Bands you can't "get"

kissmyshadestoo

Nobody ever looks at me twice
I try to broaden my musical tastes as much as possible. Stuff I wasn't into as a "kid" I am now into.....that being said, I still don't "get" (understand) certain bands.

That list includes:

-Nick Cave
-Pogues

Not flaming or criticizing them or their followers, just never understood 'em. What albums should of theirs should I listen to?

Post bands you don't get here....

Kate Bush. Sure, I get it and she has a few songs I enjoy, but the bulk of it puts me in hysterics. It's like the annoying drama club girl from high school was given a microphone and somehow became even more obnoxious and arty farty.

Radiohead. Like a little sad seagull weeping over a broken arcade game that still bleeps and bloops but is completely glitchy and unplayable.

I try to broaden my musical tastes as much as possible. Stuff I wasn't into as a "kid" I am now into.....that being said, I still don't "get" (understand) certain bands.

That list includes:

-Nick Cave
-Pogues

Not flaming or criticizing them or their followers, just never understood 'em. What albums should of theirs should I listen to?

Great thread idea KissMyShadesToo! Not sure I get Nick Cave either. Radiohead are sort of okay though.

Kate Bush. Sure, I get it and she has a few songs I enjoy, but the bulk of it puts me in hysterics. It's like the annoying drama club girl from high school was given a microphone and somehow became even more obnoxious and arty farty.

Radiohead. Like a little sad seagull weeping over a broken arcade game that still bleeps and bloops but is completely glitchy and unplayable.
Noooo! Not Kate Bush! She's fab. Have you heard And Dream of Sheep? About someone who has to spend the night in the water and all the thoughts and emotions they go through while waiting to be rescued.

Best description of Radiohead I've ever read, but ironically could also be used by people who like the band, as I do. "Little sad seagull weeping over a broken arcade game" sounds cool!

Radiohead pre ok computer were a really good alt rock band but that album and after I gotta agree with the above description. They’ll throw out a song or two here and there where I’ll be reminded of how good they were but not often. For me it’s joy division. I find them to be a good story full of themes I find really interesting but when I listen to the albums I just say “Hmm no”. Also the banshees

Noooo! Not Kate Bush! She's fab. Have you heard And Dream of Sheep? About someone who has to spend the night in the water and all the thoughts and emotions they go through while waiting to be rescued.

I think she's the absolute pretentious worst. I respect her place in history, and like I said- she has a very few songs that I enjoy, but it's so f***ing airy-fairy. I feel like it's a joke that I'm not hearing the punchline to and all I can ask is What if Kate's bush grew to cloudbusting wuthering heights? That sensual world is between a man and a woman though, and truth be told, I don't really want to walk straight down the middle and look under that ivy.

That list includes:

-Nick Cave
-Pogues

What I like about Nick is that even if you don't like his music, many of his lyrics hold up well without it and make for good reading still.

Best description of Radiohead I've ever read, but ironically could also be used by people who like the band, as I do. "Little sad seagull weeping over a broken arcade game" sounds cool!
I hear the talent in it, but it leaves me completely nonplussed. Also, I think they are absolute jackasses for the "Lana Del Ray ripped off Creep" fiasco.

Did she? Did she really?

I think she's the absolute pretentious worst. I respect her place in history, and like I said- she has a very few songs that I enjoy, but it's so f***ing airy-fairy. I feel like it's a joke that I'm not hearing the punchline to and all I can ask is What if Kate's bush grew to cloudbusting wuthering heights? That sensual world is between a man and a woman though, and truth be told, I don't really want to walk straight down the middle and look under that ivy.

All I would say is, don't give up. You just need a deeper understanding of this woman's work. Surely she must have given you some moments of pleasure - something that made you go 'Wow'? :tiphat:

What I like about Nick is that even if you don't like his music, many of his lyrics hold up well without it and make for good reading still.

I don't get him either but I've got a friend who went to see him recently, also somebody who doesn't get him, and he said his band was one of the best live bands he's seen. So there is that.

U2 and Oasis obviously. The Clash, The Who, The White Stripes, Kiss, anything that can be described as hair metal and 99.9% of Jazz.

Kate Bush's greatest hits is alright, I've tried listening to her actual albums and never played one more than once.

I don't get him either but I've got a friend who went to see him recently, also somebody who doesn't get him, and he said his band was one of the best live bands he's seen. So there is that.

U2 and Oasis obviously. The Clash, The Who, The White Stripes, Kiss, anything that can be described as hair metal and 99.9% of Jazz.

Kate Bush's greatest hits is alright, I've tried listening to her actual albums and never played one more than once.
I once went to see The Who and the person sat in front of me read a book throughout the entire show. So you are not alone.

All I would say is, don't give up. You just need a deeper understanding of this woman's work. Surely she must have given you some moments of pleasure - something that made you go 'Wow'? :tiphat:
If I haven't gotten it by 40, and I've realistically had about 26 of those years to figure it out, I'm afraid I never will. It's cool. Im cool with her. A lot of the music that I enjoy isn't for others and vise versa. If I want the house to myself for a while, all I have to do is put on the Haus Der Luge album, and I can guarantee that my wife will go out for errands for at least an hour or two! :lbf: Oh, and this arty weird bunch from Oakland called Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (now known as Free Salamander Exhibit.)

(in the case of this, my wife has a physical, grumpy reaction to the music.)

Oh god. f*** the Clash. Boring, boring, boring. I agree with your whole list honestly, with the exception of The White Stripes. Their first couple were pretty charming I thought. I took my wife to see Nick last summer, and she'd never really rated him prior to the night, and she walked out buzzing afterward. He's like a crazy hellfire preacher had a lovechild with a praying mantis onstage. He's definitely got presence, and his band is always really polished.

On a similar vein is there anything that you get that nobody else seems to? I'm constantly saying Sufjan Stevens is great to people I know and saying have a listen to this and everyone is like, eh, no, no!?

I like you, g23, but calling The Clash boring is completely outrageous and egregious.
I'm sorry. I agree with Lydon. The Clash seemed to read political tracts all day long and turn them into songs. There was no joy in their anger, at least to my ears. They seemed to realize the career opportunities that punk represented and capitalized on it hard.

On a similar vein is there anything that you get that nobody else seems to? I'm constantly saying Sufjan Stevens is great to people I know and saying have a listen to this and everyone is like, eh, no, no!?

I remember one time I had just bought the blood brothers crimes and when I played it on the drive home I was asked by all to please take it off. Same with mindless self indulgenses Frankenstein girls will seem strangely sexy. In 2000 no one I knew could stomach it. It was a different story by the time you’ll rebel to anything came out. Also I have to ask my wife if I can put on a Brett Anderson solo album as she’ll in her words get sleepy and bummed out

Back
Top Bottom