Bunnymen with a drum machine

Thanks. While were on the topic of the Bunnymen ... I recall hearing that Johnny Marr made some recordings with Will or some member but they were never released or they got stolen or something. Did I dream that?

From the LA Times, November 4, 1995:

After several social get-togethers, McCulloch and Smiths’ guitarist Johnny Marr collaborated for some rejuvenating music-making.

“I was never a big Smiths fan, but Johnny was obviously a talented bloke and I knew from various friends that he was impressed by my singing,” McCulloch explained. “So after watching some football [games] and hanging out, we started working on some songs together, and just connected almost instantly.

“He came up with some weird chords that I would bend vocal lines around . . . stuff I never would have used with the Bunnymen. Working with Johnny taught me how to stretch myself lyrically and melodically and helped me to regain my confidence.”

Two of their collaborative songs that are included on “Burned"--the smoldering “Lowdown” and confessional pleas of “Too Far Gone"--exemplify Electrafixion’s sketches of personal struggles.

The renewed self-esteem he gained from his sessions with Marr was what he needed to reunite with Sergeant, he said, “because there was nobody around who could get me rockin’ again like Will could.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1995-11-04-ca-64820-story.html

Also this, from the Rhino records website, posted October 31, 2017, in an article titled "Five Things You Might Not Know About Johnny Marr":

3. He wrote and recorded an albumâs worth of songs with Ian McCulloch which are likely lost forever.

In 1992 and 1993, Johnny and Ian decided to sit down and pull together a record, one which Johnny described in Uncut as a âvery creativeâ first 10 days, âand then it lost track in sort of a Mancunian / Scouse haze.â Unfortunately, the master tapes were in a van that was transporting them from Johnnyâs house in Manchester to Ianâs house in Liverpool, and when the van was hijacked, the tapes disappeared with it and have never resurfaced. A few of the songs were ultimately rescued from oblivion when Ian and Will Sergeant re-teamed for their short-lived Electrafixion project, but the rest are lost foreverâ¦unless youâve got a line on them!

https://www.rhino.com/article/5-things-you-might-not-know-about-johnny-marr

Also this, from the Rhino records website, posted October 31, 2017, in an article titled "Five Things You Might Not Know About Johnny Marr":

3. He wrote and recorded an albumâs worth of songs with Ian McCulloch which are likely lost forever.

In 1992 and 1993, Johnny and Ian decided to sit down and pull together a record, one which Johnny described in Uncut as a âvery creativeâ first 10 days, âand then it lost track in sort of a Mancunian / Scouse haze.â Unfortunately, the master tapes were in a van that was transporting them from Johnnyâs house in Manchester to Ianâs house in Liverpool, and when the van was hijacked, the tapes disappeared with it and have never resurfaced. A few of the songs were ultimately rescued from oblivion when Ian and Will Sergeant re-teamed for their short-lived Electrafixion project, but the rest are lost foreverâ¦unless youâve got a line on them!

https://www.rhino.com/article/5-things-you-might-not-know-about-johnny-marr

Both of these are cracking songs!

Back
Top Bottom