Cleopatra Records Spins Into U.S. Distribution With Morrissey Biopic ‘Steven’ - Deadline

Cleopatra Records Spins Into U.S. Distribution With Morrissey Biopic ‘Steven’ - Deadline

Excerpt:

EXCLUSIVE: Brian Perera’s LA-based label Cleopatra Records is expanding into film distribution and production; eyeing projects focused on indie music and its icons. Its first move is acquiring all U.S. rights to Morrissey biopic Steven with Jack Lowden as the legendary British singer and front man of The Smiths. Jessica Brown Findlay also stars.

First-time helmer Mark Gill is directing Steven from a script he co-wrote with William Thacker, his collaborator on the 2014 Oscar nominated short The Voorman Problem. HanWay is handling international sales on the project, which is scheduled for production this month. EOne previously acquired UK rights. Cleopatra is planning a day-and-date release.

This is the first project to be theatrically distributed by Cleopatra’s film division, following a number of smaller ventures and partnerships on indie titles. It is looking to produce, finance and distribute three to four films a year.

I get the curiosity but for me personally I don't need or want every mystery solved, because you know what happens to mystery then don't you?

It gives way to knowledge and understanding if not in any absolute way and Spurs further thought. Endures a feeling or relative satisfaction. That's for me though, it probably does something different for you I'm guessing

It gives way to knowledge and understanding if not in any absolute way and Spurs further thought. Endures a feeling or relative satisfaction. That's for me though, it probably does something different for you I'm guessing

Yes it does all those things but there is less and less mystery now than there ever was because of social media. Everyone Knows everything while knowing nothing. I'll take and keep what little mystery I can these days :)

Nosebleed tunes couldn't be any worse than Happy Lovers At Last United, Fantastic Bird, Safe Warm Lancashire Home or the equally powerful Lifeguard On Duty.

Now tell someone tell me they are hidden gems. Well they're not hidden anymore but...

I won't go as far as to say they're hidden gems, I agree they're mostly awful, but Fantastic Bird isn't too bad. The production on Fantastic Bird is so bad though, or unfinished or whatever I guess, that it sticks out like a sore thumb in the middle of the reissued album. However, if it was recorded/mixed properly it wouldn't be any worse than a lot of his lesser tunes. Sometimes I like listening to those lighter tunes.

Yes it does all those things but there is less and less mystery now than there ever was because of social media. Everyone Knows everything while knowing nothing. I'll take and keep what little mystery I can these days :)

Man I really have to get used to this auto correct. Can't even do my bad special bad grammar bit as it's just to exhausting. That's cool, I'm not trying to say I know better than you or anything but I'll take clarity myself. There's what seems a infinite amount of mystery left to existence that I'll that what clarity I can get. Jimmy eat world can take there clarity though, I hate that album. Self titled was great though

I won't go as far as to say they're hidden gems, I agree they're mostly awful, but Fantastic Bird isn't too bad. The production on Fantastic Bird is so bad though, or unfinished or whatever I guess, that it sticks out like a sore thumb in the middle of the reissued album. However, if it was recorded/mixed properly it wouldn't be any worse than a lot of his lesser tunes. Sometimes I like listening to those lighter tunes.

Yep I definitely agree with everything you just said. It is the best of the worst but the stupidest thing with Bird is why it's on SP reissue in the first place when it's an Arsenal era track.

I'm also a big fan of the lighter tunes! That should be the title for his next album, or a new compilation.

Morrissey, The Lighter Tunes.

- - - Updated - - -

Man I really have to get used to this auto correct. Can't even do my bad special bad grammar bit as it's just to exhausting. That's cool, I'm not trying to say I know better than you or anything but I'll take clarity myself. There's what seems a infinite amount of mystery left to existence that I'll that what clarity I can get. Jimmy eat world can take there clarity though, I hate that album. Self titled was great though

I didn't think that that was where you were coming from at all and I get your motives too as I dabble in that way of thinking from time to time.

Yep I definitely agree with everything you just said. It is the best of the worst but the stupidest thing with Bird is why it's on SP reissue in the first place when it's an Arsenal era track.

I'm also a big fan of the lighter tunes! That should be the title for his next album, or a new compilation.

Morrissey, The Lighter Tunes.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think that that was where you were coming from at all and I get your motives too as I dabble in that way of thinking from time to time.

I like the title morrissey - lighter than if we're playing. I figured you didn't but based on some of my previous conversations here it seems best to play it safe in that way

I find it interesting that there are fans that couldn't care really what happened before the Smiths began.

Must be a category for fans who are interested in what happened and what brought him to become the person that he did,what shaped him in those formative years. Maybe that 'category' of fans could be called.... 'psychos!' :eek::lbf:

- - - Updated - - -

:DYES! and throwing peppermints out to the audience during the song!,as witnessed by (I think) Devoto.

Throwing peppermints in 3D. That would be awesome.

I like the title morrissey - lighter than if we're playing. I figured you didn't but based on some of my previous conversations here it seems best to play it safe in that way

Yes internet speech is another language we all have to learn.

I find it interesting that there are fans that couldn't care really what happened before the Smiths began.

Must be a category for fans who are interested in what happened and what brought him to become the person that he did,what shaped him in those formative years. Maybe that 'category' of fans could be called.... 'psychos!' :eek::lbf:

- - - Updated - - -

:DYES! and throwing peppermints out to the audience during the song!,as witnessed by (I think) Devoto.

Outside of the interviews and records I don't care about his life at all. I'm not sure why because I collect music biographies, but I just don't want to know. He said in a interview a few years ago that it's all in the music and I don't care who he lives with or any of that, really. I think it's because I formed an idea of him before the Internet, and I'd rather have never known about the lawsuits or have any idea who "Julia" is, or any of that.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom