Curtis Butler Has Died - Morrissey Central (16 Feb, 2019)

"Curtis, who was from Manchester, and who followed Morrissey tours all over the world for many years … who was loved by all of us in our own strange way … has taken leave of this unhappy planet.

Curtis, I am so sorry that I could not be the global star that you wanted me to be: but it is difficult in such a narrow and moronic world.
I am blessed to have known you, and I fully understand how generally unbearable modern life is.
Thank you for all that you have done for me … there is another world, there is a better world … well there MUST be.

I will see you again.
My dearest love to you."

MORRISSEY.
February 2019

In the video below, Curtis can be seen climbing on stage at approximately 2:11, wearing his fantastic WE HATE WILLIAM AND KATE t-shirt.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/curtis-butler-has-died

Further,
Lyn Boorer posted (prior to the Central post).

20190216_202056.jpg

FB_IMG_1550348396086.jpg

RIP.
A very direct message from Morrissey.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might not be suicide. Remember Michael Hutchence? They say 85% of male suicides are really just dudes pulling an INXS.

He's right. My best friend Barry has actually trained his pitbull Reggie to act as a spotter when he does a choke-whack. Regardless, I'm just glad Kurt went out happy. RIP!

I don't think that Curtis Butler wasn't an "odd chap" at all. Curtis was clearly a very dedicated Morrissey fan he had good taste.

I feel so sorry for his family and friends. :cry:

What Morrissey said in his tribute was something personal between him and Curtis.

I didn't know Curtis Butler on a personal level at all. It sounds like he was quite young when he died.

Perhaps they had a conversation and Curtis had wished that Morrissey was a bigger star and so forth. This could actually be something personal shared between them. Please do not assume, nor shall I. I just like to see multiple sides to stories.
I couldn't sign in to my account from my phone hence the anonymous. Apologies and I didn't know Curtis but I know quite a few people who did. Each one is torn up by this, my heart and condolences go out to each one of you and I couldn't be more sorry for your loss. Life indeed is difficult whether here or there. This mentality is what brings us all together, here and at shows, in the first place. Let's shed a little love and insight into moments like this. Perhaps some fun stories from those who shared some time with him would be great. Peace and love to you all.

RIP Curtis. The indisputable number one fan and known that way to Moz.

Though I never knew you at all,
You had the grace to hold yourself, while those around you on the barrier crawled.

But they can never taint you in my eyes,
No, they can never touch you now.

Find Your Peace.

Perhaps they had a conversation and Curtis had wished that Morrissey was a bigger star and so forth. This could actually be something personal shared between them. Please do not assume, nor shall I. I just like to see multiple sides to stories.

Exactly. Especially if he was a super fan I could see this being something he talked about a lot with him. Morrissey might actually feel like he would want to live up to the ideas his most dedicated fans hold especially in these times of grieving where you feel the most guilty

Sad. I didn’t know this person but I can’t not feel sad for him and his family. You always feel like there will be time until you realize there isn’t
Bless Him. We all know a Curtis.
Poignant photo in his Morrissey jacket.
Lovely words from Morrissey.

It could have been a great moment though if he had omitted one line - Curtis, I am so sorry that I could not be the global star that you wanted me to be: but it is difficult in such a narrow and moronic world.
I wouldn't disagree with that. If so why couldn't Skinny just make that point without having to make a sly dig at someone who has just lost their life? Skinny is a right c***.

Sad news indeed! And "Superfly" is such a classic album, too... He will be missed!
Ha Im just back this evening from seeing a Curtis Mayfield tribute at the Union Chapel. Anyway it's touching that Morrissey cares about this fan. I hope it wasn't suicide... Horrid feeling from tone of the post. Anyone know??

I still have his phone number. I sold him a ticket to the Marr gig at the Deaf Institute. An odd chap, when all said and done. The kind of unquestioning fan Morrissey liked. Sad times for his family. And I must say - it is a little shitty of Morrissey to bemoan his lack of success when someone has died. Leave it.

Well done young fellow. You have finally proved what most of us have thought all along.
You really are the biggest wanker on the worldwide web.

I'm presumbing this was suicide? Rather than blathering on about the role of who's the biggest superfan or the nature of ego, how about some of you arseholes have a sense of humanity? Try it, you might be nicer people.

It would certainly be more appropriate to read a few nice words about Curtis from someone who has known him. Just like Lyn did.

And with this message from The Moz Aztec Camera imploded and was never seen or heard from again. I bet he is in a foetus position on the floor in Malibu and will later be in contact with the flat earth society on how to possibly turn this story into something else that has everything to do with America.

Curtis and Margaret have really been blessed by their idol.

Not my Butler but he served the master alright.

Godspeed (what does that mean)?

I am not a "barrier" person and in truth I never knew enough about any of the superfans to pass comment now, but Curtis was known to a lot of the Manchester crowd and it's tragic for anyone to lose their life at a young age. A very small group of people ever become "superfans" - but from Margaret to Curtis and even Julia, it seems to me that there is often an unhappiness simmering beneath that devotion and it shouldn't be cause for hatred.

Morrissey is just a man. A talented writer and someone we're fond of, but that's all. He is not a hero or a God, he cannot save people from their problems - but if his words have helped one person to hold on, that is something. I sometimes wonder what kind of burden that must be - to be the lifeboat in the storm.

The California Son has been trying to help you people indirectly for the last 15 years. He owes you selfish people nothing, but the guilt of having to be in The Smiths to launch his solo career and having to sing all those shitty Brittish oh I am depressed, cold and dank, warm summer days indoors bullshit has made him feel guilty. He probably even regrets leaving LA and going to Brittin with Chrissie Hynde in 1977. It started with "The Importance of Being Morrissey" where he tried to get you selfish pricks to see his real life in Moz Angeles and who he really is to make you people happier. Listen to what he says in the beginning about not being depressed and even what a young lil' Sammy and his other nephew say. Now he has made a self titled album called "The California Son" He loves the sun, beach, tacos, pizza, spaghetti, playing basketball and baseball and hates Brittin and the "royal family". Wake the f*** up and try the things that he really likes in nnn nn n n nn nn n it.

Last edited:
never heard his name until now, but i hope truly he rests well. does anyone know why he’s left so early? he looked to be quite young.

I believe he had a heroin addiction, since he once posted a picture of his safe needle kit on his IG. But now is not the time for gossip. I didn't know him, but saw him at shows several times. This is sad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom