Bernard Sumner (New Order) on Morrissey

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...e-hated-work-and-normality-1.3952803?mode=amp

Excerpt:
Did Johnny broach the subject of his former bandmate, Morrissey, and his increasingly questionable endorsements of a far-right fringe party called For Britain?

“I think we questioned his dubious politics,” Sumner answers. “He has become a bit toxic, hasn’t he? The world has gone a bit like that at the moment. We were only discussing this at dinner last night. It’s gone a bit pear-shaped. These are very strange times and a lot of things don’t seem to make sense. We’ve got Brexit in the UK. I’m not a fan. Obviously you’ve got Mr Trump. I find it difficult to call him President Trump. Let’s call him Resident Trump.”

:lbf:

yeah living off a computer chip in a run down cul de sac, is the height of success:ha-no:

:rofl:

I like New Order more than Joy Division. But neither are as good as The Smiths/Morrissey.
Electronic first album is very good too!
Joy Division is so much more than just a band. You cannot just put it on any random day. That music and those lyrics are heavy shit and I bought their lyrics in what is like a book of poems and that alone was heavy and deep.

Doubt there is anyone in music as authentic as Ian. Every word is him and drops like a stone on your toes.

"Johnny was great and in really good form, but he doesn’t drink, and neither does his band. They all go jogging together, apparently.”

God, the evils of middle age.

"Johnny was great and in really good form, but he doesn’t drink, and neither does his band. They all go jogging together, apparently.”

God, the evils of middle age.
Tell me about it. When you gain weight from just looking at cake.

You don’t know much about music I take it

Bernard Sumner (born 4 January 1956) is an English singer, songwriter, musician and record producer. He is a founding member of both Joy Division and New Order and is widely credited with the latter band's move towards electronicaand synthpop.
He may be widely credited but it's innacurate. Ian Curtis introduced him to Kraftwerk.

My knowledge of musical history and culture is second to none.

He may be widely credited but it's innacurate. Ian Curtis introduced him to Kraftwerk.

My knowledge of musical history and culture is second to none.

You need to stick to racism, you are wrong regarding Ian.

Bernard in a German interview.

“On one of the rare occasions we actually met, Philip ( Bernard’s neighbour) played Autobahn for me. And I remember that I was missing the guitars in the song. I simply didn’t get it. A couple of years later, I fell in love with Trans-Europe Express, though. I thought that album was harmonically extremely rich. I especially liked the sound of the Mellotron. I was very aware of the importance of sound in general, so when I’d listen to a rock record, it wasn’t just about the melodies or the arrangement—but also about the guitar sound. And Trans-Europe Expressjust sounded great—like a dark electronic soup. I didn’t miss the guitars for a single moment.”

You need to stick to racism, you are wrong regarding Ian.

Bernard in a German interview.

“On one of the rare occasions we actually met, Philip ( Bernard’s neighbour) played Autobahn for me. And I remember that I was missing the guitars in the song. I simply didn’t get it. A couple of years later, I fell in love with Trans-Europe Express, though. I thought that album was harmonically extremely rich. I especially liked the sound of the Mellotron. I was very aware of the importance of sound in general, so when I’d listen to a rock record, it wasn’t just about the melodies or the arrangement—but also about the guitar sound. And Trans-Europe Expressjust sounded great—like a dark electronic soup. I didn’t miss the guitars for a single moment.”
Ian Curtis first introduced him to Kraftwerk. Fact.

I have respect from Sumner, but its just a mention with no real opinion or debate. Publicity sells and just so happens New Order have an auto queud sampler sequenced recorded live album out this week.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...e-hated-work-and-normality-1.3952803?mode=amp

Excerpt:
Did Johnny broach the subject of his former bandmate, Morrissey, and his increasingly questionable endorsements of a far-right fringe party called For Britain?

“I think we questioned his dubious politics,” Sumner answers. “He has become a bit toxic, hasn’t he? The world has gone a bit like that at the moment. We were only discussing this at dinner last night. It’s gone a bit pear-shaped. These are very strange times and a lot of things don’t seem to make sense. We’ve got Brexit in the UK. I’m not a fan. Obviously you’ve got Mr Trump. I find it difficult to call him President Trump. Let’s call him Resident Trump.”

I have respect from Sumner, but its just a mention with no real opinion or debate. Publicity sells and just so happens New Order have an auto queud sampler sequenced recorded live album out this week.

It’s actually an album with a 12 piece synth orchestra from the shows they did a couple of years ago, there’s a documentary called Decades on Sky Arts showing how they put the shows together, it’s a fascinating insight.

'Toxic' is another of these contemporary euphemism-cliches (like 'problematic') that signal that the speaker has given up on thinking and is just using second-hand words. It would be bad enough if it was a word belonging to the speaker's generation, but with Sumner we must assume he has outsourced his cerebral functions to a younger generation.

You don’t know much about music I take it

Bernard Sumner (born 4 January 1956) is an English singer, songwriter, musician and record producer. He is a founding member of both Joy Division and New Order and is widely credited with the latter band's move towards electronicaand synthpop.
Wonder why both groups had names linked with Nazi Germany.
Joy Division being the name given to Jewish women in concentration camps who were used by the Nazis for sex. New order being the name Hitler would give to his new style of government of Europe.
I wonder what Bernard really talks about with the boys when not discussing "toxic" politics of other people.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom