Copeland Tells Talking Heads, The Smiths to Reform

"I don't know anything about the Smiths, but..." pretty much sums it up.

"I don't know anything about the Smiths, but..." pretty much sums it up.

I'll complete that sentence:

I don't know anything about good music in general".

I'll complete that sentence:

I don't know anything about good music in general".

Remember Moz & Johnny in that creepy dungeon-type Smiths interview on YouTube? "We didn't need The Police!"

Remember Moz & Johnny in that creepy dungeon-type Smiths interview on YouTube? "We didn't need The Police!"

Aye, they scorned their offer of a support act too.

Thank christ.

You young folks may not remember, but the Copeland brothers were enormously influential in independent music back in the day, particularly in the U.S.: Miles as the president of I.R.S. Records and Ian as booking agent for numerous bands such as R.E.M., the Cramps, Police, the B-52's and pretty much every interesting band from Britannia. Just sayin'. Their television show "the Cutting Edge" was where I first saw X, Henry Rollins (with long hair, reciting his poetry!), Wall of Voodoo, Fleshtones, Let's Active, etc.

Stewart is a very exuberant guy and it's easy to sort of want to distance yerself when he's in full spaz mode. But he does make a good point. Considering how genius and influential the Talking Heads were, isn't it sad that they can't put their egos aside (ahem, Mr. Byrne) and get together, while they are still relatively spry and able to perform.

The Smiths obviously have a more complex situation (what with the legal situation) but I hope Morrissey 'n Marr can see their way to working together again someday, if they would like.

There's more chance of Morrissey & Marr appearing together at the front & back respectively of a queue to felate Mike Joyce than there is of Chris Frantz, Jerry Harrison & Tina Weymouth getting on a stage with David Byrne ever again.

i actually dont see the point in bands reforming.
it can never be as good as it was originally.

one offs is different.
pink floyd at live8 was wonderful.
led zeppelin at 02 was amazing.
mick jones playing with joe strummer at the acton town hall firemans benefit gig on the spur of the moment a couple of months before joe passed away was the closest i ever came to believing in god.

if marr strolled on stage halfway through a morrissey gig and they played 6-7 smiths songs. oh yes. a tour, NO!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom