"California Son" review by Oliver Thompson (1/10) - Exclaim!

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post):

California Son review - Exclaim! (1/10)
By Oliver Thompson

Excerpt:

For the most part, Morrissey sounds like a cheap facsimile of himself; an aged crooner without any latter-day grace. Moreover, the features list on this album, including Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, occasionally comes into play with no impact. Coupled with Morrissey's complete lack of finesse in his vocals are the instrumentals, which are, for the most part, the dictionary definition of clinical.

California Son represents a deep-rooted cynicism at the heart of a man who utters one thing publicly, yet cannot abide by it in his performance. However, its main problem is that it's just terminally boring. Do not listen to this album.

It is a masterpiece, that's exactly my point.
If Morrissey were to release another masterpiece equal to Meat Is Murder you'd have difficulties in accepting that and enjoying the album.

I most certainly would enjoy it. Quality is quality, wherever one finds it.

This album is not, in my opinion, quality.

I most certainly would enjoy it. Quality is quality, wherever one finds it.

This is not, in my opinion, quality.

It's all relative, and it always will be.
It's not a patch on The Smiths, or his early solo output, but an improvement on the last two albums for sure.
I'm enjoying it, and at the end of the day this is all that matters (to me).
But to rate it 1 out of 10 is simply ridiculous.

Last edited:
It's all relative, and it always will be.
It's not a patch on The Smiths, or his early solo output, but an improvement on the last two albums for sure.
I'm enjoying it, and at the end of the day this is all that matters (to me).
But to rate it 1 out 10 is simply ridiculous.

It's all subjective. As I said in other threads regarding this album, you will always have some that delight, some that don't.

It's an impossible game to tell someone what is good and what is not - you may as well give up - all we can have are our own opinions.

And who is to say that this guy is not being sincere? And who is to say that someone giving it 9/10 is not being sincere?

What kind of music review makes zero mention of the actual music? Some of which has been well-known and well-liked for years so 1/10 would be ridiculous for that reason alone. It’s not as if Morrissey is doing some unlistenable thrash-metal version of these songs. Farcical.

What kind of music review makes zero mention of the actual music? Some of which have been well-known and well-liked for years so 1/10 would be ridiculous for that reason alone. It’s not as if Morrissey is doing some unlistenable thrash-metal version of these songs. Farcical.

Yeah, but that would be ACE.

It's all subjective. As I said in other threads regarding this album, you will always have some that delight, some that don't.

It's an impossible game to tell someone what is good and what is not - you may as well give up - all we an have are our own opinions.

And who is to say that this guy is not being sincere? And who is to say that someone giving it 9/10 is not being sincere?

I generally don't give a crap about reviewers.
All wankers, the ones praising and the ones dissing.
The 1 out of 10 just struck me as insincere and spiteful, that's all.

The whole idea of this album as some sort of cover from political fallout seems ingenuous. He started doing covers live for a while before before any mention of an album. He did hank Williams and Elvis etc then back on the chain gang which got recorded which got an excellent reception live and on record and then decided to do an album. These are all people he’s been talking about forever and Buffy even opened for him. These are the songs that helped form his musical taste. To me it seems he’s getting older and looking back

Never heard of this cretin or his shitty website. Already heard the album and its gorgeous. Can't wait to read his reviews of paedophiles Michael Jackson and David Bowie records when they inevitably get reissued.
Exclaim is an EXCELLENT Canadian news publication. It’s on the cutting edge of what’s good in music and - generally speaking - the reviewers are spot on. This case is no exception.

Suck it up slags. You’re all in f***ing denial.

The eternal truth - those that have brown noses will hate the lower-grade reviews, while praising the knob-shining ones.

Twas ever thus. All comments on reviews are therefore null and void.

Yes,that is what fans do.
Moron

What kind of music review makes zero mention of the actual music? Some of which has been well-known and well-liked for years so 1/10 would be ridiculous for that reason alone. It’s not as if Morrissey is doing some unlistenable thrash-metal version of these songs. Farcical.

I doubt that piece of writing is an actual musical review. I suspect it's anything except that. Well, at least it seems the writer read a couple of lyrics.

94F0FF1A-EB89-4E61-8DA7-F6C7DFFE3AE6.jpeg

Well look, it's far better than 1/10 isn't it...a couple of the songs so far alone at least merit a 7/10 if you're being harsh.

This is a poorly written review, by a nobody from an insignificant website....bollocks really.

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom