Book of Condolence Thread

Ken Russell (1927 - 2011)

I'm very shocked to hear the sad news.
He was supposed to appear on stage with Barbara Windsor on 9 December for the screening of his 1971 musical The Boy Friend (yes, I got the front row ticket).
He worked with Shelagh Delaney and Murray Melvin.

He's one of the audacious artists to challenge taboos and the audience's intelligence.

RIP
actually, I was surprised to hear that he was still alive :eek: considering the wild & crazy things he was associated with :D
as for my fave film of his, and I llke a number of them a whole lot, but the one I would show to everybody was:
Thedevils1971poster.png

:)

ps: and my say Kewpie, I am always surprised at what excellent taste you have in films :thumb:

One of our nicest members Colleen MacTavish aka Kali died approximately at the end of September this year. She was 49 and suffered from epilepsy. She lived alone and must have had a seizure and passed away without anyone knowing. I just found out today from her facebook page.

One of our nicest members Colleen MacTavish aka Kali died approximately at the end of September this year. She was 49 and suffered from epilepsy. She lived alone and must have had a seizure and passed away without anyone knowing. I just found out today from her facebook page.

I'm really shocked to hear the sad news.

She stopped coming here after 2009, hoped everything was alright with her.

I don't know how to express the sadness right now. RIP Colleen.

:( ...

Barefoot Diva' Cesaria Evora Dead at 70
December 17, 2011 3:05 PM ET
Cesaria Evora, the Grammy-winning singer from Cape Verde who brought that nation’s morna music to a wide international audience, died today, her label Lusafrica reported. She was 70 years old.

Evora, who was known as the "Barefoot Diva" for her habit of performing without shoes, was born in 1941 on the Cape Verde island of Sao Vicente, off the coast of West Africa. She began singing at the age of 16 in the local sailors’ taverns and recorded her first album in 1988, when she was 47. Her 1995 album Cesaria garnered her first Grammy nomination and brought her international acclaim. In 2003, Evora won a Grammy in the World Music category for her album Voz D’Amor.
The singer underwent open-heart surgery last year, and retired from singing in September after suffering a stroke. Evora had been hospitalized with respiratory failure and pulmonary edema on December 16.
Evora, who had a son and a daughter, died at the Baptista de Sousa Hospital in her hometown of Mindelo.

Dec 18th:
FREEDOM icon and former Czech president Vaclav Havel, hero of the Velvet Revolution that won independence from Soviet rule in 1989,died today at the age of 75, his office said.
Havel died in his sleep at dawn after a lengthy illness.
Havel, the president of Czechoslovakia from 1989 to 1992 and of the successor Czech Republic from 1993 to 2003, had long battled poor health, partly caused by the five years he spent in communist jails.
The revolution in which he played a key role was called The Velvet Revolution, afrer Havel's favorite band, The Velvet Underground. Look for Lour Reed to comment on Havel's death soon.
The former dissident had grappled with breathing problems since he had part of his lung removed in 1996 to stop cancer.

Kali is dead and I had no idea and that is so sad. Know I talked to her a lot and I think I was nice even though I wasn't nice to most people so now I wonder how I treated her. My girlfriend also suffers from epilepsy although the meds keep it in check so it's no major drama but one never knows when things can go bad.
I hope she is ok wherever she might be.

I just found this post from her about Moz made in September last year which in itself is like a farewell or an insight into what was coming:

"Colleen MacTavish says:
September 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm
What’s mind blowing to me is the The Holy One is coming to MY TOWN (Escondido) I’m sure after visiting here he’ll have a ton of new material :p
Someday, we shall meet. As Iris Murdoch would have said, “It’s in the hands of The Gods”."

I also found this post from Solo that seem to show that I did indeed treat her nicely and I offered her a place to hide even:

" *SOME* creatures will be thrilled by this, others saddened. People with
> sick, sick minds invade this site, and therefore RUIN it for others. I am
> NEVER coming back in here AGAIN. Goodbye nonesoever, icelandic, momus,
> Almodis, Sweetness, Jay, grounded ( maybe we will still get together, I
> hope so, you ROCK! ) Sick and insane people have ruined this site for me.
> I love Morrissey, more than he probably deserves. But I have had enough of
> you other children. I will miss coming into chat and seeing a friend. But
> it's not worth it. I am busy enough as it is with my book business. I've
> lost ALL interest in going back to England - and THIS American loved your
> country. But this is about *the site*. Goodbye. I wish all of you who
> deserves it a happy and productive life. Go ahead, *put up* - *ignore* the
> insane one. You all know who I am talking about. What else can I say?
> Goodbye.

for fooks sake you handled Man U's derby defeat worse than me it seems
LOL
I completely understand you leaving and I guess i'm part of those guilty for you doing so
Moz Solo is not about love and peace nor is Morrissey, more about the trials and tribulations of life and the realisation that we are all out there on our own fighting a guerilla war with everything and everyone.
Still, saying that, you're more than welcome to hide in my well dug trench any day or night.
Take care Kali whatever you do!"

I remember a lot of things that come back to me now and how hated she was by some american blokes on Solo who said the most awful things to her. I am not free from sin as I remember me and her had a few bust ups but as everyone knows I was always saying things which was just silly banter that always went too far in print.

Yes, I do feel guilty now and I hope she forgave me for my silly rants.

Last edited:
It is funny how memories pour back when something like this happens as in the case of Colleens passing. I just remembered how she told me how much she liked the swedish music I made her listen to. Like Jens Lekman who I know became her favourite swedish artist. Jens Lekman holds a special place in my life through the years I spent with my ex who I met in the Solo chatroom and spent a few years with. He is and will always be the only artist out there that ever put me on his VIP list for one of his gigs and I owe that to my ex.

So when it comes to Lekman's music this song seems the most obvious and suitable to honour Colleen with so here it is:

Jens Lekman "A higher power" (from the tv performance in Gothenburg in 2003):

Last edited by a moderator:
THe AP just reported that Whitney Houston died today. :( My canaries are singing like crazy, the male and the female which is odd, but touching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston, we have a problem!

Same age as Rolf so that was news to me.

Her music reminds me of this work colleague I had during my time at a swedish nuclear plant in 1987 who used to sing her songs in the control room.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom