christmas this year

P

Popparett

Christmas is strange this year.

No one came to see me, and I am not welcome in my family's homes, by orders of my father, who despises my existence.

So I married a music journalist who spends most of his time composing poetry. So I gave up law school to be an artist. So I donated my cut of inheritance from my grandfather to a charity. So I protested a rodeo event which my father sponsored. So for his birthday I gave my father a book about living an ethical life. So I never wanted to go to the Club with father. So I have friends of various backgrounds. So I sold the Mercedes I got for my last birthday to buy a hybrid vehicle a few months ago. So I told my father that I didn't understand why he went to a Christian church if he doesn't act in a way which would be favorable to Christ, and told him that he shouldn't pretend to be something he isn't. I am the "problem child," even though I see nothing wrong in what I have done. He takes everything as a direct attack, attempted assassination of his character, and so has ordered that I not be welcome in the homes he recently bought for my brother, my sister, and he and my mother.

My brother called. He got a new car from my father. My niece and nephew (brother's little ones) each received a $500 savings bond, $500 deposited in each of their bank accounts, and $200 gift cards for Toys 'R Us. My sister got 2 new horses for her stables, a pass for a week at the Golden Door, and two dalmation puppies.

My mother called and very hushedly wished me a merry Christmas, and told me that she would come and see me tomorrow if she could. I asked, and she says Dad didn't say a single word about me this morning...but not to get discouraged, he may "come around." She says that a few weeks ago he said that if I would just apologize for my rebelling against everything he is, and if I would come and live on one of his properties and admit that the life I chose was not a good one, he will forgive me and it will be like none of this had ever happened.

Hah, f*** him.

It was just nice to hear my mother's voice. I didn't think I would get to talk to her at all this Christmas.

My husband is away from home. He won't be back until New Year's Eve. I could have gone with him, but I have a project deadline for two days from now. If he were here with me, I wouldn't be feeling so down.

I think I'll have a martini.