Brief Morrissey Q&A - newsday.com

Talking With singer-songwriter Morrissey - Newsday
Published: January 7, 2013 2:50 PM
By STEVE KNOPPER. Special to Newsday

'Are you ready to rock . . . yourself back and forth in the shower while crying?" Stephen Colbert asked his audience before interviewing Morrissey, the quintessentially forlorn British singer-songwriter, last October. Moz, the proudly mysterious, big-chinned, romantically challenged former frontman for The Smiths, looked mildly uncomfortable during that interview but was far more at home answering questions by email. Characteristically acerbic, he trashed his home country's royal family and suggested U.S. television was so dumb in the '90s that it "was a way of keeping people in a state of dependency." He plays Tilles Center for the Performing Arts, LIU Post in Brookville, tonight, and the Brooklyn Academy of Music on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and while Morrissey bitches and moans David Bowie returns triumphant.

Write some f***ing songs you hopeless tart.

Your right there Barleycorn

Mr Bowie has got style and grace he returns like a masterchef with dishes fit for a King and Queen without breaking a sweat while bigmouth is globe trotting the planet
with his strumming muppets spouting his vile comments in between churning out old bangers n mash on overdrive like an out of control sausage machine. Instead of David Bowie and the Tin machine project, this must be Morrissey and the sausage machine era.

I wouldn't call Bowie's new tune "triumphant", in fact it is worse than Mozzer's new tunes, and I think they are at most 2 1/2's out of 5. It's been 10 years since Bowie's last album and he is working with Tony again and that is his first single? Doesn't give me any hope at all.

I wouldn't call Bowie's new tune "triumphant", in fact it is worse than Mozzer's new tunes, and I think they are at most 2 1/2's out of 5. It's been 10 years since Bowie's last album and he is working with Tony again and that is his first single? Doesn't give me any hope at all.

Hmmm. If you genuinely think People Are The Same Everywhere, or the other new stuff for that matter, comes close to the new Bowie track we may be finally discovering a major reason Morrissey isn't trying anymore. He realises he doesn't have to. Any old tripe will be lapped up regardless.

There was a time, and not very long ago either, when Morrissey could be rightly considered in the same lyrical league as Bowie, Cohen, Cave or any of the great songwriters of the last four or five decades. He's thrown that legacy aside in favour of simplistic dog whistle controversy, and this rockabilly rebel bollocks. He gets Letterman and similar spots because the bookers and decision makers are of an age to remember his heyday. He wouldn't get through the door with his current output because... There is none.

The time he is wasting repeating himself to local rags around the world would be better spent writing songs. We know he is capable of transcendent works. The idea that talent is being thrown aside giving interviews to the Wyoming Trade & Mart is embarrassing. These are the sort of titles artists have to tolerate on the way up, not at this point in his career.

I note, by the way, Morrissey's deafening silence on the Sandy Hook. massacre. Odd that, as we know his general view on the killing of children by psychopaths. Why hasn't he expanded on the plight of chicken-kind this time around. It couldn't be because he's flogging tickets across the States could it? No, it can't be. That would be the height of despicable hypocrisy. Perhaps it's just Norwegian kids he likes to see murdered because he doesn't tour there much.

Tomorrow's UK front pages are covered with the return of the Thin White Duke, a feat achieved without a syllable from the man himself. Meanwhile Morrissey blames his woes on anybody but himself.

All I knows is Bowie's on sale again. Thank the Lord.

I've been enjoying Bowie's new tune all day --

http://vevo.ly/UUp1dQ

I find it quite moving. Curious to hear what the rest of the record sounds like...

It's a beautiful thing. A real grower. It reminds me of Thursday's Child a bit, but I love that. Perhaps you need to know a bit about the Berlin trilogy to get the nuances of it. It is a very moving piece of songwriting.

I only listen to BBC talk stations so when I heard Bowie singing on R4 early this morning I thought he must have died. Instead he's alive and kicking and looking great.

Hmmm. If you genuinely think People Are The Same Everywhere, or the other new stuff for that matter, comes close to the new Bowie track we may be finally discovering a major reason Morrissey isn't trying anymore. He realises he doesn't have to. Any old tripe will be lapped up regardless.

Yes, I am saying that, but whereas you think the new Bowie song isn't tripe, I do. They are both equals in their lameness now. I don't understand how any Bowie fan would think the new song is good. He's had 10 YEARS to write new material, and he comes up with flaccid bollocks! This song is as bad as any mid 80's through Tin Machine era song. Just terrible, and I wanted it to be good. I thought Heathen and Reality were both pretty good albums, this sounds like a discarded out take from one of those.

There was a time, and not very long ago either, when Morrissey could be rightly considered in the same lyrical league as Bowie, Cohen, Cave or any of the great songwriters of the last four or five decades. He's thrown that legacy aside in favour of simplistic dog whistle controversy, and this rockabilly rebel bollocks. He gets Letterman and similar spots because the bookers and decision makers are of an age to remember his heyday. He wouldn't get through the door with his current output because... There is none.

The time he is wasting repeating himself to local rags around the world would be better spent writing songs. We know he is capable of transcendent works. The idea that talent is being thrown aside giving interviews to the Wyoming Trade & Mart is embarrassing. These are the sort of titles artists have to tolerate on the way up, not at this point in his career.

I note, by the way, Morrissey's deafening silence on the Sandy Hook. massacre. Odd that, as we know his general view on the killing of children by psychopaths. Why hasn't he expanded on the plight of chicken-kind this time around. It couldn't be because he's flogging tickets across the States could it? No, it can't be. That would be the height of despicable hypocrisy. Perhaps it's just Norwegian kids he likes to see murdered because he doesn't tour there much.

Tomorrow's UK front pages are covered with the return of the Thin White Duke, a feat achieved without a syllable from the man himself. Meanwhile Morrissey blames his woes on anybody but himself.

All I knows is Bowie's on sale again. Thank the Lord.

That makes no sense, you criticise Morrissey for not writing enough good songs while Bowie is

Well which one has had 3 albums charting in the top 3 in the last decade? And which one has done nothing?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom