"Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?" release (Jan. 10, 2020); album sleeve revealed?

Some people reporting 'Bobby Don't You Think They Know' is on YouTube now, which would be the first from the forthcoming album.
I was sent this link:

But it isn't working for me. Got 9 views though.
E: Looks like the release date is 10/01/2020, as Anonymous suggested, which is why it is currently available in Australia.

full

UPDATE Jan. 10:

Link posted by Famous when dead:

Morrissey drops duet with Motown star Thelma Houston - The List

Excerpt:

Morrissey recruited Grammy-winning Motown star Thelma Houston for the epic duet, who said: "One of the biggest joys for me in this business is getting the opportunity to collaborate with other top artists.

"I love the challenge to see if what I do can work with what they're doing. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

"I think the blend of what Morrissey is singing and what I'm singing really works on 'Bobby'.

"And it was a lot of fun working with M in the studio too!"

The 'Mute Witness' singer's long-time producer, Joe Chicarelli, has teased that the upcoming LP, which is released via BMG on March 20, is "the boldest and most adventurous" record ever recorded by Morrissey.

He added: "I have now produced four studio albums for Morrissey.

"This is his boldest and most adventurous album yet.

"He has pushed the boundaries yet again – both musically and lyrically.

"And once again proving that as a songwriter and singer, he is in his own category. In truth, no one can be Morrissey but ... Morrissey!"

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moz quoted via TTY:
Who inspired you to sing?
KARICACSARY, Fontana.

Bobby Hatfield. He was the smaller of the two Righteous Brothers, and his falsetto swoop made me jump backwards over the settee. You should You Tube their You've lost that lovin' feelin', and you'll see what I mean. When I made the record Ringleader of the tormentors, the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've lost that lovin' feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks. I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticized David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that.

Autobiography:
It is only the singing voice, I decide, that tells us how things became how they are, and You’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’ by the Righteous Brothers had led me to the light. In this duet between Bill and Bobby, the language of despair becomes beautiful, and the final forty-five seconds hit such call-and-respond excitement that I am now in danger of feeling too much. Bobby’s rooftop falsetto is the fire in the belly, whilst Bill’s deep-chested leveling is the full invasion. Suddenly everything else in life is in question.

But again and again it is the sight of the Righteous Brothers singing You’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’ (to each other?), gazing into their own separate distances. I cherish each glimpse that television allows – so unrepeatable, and God forbid that anyone should talk too loudly or meddle with the sound. Yes, there he goes again – Cherub Bobby swooping up into a female scream, and visual art unravels before me.

Mozipedia (which references drugs):

Righteous Brothers, The, 60s American ‘blue-eyed soul’ duo whom Morrissey has credited as inspiring him to become a singer. ‘When I was two years old [sic] I saw [them] on television,’ he recalled. ‘Bill and Bobby. I thought fantastic. That’s me … I wanted to be Bobby out of The Righteous Brothers.’
In fact, Morrissey would have been five when fictitious siblings Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield topped the UK charts in February 1965 with their humungous Phil Spector production, ‘You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’’. ‘I was obsessed with [that song],’ he raved. ‘The way the two voices are jumping around and when I saw it on TOP OF THE POPS, the way they would not look at each other and sing those parts was extraordinary.’ The ‘Brothers’ enjoyed other hits though only August 1965’s ‘Unchained Melody’ (technically a solo record by Hatfield) would follow ‘Lovin’ Feelin’’ to number one when re-released in 1990 after its use in the film Ghost. Morrissey’s dreams of wanting to become Hatfield probably ended upon hearing the news in early November 2003 that he’d been found dead in his Kalamazoo hotel room of a cocaine-induced heart attack, aged 63.

Pretty strong evidence for Hatfield?
Regards,
FWD.
That seals it, I’d say. Though what would I know on a site full of resentment?

And thanks. Though someone mentioned this human being before. Early on. And I thank them too. They must be mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to be 'right' is so very tedious when presented like this - kindly show the meaning of 'Mexican Mud' and 'scag' in context of cocaine and not heroin that they actually reference.
Not sure which part of saying it's probably Bobby H. needs reiterating to myself as I agree.
FWD.
Quite.

I thought it just drugs in general. Or just a person living a life that’s different from the surface he presents. Might have died from coke which would make sense with the blow snow stuff, injecting it to if he died from it, but I wouldn’t doubt he did something to help come down

Not getting any 'sexual' element to this track.
My mind took 'below' to be a beneath the surface / under a facade style imagery.
After re-reading the lyrics:
"Nice music, shame about the hidden drug habit - which isn't as hidden as you think"
About sums it up for me.
Regards,
FWD.

Edit: spooky!

I know people keep their brains between their legs, but it’s hard not to think that when Morrissey sings ‘below’ it could only mean one thing. I could be wrong.

Though has this line been explained yet? ....

‘Snow king(cane?)toot-and-horse, then something worse’

What can Bobby be doing that is worse than heroin and coke in the eyes of society? I’m guessing it is a form of sexuality that he’s hiding.

It’s obviously about hiding a drug addiction but not only.

I could be wrong, and I’m sure if asked, Morrissey would say it’s only about a singer hiding a drug addiction.

Just my two cents.

I know people keep their brains between their legs, but it’s hard not to think that when Morrissey sings ‘below’ it could only mean one thing. I could be wrong.

Though has this line been explained yet? ....

‘Snow king(cane?)toot-and-horse, then something worse’

What can Bobby be doing that is worse than heroin and coke in the eyes of society? I’m guessing it is a form of sexuality that he’s hiding.

It’s obviously about hiding a drug addiction but not only.

I could be wrong, and I’m sure if asked, Morrissey would say it’s only about a singer hiding a drug addiction.

Just my two cents.
Your “two cents” is on the nail. I think.

But also the “not only” might open the song up. It does for me.

LAS REFERENCIAS QUE TRAJO FMW PARECEN CERRAR BASTANTE BIEN ACERCA DE QUIEN ES EL FAMOSO BOBBY,ESTARIA BUENO QUE MOZ HICIERA DECLARACIONES EN UN REPORTAJE Y HABLARA SOBRE EL NUEVO DISCO,Y QUE EL REPORTERO LE PREGUNTE QUIEN ES ESTE BOBBY QUE NOS TIENE A TODOS TAN INTRIGADOS AQUI!!!!! PERO LOS DATOS QUE NOS DEJO FMW SON BASTANTES CONVINCENTES DE QUIEN ES BOBBY GRACIAS POR LOS DATOS FMW!!! Y VIVA MOZ!!!!

Why on youtube and spotify is there no mention of Thelma Houston? This track does not appear to be billed as a duet or even as a "featuring".

Engineer: Bill Mims
Saxophone: Boz Boorer
Assistant Masterer: Chris Allgood
Sound Effects: Damon Anacreaote
Saxophone: Dave Ralicke
Engineer: Emily Lazar
Acoustic Piano: Gustavo Manzur
Electric Guitar: Jesse Tobias
Engineer, Producer: Joe Chiccarelli
Engineer: Ken Sluiter
Bass Guitar: Mando Lopez
Drums, Percussion: Matt Walker
Engineer: Maxime Le Guil
Engineer: Nate Haessly
Synthesizer: Roger Manning Jr.
Vocals: Steven Morrissey
Backing Vocals: Thelma Houston
Engineer: Zac Zajdel
Composer, Writer: Gustavo Manzur
Composer, Writer: Steven Morrissey

So I cranked this up this morning so I could focus on the music as opposed to the vocals (which, naturally are excellent)...Matt Walker really gives this track some power & beef with the drums, & Mando on bass...excellent job; impressive...still!! :cool: Lost count of how many times I've played it tbh. Great production Joe C.

You can't be wrong about a song, because it exists in its own right & anything that resonates for you is what the song is. But it's always interesting to try & find out what the writer was inspired by.

Down below is a well known UK euphemism for nether regions... but all the singer stuff fits Bobby H.

Moz might be more direct these days, but he's not lost his ability to pick a word that can destabilise the meaning of a line & leave people wondering.

I also** love the way it's like a litany, but with slang terms for drugs, instead of all the names applied to Our Lady (etc) & with Thelma responding with 'oh, yeah' or 'come on', instead of 'pray for us'. (**Karen's Catholic Corner.)

As I've mentioned in another thread, 'tortured down below' could be reference to BH being buried (down below - underground) & spiritually in torture for having messed up his life, & that of others, as a result of drugs, & his subsequent death, again as a result of the drug addiction.
Regret, torture, inner turmoil.

Reminds me of the very similar bombastic beginning of this song

...also about cocaine and heroin

Last edited:
Am a bit confused...while it's very welcome, how has this single (BDYTTK) been released/dropped now, when we've only recently had the release, & all the associated shenanigans of It's Over?
Is it a case that BMG have got their shit together, & are doing marketing as they should (incl. merch development & distribution), or a n other reason, like It's Over was very, overly late?

If you can't see the YT image (and original one first):

View attachment 53987 View attachment 53988

Image is by Christopher Stewart, 2006 at G-MEX (edited info as now definitely by him).
I guess he liked CS, deluxe reissue etc and thought a head shot would be in keeping.
Probably another instant grat as per the launch of CS.
Regards,
FWD.
I really thought the image was from 2015. The angle threw me off completely. The grin and the angle is very similar to the Sydney Opera House residency t shirt from 2015.

Moz went a bit Happy Mondays there with the backing of a black female.

Ballad_of_little_jo.jpg

https://123moviesme.online/the-ballad-of-little-jo-1993/?sv=1

The Ballad of Little Jo (1993)

Based on a true story, this is the tale of Josephine Monaghan, a young woman of the mid-19th century who is thrown out of her parents’ home after being seduced by the family’s portrait photographer and giving birth to an illegitimate child. Josephine quickly learns that young, female, pretty, and alone are a bad combination for life in the wild west. In her desperation to survive, Josephine disguises herself as “Jo”, a young man, and struggles to make a life for herself in a dingy frontier mining town. Can “Little Jo” live and love without revealing his/her secret?

I can’t wait for the next song to be available. It’s definitely more exciting when a whole album is new. I think we’d heard half of LIHS live before it’s release. Same with WPINOYB.

Moz went a bit Happy Mondays there with the backing of a black female.

Ballad_of_little_jo.jpg

https://123moviesme.online/the-ballad-of-little-jo-1993/?sv=1

The Ballad of Little Jo (1993)

Based on a true story, this is the tale of Josephine Monaghan, a young woman of the mid-19th century who is thrown out of her parents’ home after being seduced by the family’s portrait photographer and giving birth to an illegitimate child. Josephine quickly learns that young, female, pretty, and alone are a bad combination for life in the wild west. In her desperation to survive, Josephine disguises herself as “Jo”, a young man, and struggles to make a life for herself in a dingy frontier mining town. Can “Little Jo” live and love without revealing his/her secret?

‘Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City is the place where they said:
Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
I said hey Joe, take a walk on the wild side’

Little Joe is ... Joe Dallesandro.

He also appears on the cover of the first
Smiths LP.

:tiphat:

I can’t wait for the next song to be available. It’s definitely more exciting when a whole album is new. I think we’d heard half of LIHS live before it’s release. Same with WPINOYB.

LMAO...& I thought FMJ was the impatient one! Christ :cool:
All good things come to those who wait, especially if they love Moz. :thumb:

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom