic' was the best time of his life, and the week before that it was The The. Next week it will be the Cribs or that time he played on an Oasis album for 2 minutes. Nobody will buy the story then either.

Last week 'Electronic' was the best time of his life, and the week before that it was The The. Next week it will be the Cribs or that time he played on an Oasis album for 2 minutes. Nobody will buy the story then either.

I'm sure all those band experiences were a picnic compared to his time in the Smiths! I think he's been pretty guarded to the press about exactly how miserable he was in the Smiths, how long he wanted to get out and the source of his misery. The story in Twitter, told in confidence, is I'm sure just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm sure all those band experiences were a picnic compared to his time in the Smiths! I think he's been pretty guarded to the press about exactly how miserable he was in the Smiths, how long he wanted to get out and the source of his misery. The story in Twitter, told in confidence, is I'm sure just the tip of the iceberg.

There's a Mike Joyce interview - it might have been that DVD he did with Andy Rourke - where he notes how Marr didn't quit The Smiths entirely spontaneously - "he made sure he'd bought himself a decent house, and then he quit" - something like that.

Except by Johnny's own admission, he wasn't miserable until the last few months. He even said, "I was three feet off the ground the whole time." He contradicts himself endlessly, which I think is because a) he's had 30 years of being pressured to 'justify' leaving and b) the ongoing estrangement from Morrissey increases his defensiveness.

There is almost a pattern to Johnny's responses. I get the sense that when things are going well or they've had a 'Cheshire pub meet', he talks happily about The Smiths as an amazing time (look up the Paul Morley interview on YouTube from 2009). When they're not talking / he feels that he's being 'ghosted' or whatever, he talks about an "I Told You I Was Right" tour, sings "Now I know how Johnny Marr felt" and thanks every other singer on earth at an awards ceremony, that kind of thing. And like I said before, there are people who glory in stirring this up and Johnny sometimes falls into their traps.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom