"California Son" review by Oliver Thompson (1/10) - Exclaim!

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post):

California Son review - Exclaim! (1/10)
By Oliver Thompson

Excerpt:

For the most part, Morrissey sounds like a cheap facsimile of himself; an aged crooner without any latter-day grace. Moreover, the features list on this album, including Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, occasionally comes into play with no impact. Coupled with Morrissey's complete lack of finesse in his vocals are the instrumentals, which are, for the most part, the dictionary definition of clinical.

California Son represents a deep-rooted cynicism at the heart of a man who utters one thing publicly, yet cannot abide by it in his performance. However, its main problem is that it's just terminally boring. Do not listen to this album.

I wrote on here a few weeks ago that some critics wont forget lihs,and said there will be at least one out of five this is even worse,this is not a review of California son its a review of Ms politics.

WTF??? All the early releases together make at the very least a 3/5 album unless the rest of the songs are not background noise.

where does it actually say 1/10,its just a number 1,i would say its one out of five,very sneaky indeed to write it that way,its almost clickbait,im sure david t will let us know where he got that rating from.

Never heard of this cretin or his shitty website. Already heard the album and its gorgeous. Can't wait to read his reviews of paedophiles Michael Jackson and David Bowie records when they inevitably get reissued.

What is it which M utters publicly, which he cannot abide in performance? What does that even mean??
Surely he means 'instrumentation' - there aren't any instrumentals on this LP, are there??
What a poor review...but I do agree that, from what we've heard so far, the guests' impact is minimal

The eternal truth - those that have brown noses will hate the lower-grade reviews, while praising the knob-shining ones.

Twas ever thus. All comments on reviews are therefore null and void.

The eternal truth - those that have brown noses will hate the lower-grade reviews, while praising the knob-shining ones.

Twas ever thus. All comments on reviews are therefore null and void.

Nope.
I don't give a shit about reviews, never have, never will.
But there is no way this album is a 1 out of 10.
And you know it.

Oliver Thompson? :straightface:
sock puppet name for sure.
in reality one of the following

Skinny
or
the following sock puppets:
surface
holloway
ordinarydh
morrissey suck cuck
eldritch
the one cuck from brazil
mao
socko poet
and many other sock puppet names.

Oliver Thompson :lbf:
im shocked the cuck didnt post as Gordon of Khartoum :lbf:
Poor wretch

in the alternative,

it could be:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:

or

Flathead Mike:constructionworker:
or
DH Andy:bowing:

This phrase in the review is 100% spot-on...

"California Son represents a deep-rooted cynicism at the heart of a man who utters one thing publicly, yet cannot abide by it in his performance"

f*** off Oliver Thompson.
Just f*** off, whoever you are.

Chill out Marc, it’s hardly Vauxhall & I, Is it? It’s a decent cover album. No more. The fact it’s getting wanked over so much, shows how much Morrissey has fallen from grace. Can’t even get plaudits for his own lyrics no more.

It bothers me a bit when people start off a review with some kind of lyric from the past to suggest bonafides, but then as you go on you realize that they probably just looked it up this morning to reverse engineer a point they wanted to make from the outset.

If you follow this man's career, you know he is a never-ending string of contradictions. The fact that he's said a few things you disagree with... well, he's said something at some point that almost anyone disagrees with. The difference is that some people just want to listen to good music and others only want listen to things that they agree with all the time.

"[...] at no point on this LP does Morrissey display any reasoning." ... well, they're not his songs!

Chill out Marc, it’s hardly Vauxhall & I, Is it? It’s a decent cover album. No more. The fact it’s getting wanked over so much, shows how much Morrissey has fallen from grace. Can’t even get plaudits for his own lyrics no more.

It is a covers album, and that does not matter to me, not at all.
I am not one to blindly praise everything Moz does, you should know that, everyone who visits this site often enough should know that.
I have been critical of his last 2 albums for example, I like bits of them and dislike others.
As I've said on another thread, this is the first album since YOR that I am really enjoying start to end.
Covers or not covers.
Btw, I am not a massive fan of Vauxhall and I as a whole, his best album is Your Arsenal, followed by Viva Hate.
One person's opinion, nothing else.

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom