Copyright issues: I might have broken a rule of member conduct

chica

v2.0
I often google pictures and texts and post them here, is there a way to find out whether they have been copyrighted? I'd hate to cause a lawsuit against this site, and I would also hate to be banned. Thanks to PregnantForTheLastTime for bringing this problem to my attention.

TOS, rule #6:

upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party

I often google pictures and texts and post them here, is there a way to find out whether they have been copyrighted? I'd hate to cause a lawsuit against this site, and I would also hate to be banned. Thanks to PregnantForTheLastTime for bringing this problem to my attention.

TOS, rule #6:

As long as you haven't attempted to make money out of those pictures and texts you got from other internet sites, copyright holders won't take legal action against you.

Hope you use your common sense rather than posting a thread asking obvious questions.

As long as you haven't attempted to make money out of those pictures and texts you got from other internet sites, copyright holders won't take legal action against you.

Hope you use your common sense rather than posting a thread asking obvious questions.

But I honestly know absolutely nothing about copyright! And when PFTLT warned me about it, it really startled me. I had to ask someone, Kewpie, don't be so harsh. :o Isn't it best to ask this type of question in this section?

Sorry, Kewpie, this is completely untrue. But it is a common misconception. Copyright exists from the moment a work is created. It doesn't need to be registered, that only helps defend a copyright in court. There is also no such thing as a "10% Law," under which if you change something by 10% or more, the copyright becomes yours.

http://www.fplc.edu/thomasfield/ipbasics/copyright-on-the-internet.php

It's all academic, no one is going to sue you over pictures you post on a public message board... probably.

Wrong. That is what people often think, but it doesn't matter if you make money or not. Perhaps you should study the issue before you decide what is common sense and what is obvious.

Not only are you trying to suppress someone seeking information, but you are spreading false information. It is unlikely that someone will track the information to this site, but it is still a violation of copyright, just like this sites download section is, whether the music being made available for download is commercially available or not.

You really should look into this issue further if you regard yourself as an authority on it.

I have just picked up the nearest book to me, purely coincidental - it was 'Panic On The Streets' by Phill Gatenby.

It says
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, in any form or by any means, without permission from the publisher.

So even me writing that bit has broken copyright laws. I dont suppose Phill reads this site, so I should get away with it;)

So reproducing copyrighted pieces of work can get this site into trouble - highly unlikely - but still possible.

Jukebox Jury

I have just picked up the nearest book to me, purely coincidental - it was 'Panic On The Streets' by Phill Gatenby.

It says
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, in any form or by any means, without permission from the publisher.

So even me writing that bit has broken copyright laws. I dont suppose Phill reads this site, so I should get away with it;)

So reproducing copyrighted pieces of work can get this site into trouble - highly unlikely - but still possible.

Jukebox Jury

I wonder if the author was granted permission to use the lyric as the title of the afrorementioned book? :D

love

Grim

I wonder if the author was granted permission to use the lyric as the title of the afrorementioned book? :D

love

Grim

I'm not sure the author needed to have permission to use those four words as a title. Those four words have been used many times before Morrissey put them together to make one line in a song.
Also, to my knowledge, Morrissey hasn't sued the author, so it must be alright..... I mean, when has Morrissey not attempted to sue someone who he feels has wronged him:D

Jukebox Jury

I'm not sure the author needed to have permission to use those four words as a title. Those four words have been used many times before Morrissey put them together to make one line in a song.
Also, to my knowledge, Morrissey hasn't sued the author, so it must be alright..... I mean, when has Morrissey not attempted to sue someone who he feels has wronged him:D

Jukebox Jury

I've never heard of any court cases concerning Morrissey, I'm sure if there had I'd have read about them on here, I think you are just a fantasist, young man!

Oh & another thing whatabout your 'name'? Hmmmn? http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/jbj.htm

love

Grim

TOS, rule #6:

Jesus f***ing christ!
Get a hobby or something....

Kewpie, you know how I hate to correct you :D:D, buit i believe that you are wrong, copy right is copy right. The owner of said photos can sue you regardless of wether you're planning on making money out their product or not.
I know this because, I, myself have had to retract a few pictures from a my blogger account (from which I make no money).

Last edited:
Jesus f***ing christ!
Get a hobby or something....

What a brilliant idea! Thanks!

Could you please suggest some hobbies? Something you personally enjoy and practice? Maybe following people around internet forums and letting them know that they annoy you? :D Sounds fun, I may try it later!

What a brilliant idea! Thanks!

Could you please suggest some hobbies? Something you personally enjoy and practice? Maybe following people around internet forums and letting them know that they annoy you? :D Sounds fun, I may try it later!

chica
Maybe you should first post a thread asking what you can do on this internet forum to annoy people that would not get you banned or given a warning - you wouldn't want to be banned when you didn't have the right information, would you;)

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
You can't copyright a title. The lyric for that title has a copyright but I'm sure it would be hard to win a lawsuit without the entire body of work being used.

The whole "No portion of this can be blah blah blah" is true but there are exceptions like if you were reviewing the book you could quote it with limitations.

Now, as far as posting pictures, songs, etc.. profit or not, you are infringing up the copyright if you do that here.

The terms of service tell you not to do this. In the event that someone does do this, the onus is on the owner of the copyright to make a request for it to be taken down. That request needs to go to the owner of the site and I believe the requestor needs to provide proof that they are indeed the owner (or a legal representative of said owner). This is only true of this site. Other sites may have similar policies. Your mileage may vary.

Kewpie, you know how I hate to correct you :D:D, buit i believe that you are wrong, copy right is copy right. The owner of said photos can sue you regardless of wether you're planning on making money out their product or not.
I know this because, I, myself have had to retract a few pictures from a my blogger account (from which I make no money).

Actually copy right is copyright. :D

You can't copyright a title. The lyric for that title has a copyright but I'm sure it would be hard to win a lawsuit without the entire body of work being used.

The whole "No portion of this can be blah blah blah" is true but there are exceptions like if you were reviewing the book you could quote it with limitations.

Now, as far as posting pictures, songs, etc.. profit or not, you are infringing up the copyright if you do that here.

The terms of service tell you not to do this. In the event that someone does do this, the onus is on the owner of the copyright to make a request for it to be taken down. That request needs to go to the owner of the site and I believe the requestor needs to provide proof that they are indeed the owner (or a legal representative of said owner). This is only true of this site. Other sites may have similar policies. Your mileage may vary.

Stevie Nicks stole a song from me. I need an Internet lawyer to sue her and I was wondering if you are available. You seem to know your stuff.

Sorry, Kewpie, this is completely untrue. But it is a common misconception. Copyright exists from the moment a work is created. It doesn't need to be registered, that only helps defend a copyright in court. There is also no such thing as a "10% Law," under which if you change something by 10% or more, the copyright becomes yours.

http://www.fplc.edu/thomasfield/ipbasics/copyright-on-the-internet.php

It's all academic, no one is going to sue you over pictures you post on a public message board... probably.

Very good, I am impressed. Too often people change the actual law to their perception of what the law should be.

Very good, I am impressed. Too often people change the actual law to their perception of what the law should be.

judges, mostly.

I have written things and have copyright, and if anyone published anywhere without permission I would have their ass over a spit

So I guess that publishing pics of someone's vagina giving birth is acceptable, because it happens to be a past event, and the way of deducement is that one is easily mistaken for another?

Tags
boring crazy scots stalkers
Back
Top Bottom