Climate Change Summit in Cancun starts with a call to the goddess Ixchel

That's understandable. I don't believe that they're always incompatible. My ex-step-grandfather (don't ask) was a professor of biology at a secular college, as well as a born-again Christian. He didn't teach evolution, on principle. He also once asked my dad to design a house for him that had a removable roof so that God could easily scoop his family up during the rapture. I have no doubt that he was a credible and competent teacher of the scientific principles of biology, but if he'd been a researcher, I would have questioned his scientific credentials.

did your dad design it?

This is taking the thread to another topic, and you probably know where I stand, but I think it is unfair to blame "Christianity" because those who do/did what you say are not following Christianity. Christ's teachings do not "teach" what you say they do.
People/groups may call themselves Christian when in practise they are not.
I will make the statement which will infuriate many....Catholicism, as in Roman Catholic/The Pope/etc., is not Christianity.

popcorn-MJ.gif

This is taking the thread to another topic, and you probably know where I stand, but I think it is unfair to blame "Christianity" because those who do/did what you say are not following Christianity. Christ's teachings do not "teach" what you say they do.
People/groups may call themselves Christian when in practise they are not.
I will make the statement which will infuriate many....Catholicism, as in Roman Catholic/The Pope/etc., is not Christianity.

You can judge them all you want on whether they are real Christians.
But the bottom line is that millions of people were raped, tortured and slaughtered in the name of Jesus.

Jesus was so knowledgeable and powerful and yet, he couldn't foresee that his vacation on planet Earth would cause so much damage.

The biggest failure in the history of humanity.

Or maybe he knew the consequences ahead of time and did it anyway just because he's a big celestial sadist.

...Or maybe he knew the consequences ahead of time and did it anyway just because he's a big celestial sadist.
to quote Depeche Mode:
I don't want to start
Any blasphemous rumours
But I think that God's
Got a sick sense of humor
And when I die
I expect to find Him laughing

to quote Depeche Mode:
I don't want to start
Any blasphemous rumours
But I think that God's
Got a sick sense of humor
And when I die
I expect to find Him laughing

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. Bwaaahahahaha!" - Jesus (right before he started laughing histerically)

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. Bwaaahahahaha!" - Jesus (right before he started laughing histerically)

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34
Think not that I am come to send peace, etc. - The meaning of this difficult passage will be plain, when we consider the import of the word peace, and the expectation of the Jews. I have already had occasion to remark, (Matthew 10:12)*, that the word שלום shalom, rendered by the Greeks ειρηνη, was used among the Hebrews to express all possible blessings, temporal and spiritual; but especially the former. The expectation of the Jews was, that, when the Messiah should come, all temporal prosperity should be accumulated on the land of Judea; therefore την γην, in this verse, should not be translated the earth, but this land. The import of our Lord's teaching here is this, Do not imagine, as the Jews in general vainly do, that I am come to send forth, (βαλλειν), by forcing out the Roman power, that temporal prosperity which they long for; I am not come for this purpose, but to send forth (βαλλειν) the Roman sword, to cut off a disobedient and rebellious nation, the cup of whose iniquity is already full, and whose crimes cry aloud for speedy vengeance. See also on Luke 12:49**. From the time they rejected the Messiah, they were a prey to the most cruel and destructive factions; they employed their time in butchering one another, till the Roman sword was unsheathed against them, and desolated the land.
Adam Clarke - British Methodist theologian

*"And when ye come into an house, salute it." Matthew 10:12
Salute it - Λεγουτες, ειρηνη εν τω οικω τουτω, saying, "Peace be to this house." This clause, which, as explanatory of the word ασπασασθε, is necessary to the connection in which it now stands, is added, by the MSS. D and L, and forty-three others, the Armenian, Ethiopic, Slavonic, Saxon, Vulgate, all the copies of the old Itala, Theophylact, and Hilary. The clause is also found in several modern versions. The modern Greek has λεγοντες· ειρηνη εις το σκηπρι τουτο. The Italian, by Matthew, of Erberg, and of Diodati, renders it thus: Pace sia a questa casa. Peace be to this house.
It is found also in Wickliff, and in my old MS. Seyinge, pees be to this hous. Some suppose it is an addition taken from Luke; but there is nearly as much reason to believe he took it from Matthew.
Peace, שלום, among the Hebrews, had a very extensive meaning: - it comprehended all blessings, spiritual and temporal. Hence that saying of the rabbins, גדול שלום שכל הברכות כלולות בו Gadal shalom, shecol haberacoth culoloth bo. Great is Peace, for all other blessings are comprehended in it. To wish peace to a family, in the name and by the authority of Christ, was in effect a positive promise, on the Lord's side, of all the good implied in the wish. This was paying largely even beforehand. Whoever receives the messengers of God into his house confers the highest honor upon himself, and not upon the preacher, whose honor is from God, and who comes with the blessings of life eternal to that man and his family who receives him.
In India, it is customary for a way-faring man, when night draws on, to enter a house, and simply say, "Sir, I am a guest with you this night." If the owner cannot lodge him, he makes an apology, and the traveler proceeds to another house.

**"I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?"Luke 12:49
I am come to send fire - From the connection in which these words stand, both in this place and in Matthew, it appears as if our Lord intended by the word fire, not only the consuming influence of the Roman sword, but also the influence of his own Spirit in the destruction of sin. In both these senses this fire was already kindled: as yet, however, it appeared but as a spark, but was soon to break out into an all-consuming flame.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34
Think not that I am come to send peace, etc. - The meaning of this difficult passage will be plain, when we consider the import of the word peace, and the expectation of the Jews. I have already had occasion to remark, (Matthew 10:12)*, that the word שלום shalom, rendered by the Greeks ειρηνη, was used among the Hebrews to express all possible blessings, temporal and spiritual; but especially the former. The expectation of the Jews was, that, when the Messiah should come, all temporal prosperity should be accumulated on the land of Judea; therefore την γην, in this verse, should not be translated the earth, but this land. The import of our Lord's teaching here is this, Do not imagine, as the Jews in general vainly do, that I am come to send forth, (βαλλειν), by forcing out the Roman power, that temporal prosperity which they long for; I am not come for this purpose, but to send forth (βαλλειν) the Roman sword, to cut off a disobedient and rebellious nation, the cup of whose iniquity is already full, and whose crimes cry aloud for speedy vengeance. See also on Luke 12:49**. From the time they rejected the Messiah, they were a prey to the most cruel and destructive factions; they employed their time in butchering one another, till the Roman sword was unsheathed against them, and desolated the land.

*"And when ye come into an house, salute it." Matthew 10:12
Salute it - Λεγουτες, ειρηνη εν τω οικω τουτω, saying, "Peace be to this house." This clause, which, as explanatory of the word ασπασασθε, is necessary to the connection in which it now stands, is added, by the MSS. D and L, and forty-three others, the Armenian, Ethiopic, Slavonic, Saxon, Vulgate, all the copies of the old Itala, Theophylact, and Hilary. The clause is also found in several modern versions. The modern Greek has λεγοντες· ειρηνη εις το σκηπρι τουτο. The Italian, by Matthew, of Erberg, and of Diodati, renders it thus: Pace sia a questa casa. Peace be to this house.
It is found also in Wickliff, and in my old MS. Seyinge, pees be to this hous. Some suppose it is an addition taken from Luke; but there is nearly as much reason to believe he took it from Matthew.
Peace, שלום, among the Hebrews, had a very extensive meaning: - it comprehended all blessings, spiritual and temporal. Hence that saying of the rabbins, גדול שלום שכל הברכות כלולות בו Gadal shalom, shecol haberacoth culoloth bo. Great is Peace, for all other blessings are comprehended in it. To wish peace to a family, in the name and by the authority of Christ, was in effect a positive promise, on the Lord's side, of all the good implied in the wish. This was paying largely even beforehand. Whoever receives the messengers of God into his house confers the highest honor upon himself, and not upon the preacher, whose honor is from God, and who comes with the blessings of life eternal to that man and his family who receives him.
In India, it is customary for a way-faring man, when night draws on, to enter a house, and simply say, "Sir, I am a guest with you this night." If the owner cannot lodge him, he makes an apology, and the traveler proceeds to another house.

**"I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?"Luke 12:49
I am come to send fire - From the connection in which these words stand, both in this place and in Matthew, it appears as if our Lord intended by the word fire, not only the consuming influence of the Roman sword, but also the influence of his own Spirit in the destruction of sin. In both these senses this fire was already kindled: as yet, however, it appeared but as a spark, but was soon to break out into an all-consuming flame.

Funny how despite the convoluted and far fetched explanation, the literal meaning is precisely what happened.

Jesus should have planned his vacations a little better.

I mean... not "funny ha ha" but "funny bwaaaahahaha", just like Jesus did.

...I blame Christianity and the idiots that carry and spread their virus.

...But the bottom line is that millions of people were raped, tortured and slaughtered in the name of Jesus...

So do you have similar opinions of Islam and Muhammad?

So do you have similar opinions of Islam and Muhammad?

Of course I do.

After all, Islam, Judaism and Christianity are monotheistic religions that came from the same source. They're all Abrahamic religions. They're all spreading slightly different viruses for the same disease.

And that's why they all fight against each other, for the same sacred locations.

Somebody please tell them they're all the same thing.

I'm a little confused here, Seeker. Was your intention to persuade others by reasonable argument? :confused:
Or to reassure yourself that you are right by creating a test that you expected others to fail, then condemn them for not living up to the standards you have set on their behalf?

You see, I recently asked advice from someone I thought I could trust. Instead I got a lecture on why everything I thought, believed, felt and experienced was wrong, and I'd be much more likely to overcome my difficulty by adopting views remarkably similar to the ones they held.
To me they had missed the point. They failed to see compassion and encouragement would have been far more useful to me. But they were'nt really trying to help me (though they thought they were). They were trying to reassure themselves that the path they had committed to was worth the cost, and in the process they lost my trust. How? By placing judgement before mercy and adherence to their philosophy as higher than kindness towards others.

I think he is demon possessed. Do you think we can manage and drive his demons out in the name of Jesus over the internet? He could do with a little more peace (of mind). I am not sure if the demon possessed has to believe in the Lord and Jesus for it to work. In the Bible it was a requirement for healing, but was it also for demon riddance? We could give it a try, then we'd know.

Just because he keeps criticising Christianity and other organised religions which does not mean that he's practicising demonism or possessed by a demon (I know you're kidding, BTW). :rolleyes:

I'm a little confused here, Seeker. Was your intention to persuade others by reasonable argument? :confused:

A number of topics have been in this thread so I am unclear of which one you are referring.

Or to reassure yourself that you are right by creating a test that you expected others to fail, then condemn them for not living up to the standards you have set on their behalf?...

I don't need to reassure my self.
My commentary/questions are to get the opinions of others and for them to know mine.
Nobody asked my advice so I wasn't giving any (at least I don't think I was.)
I don't think Flax is devil possessed. He has a different world view than I.

Of course I do.

After all, Islam, Judaism and Christianity are monotheistic religions that came from the same source. They're all Abrahamic religions. They're all spreading slightly different viruses for the same disease.

And that's why they all fight against each other, for the same sacred locations.

Somebody please tell them they're all the same thing.

I think he is demon possessed. Do you think we can manage and drive his demons out in the name of Jesus over the internet? He could do with a little more peace (of mind). I am not sure if the demon possessed has to believe in the Lord and Jesus for it to work. In the Bible it was a requirement for healing, but was it also for demon riddance? We could give it a try, then we'd know.

:eek: OMG!!!!! He really is possessed!!!!! Can someone please call Rob Larsson? Would someone please think of the children!?!?!

Please note how the video is exactly 1:08 long........how creepy is that, aye?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Dunya
A number of topics have been in this thread so I am unclear of which one you are referring.
I meant your intention in starting the thread. Then I re-read post 4

The reason I posted the comments is to show, not that anyone cares, a bit of hypocrisy.
The Climate Symposium or whatever it is called is supposed to be a scientific effort, yet one of the main leaders invokes the name of an ancient religion's goddess, as if the goddess will be pleased with their work.
If it were a christian minister praying to Jesus to pleased with their work, people would be screaming about religion being incorporated into science, etc., etc.

As I said, no one really cares, but I thought I'd point it out.

Your interpretation is that no-one cares about the hypocricy, but maybe it was late, people were doing other things or they thought "not another pointless mud-slinging contest".

I don't need to reassure my self.
I find a lack of doubt worrying.

My commentary/questions are to get the opinions of others and for them to know mine.
Nobody asked my advice so I wasn't giving any (at least I don't think I was.)
I didn't say you were giving advice. My point was about the lack of compassion that can be shown by people who are convinced they are right.
However you did write
I will make the statement which will infuriate many..
and go on to show lack of respect to those who hold different views to you.

I don't think Flax is devil possessed. He has a different world view than I.
Well, it was late (for me) and I misunderstood. I thought they were referring to you, not Flax, being devil posessed. What can I say! My mistake. :o

Tags
mademelaugh peyote
Back
Top Bottom