Climate Change Summit in Cancun starts with a call to the goddess Ixchel

The Seeker of Good Songs

"Excellencies, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to COP16, welcome to CMP6!
Welcome to the land of the ancient Mayan goddess Ixchel!

Next to being the goddess of the moon, Ixchel was also the goddess of reason, creativity and weaving. May she inspire you -- because today, you are gathered in Cancun to weave together the elements of a solid response to climate change, using both reason and creativity as your tools...Excellencies, the goddess Ixchel would probably tell you that a tapestry is the result of the skilful interlacing of many threads. I am convinced that 20 years from now we will admire the policy tapestry that you have woven together and think back fondly to Cancun and the inspiration of the goddess Ixchel.

Thank you."

14r9ty.jpg

this is her

The reason I posted the comments is to show, not that anyone cares, a bit of hypocrisy.
The Climate Symposium or whatever it is called is supposed to be a scientific effort, yet one of the main leaders invokes the name of an ancient religion's goddess, as if the goddess will be pleased with their work.
If it were a christian minister praying to Jesus to pleased with their work, people would be screaming about religion being incorporated into science, etc., etc.

As I said, no one really cares, but I thought I'd point it out.

The ethics of the UK Climate Change Minister returning in a jumbo jet from the climate change talks to vote on student finances, to then return on a jumbo jet back to Cancun is lost on me...

Dave

The ethics of the UK Climate Change Minister returning in a jumbo jet from the climate change talks to vote on student finances, to then return on a jumbo jet back to Cancun is lost on me...

Dave

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

She didn't pray to Ixchel and nobody took it that way.

Climate change is real.

She didn't pray to Ixchel and nobody took it that way.

Climate change is real.

Yes but isn't it the equivalent of legitimate scientists having their work discredited simply because they have a belief if God.

The reason I posted the comments is to show, not that anyone cares, a bit of hypocrisy.
The Climate Symposium or whatever it is called is supposed to be a scientific effort, yet one of the main leaders invokes the name of an ancient religion's goddess, as if the goddess will be pleased with their work.
If it were a christian minister praying to Jesus to pleased with their work, people would be screaming about religion being incorporated into science, etc., etc.

As I said, no one really cares, but I thought I'd point it out.

I'm gonna take a wild guess, but I think people tend to hate on Jesus a little more because christianity is responsible for spreading hate like a virus and causing the deaths of millions of people all over the world for over 18 centuries.

I don't think Ixchel, whoever the hell she is, was very successful at bringing so much misery to the world like Jesus did.

Its unfair to blame Jesus himself though :straightface: after all he was not a Christian :rolleyes:
just really rockin Jew :thumb:

Oh I'm not blaming Jesus.
Jesus is a myth.
A generic, made up character with a generic name, who never said or did anything brilliant.

I blame Christianity and the idiots that carry and spread their virus.

Your evidence is a blog post which doesn't cite any references?

I understand that. All I was attempting was to show that the perception is out there that if a scientist has a religious belief people do question their credibility.

I'm gonna take a wild guess, but I think people tend to hate on Jesus a little more because christianity is responsible for spreading hate like a virus and causing the deaths of millions of people all over the world for over 18 centuries.

I don't think Ixchel, whoever the hell she is, was very successful at bringing so much misery to the world like Jesus did.

This is taking the thread to another topic, and you probably know where I stand, but I think it is unfair to blame "Christianity" because those who do/did what you say are not following Christianity. Christ's teachings do not "teach" what you say they do.
People/groups may call themselves Christian when in practise they are not.
I will make the statement which will infuriate many....Catholicism, as in Roman Catholic/The Pope/etc., is not Christianity.

I understand that. All I was attempting was to show that the perception is out there that if a scientist has a religious belief people do question their credibility.

That's understandable. I don't believe that they're always incompatible. My ex-step-grandfather (don't ask) was a professor of biology at a secular college, as well as a born-again Christian. He didn't teach evolution, on principle. He also once asked my dad to design a house for him that had a removable roof so that God could easily scoop his family up during the rapture. I have no doubt that he was a credible and competent teacher of the scientific principles of biology, but if he'd been a researcher, I would have questioned his scientific credentials.

Tags
mademelaugh peyote
Back
Top Bottom