"California Son" reviews in Mojo (3 stars, June 2019), Uncut (7/10, June 2019) & others

Two reviews added to the "Official reviews for California Son" thread starting here:

Mojo review by Ian Harrison (3 stars) - info / scans posted by Famous when dead, crotty32
Uncut review by Stephen Troussé (7/10) - info posted by an anonymous person, scan posted by Famous when dead
Louder Than War Magazine review - (5/10) info by Anon

Can't get into this 3 out of 5 or 7 out of 10 type of thinkin'.
It really only matters how art moves ya in ya own life and livin'.
Heck, I bought records that I didn't like at first and then a year later I was Turkey Steppin' to'em.
Yeah one of these critics might give my Turkey Steppin' a low digit, but I'm havin' a ton o' fun doin' it!

Can't get into this 3 out of 5 or 7 out of 10 type of thinkin'.
It really only matters how art moves ya in ya own life and livin'.
Heck, I bought records that I didn't like at first and then a year later I was Turkey Steppin' to'em.
Yeah one of these critics might give my Turkey Steppin' a low digit, but I'm havin' a ton o' fun doin' it!
Exactly. Same with books. I couldn't get into a George Pelecanos book years ago, and then a couple of years later I'm a 100% fan. I didn't like the 2nd half of Disintegration until I listened to it many times in the hot summer of 89.

I find them positive high rated, thought the musicmags and journalist would rate it way lower because it's a coveralbum...well Toronto and Montreal waits in anxiety for the M in Manchester to do His shows

I reckon these anti-American foreigner rags did not give 5/5 and 10/10 because The California Son is American. f*** them inn nn nnn n n n it camden n n it.

His version of Morning Starship is his best album opener since Something Is Squeezing My Skull

What about Viva Hate and Vauxhall&I, that's only till 1994...but music is personal, so I don't judge you, but be aware about generalize

Poster said since SISMS, the albums you mention pre-date skull. ?

His version of Morning Starship is his best album opener since Something Is Squeezing My Skull

I’m inclined to agree. It’s nice and airy.

Never cared much for the plodding pubrock sound of Something Is Squeezing My Skull anyway.

Exactly. Same with books. I couldn't get into a George Pelecanos book years ago, and then a couple of years later I'm a 100% fan. I didn't like the 2nd half of Disintegration until I listened to it many times in the hot summer of 89.

If you agree with the ratings: "Fantastic! Everyone likes it just as much as I do!"

If you don't agree with the ratings: "Well, they don't matter, it's what I think that counts"

apologies, didn't read that part

You didn't read that part? It was one sentence. Of about seventeen words total.

We're not talking War and Peace here pal. "Oh, I skimmed chapter 38, how naughty of me!"

It's a post. On the internet. A short one, to boot.

You'd better hope you skip most of this post too, because you've shown yourself up for a clumsy, ignorant thick twat.

If you agree with the ratings: "Fantastic! Everyone likes it just as much as I do!"

If you don't agree with the ratings: "Well, they don't matter, it's what I think that counts"
I take them with a pinch of salt. I'll be listening to the album on Spotify and will wait until the price had dropped and might buy it then, but only if I like 80% of it or more. The fact that Chain Gang isn't on it is a big negative. I didn't buy the LIHS reissue cos it was a pure rip off for just two good songs (Bicycle Chain Gang and Never Again Will I Be A Twat).

I take them with a pinch of salt. I'll be listening to the album on Spotify and will wait until the price had dropped and might buy it then, but only if I like 80% of it or more. The fact that Chain Gang isn't on it is a big negative. I didn't buy the LIHS reissue cos it was a pure rip off for just two good songs (Bicycle Chain Gang and Never Again Will I Be A Twat).

All I'm seeing here is Bicycle Twat

The problem with Morrissey doing a karaoke album is not in the music, the production, certainly not the vocals(IMO he has never sounded better), and heck, even the song choices aren’t horrible. That last point potentially could have been one of contention considering Morrissey’s music tastes can oftentimes be headscratchers. The Smoking Popes (they really sucked, anyone who argues otherwise is tone-deaf), Kristeen Young, come to mind immediately(same story there, alot of hype but she doesn’t write memorable enough songs to get over her pretentious caterwauling, akin to the perturbed loser in an alley cat scruff amongst starving felines). He actually chose good music this time for his covers album California Son. They are also relatively unknown songs so for many it is almost like listening to never heard before new music. Even the Roy Orbison diddy “It’s Over” though hugely popular in its time, was from so many generations ago Morrisseys' 30 and under fans most likely have never heard it.
So the major “problem” or drawback to Morrissey doing karaoke, is the fact that Morrissey fans are Morrissey fans to hear his point of view. He is arguably the greatest pop lyricist to ever pen pop songs. Devoid of his wit, sarcasm, humor, controversial politics, homo-eroticism, human-eroticism,…the whole gamut you get when you go pick up a new Morrissey album; the record is missing the most vital essence of why you listen to Morrissey in the first place. California Son redeems itself with the aforementioned strengths, but ultimately it is like getting your prom dates dress off... only to hear her say “Not tonight Billy, I think we should wait”.

Ain't with it when it comes to this business of critical digits.
Ain't tryin' to go off of so and so's assessment, cause I can make my own formulation.
That formulation can also change with life's accumulation.
That goes for Moz or any other artist out there, in any of the many mediums.

The problem with Morrissey doing a karaoke album is not in the music, the production, certainly not the vocals(IMO he has never sounded better), and heck, even the song choices aren’t horrible. That last point potentially could have been one of contention considering Morrissey’s music tastes can oftentimes be headscratchers. The Smoking Popes (they really sucked, anyone who argues otherwise is tone-deaf), Kristeen Young, come to mind immediately(same story there, alot of hype but she doesn’t write memorable enough songs to get over her pretentious caterwauling, akin to the perturbed loser in an alley cat scruff amongst starving felines). He actually chose good music this time for his covers album California Son. They are also relatively unknown songs so for many it is almost like listening to never heard before new music. Even the Roy Orbison diddy “It’s Over” though hugely popular in its time, was from so many generations ago Morrisseys' 30 and under fans most likely have never heard it.
So the major “problem” or drawback to Morrissey doing karaoke, is the fact that Morrissey fans are Morrissey fans to hear his point of view. He is arguably the greatest pop lyricist to ever pen pop songs. Devoid of his wit, sarcasm, humor, controversial politics, homo-eroticism, human-eroticism,…the whole gamut you get when you go pick up a new Morrissey album; the record is missing the most vital essence of why you listen to Morrissey in the first place. California Son redeems itself with the aforementioned strengths, but ultimately it is like getting your prom dates dress off... only to hear her say “Not tonight Billy, I think we should wait”.
Great post. The only thing that takes the sting out of Moz singing other people's words now is the fact that Moz's lyrics haven't been that good in recent years. I still enjoy his albums immensely but the sharp insighful funny serious lyrics of old are long gone, probably since Ringleader.

This would have made a lot of sense if it was written 20 years ago.
Sadly, the lyrics have been on a downward slide since the 1990s and they have now, arguably, become the very worst element of a new Morrissey song (with the odd exception).
The lyrics to songs like 'When you open your legs in bed' are just utterly bloody awful. A massive cringe-fest. 'God bless Israel' is one of the most idiotic songs ever written (although the music is great).
He still does have a lovely singing voice, however, so a covers album where he has absolutely zero input to the lyrics is, sadly these days, the very best we can now hope for.

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom