Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Strangeways, Here We Come

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Rank

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Extremely tough but I'd say at the moment meat is murder followed by strange ways. Meat is murder has always been my fav but the rest an change on a dime. Some of the debut songs are really special imo like suffer and reel but some feel a bit unfinished or lacking in substance. Strange ways is really consistent song wise but some of the lyrical matter is just ok and the music overall for me doesn't have that over the top something special. It's less intricate in places and straightforward which is fine but compared to the previous albums style for me it just doesn't add up. The queen is dead is there most inconsistent I think I think but has amazing standouts. Louder than bombs is just to long which is both good and not good at the same time

Meat Is Murder and Strangeways, Here We Come.
Just beating The Queen Is Dead with 0,0000000001 percent.
All their albums are f***ing great!

I voted for "Rank" and "Strangeways".

"Strangeways" was really when I started liking them.....and the video for "Girlfriend In A Coma"....then I was trying to get as much info on them as possible only to learn Johnny had left the group.

"Rank" was a continuation of the obsession as I tried to find any live material knowing I'd most likely never seem them live. I remember going to the record store and only had enough money for 1 CD....it was a toss up between getting Information Society album or "Rank"....."Rank" won and I listened to it endlessly.

toss up tween 'Queen Is' and 'Strangeways'... and is 'Bombs' really an album? wouldn't it fall under the category of compilation? I'll have to say 'bombs' is the one for me, even if it's a compilation album. Forced as a 'desert island pick' will have to do.

Last edited:
Well that's easier when there's only 4....I'm just saying. :p

But I like all their albums, studio, compilation and the live one.
So it's hard for me to name the two best.
I allways have the feeling that leaving the others out do them injustice.
As if they were so much worse.
They are not.
Cheers Vegan!

I really love their debut album, even though the reason why I became a huge fan of them was Queen is dead. I'm hard to explain this because of lack of English skill but I usually choose the debut album to listen not a Queen is dead or Strangeways.

But Actually in my opinion, the sound of the smiths is what I like the most. its really plentiful. there are a lot of compilations of them but every single song they picked in the album was pretty appropriate.

If you are talking about the 4 studio albums then Meat is Murder is my favourite and with the best cover art. However if you include compilations then it would be Hatful of Hollow which is the album that opened my eyes. But I genuinely believe all the The Smiths albums are brilliant and choosing your favourite is like choosing your favourite child.

Of the non-studio albums, I would go for Hatful of Hollow. Great, great songwriting from Morrissey and Johnny and very simple yet effective performances.

Of the studio albums, it has to be The Queen is Dead. It's not perfect but the title track, I Know it's Over and There is a Light are massive highs and the other songs work well alongside them.

But I like all their albums, studio, compilation and the live one.
So it's hard for me to name the two best.
I allways have the feeling that leaving the others out do them injustice.
As if they were so much worse.
They are not.
Cheers Vegan!

Agree. Why choosing when you can have them all? I don't get the idea of this exercise. Is choosing between good options a cultural thing related with self punishment?

I reckon Rank because of Craig Gannon's top mental guitar playing on all the tracks. I reckon me wish it would of been mixed better to make Craig's guitar playing louder so I wouldn't have to listen to The Byrds wannabe and Portland, Oregon's own John Maher clanging around.

I have to say Steve's piano solo on Death of Disco is top mental.

PS-Do any of you lots know where I can get a "Letterman's Sweater" like they wear in that American show "Happy Days" up here in Griffendorwarts United? It would go great with me Yankees cap.

Cheers Mat!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom