"California Son" reviews in Salford Star (4/5 stars), Daily Mail (2/5 stars)

CAN MORRISSEY ESCAPE POLITICAL FALL-OUT WITH NEW ALBUM? - Salford Star
By Ian Leslie
Four out Five Salford Stars ****
Star date: 19th May 2019

DOES MORRISSEY STILL HAVE ANY CRED LEFT AT ALL?

Morrissey, who once had his photo taken outside Salford Lads Club, has a new album out called California Son, which itself is ironic considering his moronic right wing outbursts of late. Here, Ian Leslie reviews the tracks and ponders whether the Trafford singer and American immigrant can overcome 'commercial suicide'...

California Son review by Tim De Lisle (2 of 5 stars) - Daily Mail. Scan of print review posted by Alexi below.

Last edited by a moderator:
14A5C6C5-AF59-4436-B06A-0744022533BB.jpeg
In today’s Mail on Sunday

Brand new cover tracks means not the cover he just released, chain gang, or those he had been covering on the tour not to long ago ie new cover songs. Yeesh. Also barely left a trace is some revisionist thinking. He’s been touring and selling out a lot of shows with a set list not comprised of smiths songs for a while now

This Mail "review" is completely poor.
You don't have to be on any side of the love / hate team to see crappy journalism for what it is.
He takes a shot at Autobiography in a record review (seemingly forgetting how successful it was) and the rest isn't even close to a reasoned assessment.
The last sentence is just ridiculous.
A 60 yr old man releasing a covers album (because he can and wants to) has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with playing a 'truculent teenager' - the only thing tennager-like is the mentality of the writer (subpar 6th former at that).
Objectivity is obviously a thing of the past.
Regards,
FWD.

‘DOES MORRISSEY STILL HAVE ANY CRED LEFT AT ALL?‘ :rolleyes::sleeping:

Some would say he has more right cred
than left cred these days.

;)

This Mail "review" is completely poor.
You don't have to be on any side of the love / hate team to see crappy journalism for what it is.
He takes a shot at Autobiography in a record review (seemingly forgetting how successful it was) and the rest isn't even close to a reasoned assessment.
The last sentence is just ridiculous.
A 60 yr old man releasing a covers album (because he can and wants to) has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with playing a 'truculent teenager' - the only thing tennager-like is the mentality of the writer (subpar 6th former at that).
Objectivity is obviously a thing of the past.
Regards,
FWD.

Gotta agree. The part where he equates brand new with new songs I.e covers of modern songs makes my head hurt

Maybe it's because you all live on a tiny ass island, the county I live in is bigger than your country. But the UK is a bit sick in the head. You all have island fever. How. Why. What is the purpose of harping on a musician like morrissey over and over and over again. Your whole country needs to be on Dr Phil. Really? 2 stars from the daily mail?

You all need to redneck up a bit and go down to a honky tonk relax a bit.
This song is life

Blikey, what a c*** tit chipper curry wacker! Another jealous foreigner talkin' shit about The California Son. WTF is a Trapford singer. There are so many things wrong with this starting with The California Son is an "American immigrant". His parents were American immigrants and they didn't settle in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas...etc like Brittish immigrants, they settled in Moz Angeles. The California Son was born in the USA m8 inn n nnn nnnn n n n nnn n nn it. Get your facts straight foreigner.

'Trafford' is an area of Gtr Manchester. I think the intro is pointing out that he has lived America.

It was always the case that if a review is poor, the fans decry it. Always. The good ones get exalted. Let's stop pretending it's anything else.

It was always the case that if a review is poor, the fans decry it. Always. The good ones get exalted. Let's stop pretending it's anything else.

o_O

FFS, Skinny you know full well that the Puppet parrots exalt the bad reviews.:lbf:

The weakest of gruel for Sunday dinner. Ó dear.
Noone exalted the Salford Star which gave him a fair review, and 4 out of 5 stars for the album.

“The excellent World Peace is None of Your Business was improved upon on with the release of (the ridiculously underrated) Low in High School.”

This made me laugh so hard I peed in my pants a little.

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom