'Autobiography' as an authentic source

I think you are right...but who will tell that story? Those closest to him rarely say a word.

What story?

What’s to be told ? what can possibly be revealed that Morrissey himself dare not say ?

I just don’t know what people are imagining that he’s ‘hiding’ or what they think will actually be revealed after his passing.

In Morrissey’s autobiography, the way he describes himself and his life, could work as a good first-hand source. But professor of English studies,

Juan Pellicer, argues that when Morrissey wrote his autobiography, he was taken over by the myth, that he had created about himself, and therefore we cannot use it, as a correct source, he told me. What do you think? Could it be something like this?

What ‘myth’ ? Did you ask this professor?
I don't think he did create a myth about himself - what you're getting is the way he feels about things he remembers. So it's more about his inner life than external facts. Some things would need fleshed out, but it's a good source.

He keeps an archive so that'll make things clearer, if it reaches the public.

I really don’t know how the word ‘myth’ is being used by this professor. Maybe he means ‘image’ ? but who doesn’t create an image or have an image of themselves that usually ends up being false more or less? No one’s perfect.
This sums it up pretty succinctly. How he experienced it is accurate. How some events actually transpired - or what the truth is about another party he writes about - is probably subject to debate.

In my opinion, the title is a bit of a misnomer to begin with. Some parts I'd classify as memoir - which is typically more stylistic than a rehashing of facts - and much of the later part of the book is a sort of travelogue with a timeline that skews from a linear chronology.

Agree.

What story?

What’s to be told ? what can possibly be revealed that Morrissey himself dare not say ?

I just don’t know what people are imagining that he’s ‘hiding’ or what they think will actually be revealed after his passing.

What ‘myth’ ? Did you ask this professor?

I really don’t know how the word ‘myth’ is being used by this professor. Maybe he means ‘image’ ? but who doesn’t create an image or have an image of themselves that usually ends up being false more or less? No one’s perfect.

Agree.

Sam for one, no doubt he will have written notes on all sorts of things in preparation to cash in once his Uncle passes.

Not going there!
Any view I may have wouldn't necessarily negate Peter's (although the quote would help).
From personal experience, I've had quite a few drinks with various band members in my time and they've been quite 'accidentally' indiscreet with information relating to Morrissey. That said (and a point worth mentioning), I didn't rush online and disclose any tidbits I'd picked up probably from a sense of loyalty towards said people. That didn't require anything signed and could go some way to explain why they behave the way they do.
Also worth noting: the general use of the term non-disclosure agreement on this site is in an assumptive manner and doesn't relate to any hard evidence.
Regards,
FWD.
Thanks FWD - as ever, the sane voice of reason.

I just cannot imagine Moz wafting a piece of paper in front of Chrissie Hynde, Jim Moir, that bloke from Green Day et al and saying 'Oh, you must sign this before you can work with me / go for a drink'...it all sounds a little ludicrous and far fetched...but who am I to question UnclePeter?

In Morrissey’s autobiography, the way he describes himself and his life, could work as a good first-hand source. But professor of English studies, Juan Pellicer, argues that when Morrissey wrote his autobiography, he was taken over by the myth, that he had created about himself, and therefore we cannot use it, as a correct source, he told me. What do you think? Could it be something like this?
If Morrissey had really been "taken over" by the myth he himself has created, then, I'd conclude, the myth is just as much a part of Morrissey, and thus a correct source.

In contrast, if Morrissey had hired a ghost writer, like Damion for example, who then wrote the autobio for him, without Morrissey editing it, you could maybe talk about an incorrect source.
This would be the case if Morrissey considers his name merely as a brand name to which from time to time a few songs or books or fan stuff or other articles are attached, no matter what their content.

The desire to find and investigate the "real Morrissey" is understandable but just as naive as the deep wish of Miss Quested in E.M. Forster's A Passage to India to discover the "Real India" untouched by the effects of British colonisation. They do not exist individually any longer, but are entwined forever, the myth, the coloniser and its subject.

Personally, i agree.
I don't think we can use it as an authentic source.
Morrissey is known to lie alot so why we should take what he says as the absolute truth?

I think you are right...but who will tell that story? Those closest to him rarely say a word.
One day they will talk.
Actually i would be interested in first hands witness about his teenage years
because everything he said about those years are contredictories

o_O
FFS the lawnmowers will say anything for a free beer.(n)
may as well burn the quids than buy those twats a beer.(n)
doh:
buy their creditors a beer for the real story:clap:

:hammer:

What, some effing professor?, they all think the know better than anyone with their pycho babble, remember those that can do, those that can't teach

Finally some sense. (y)
they know better but for getting real jobs instead they psycho babble and scrounge for more
benefits. its like being on the dole, but with beer only at night.

what would those twits know about Moz a musical industrialist FFS(y)

🇭🇷>:hammer:

Sam for one, no doubt he will have written notes on all sorts of things in preparation to cash in once his Uncle passes.

What sort of notes?

what kind of mind blowing information do you Surface imagine will be revealed?

What sort of notes?

what kind of mind blowing information do you Surface imagine will be revealed?

Lots of interesting stuff Ketamine, eg what time he generally has a bowel movement etc.:ROFLMAO: Thats a joke by the way but there's far more to Morrissey's life than what you have read about. He did actually go to school, he did actually go out in Manchester pre The Smiths, he does actually come home and go out in Bowden, Altrincham, Alderley Edge. For instance, he went in the pie shop in Alderley that was documented on here, he actually had an interesting conversation with the owner of the shop and my daughter went to school with the pie shops owners daughter. Things like that will be of interest to a lot of people.

0_CSR_MEN_200918morrissey_07.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of interesting stuff Ketamine, eg what time he generally has a bowel movement etc.:ROFLMAO: Thats a joke by the way but there's far more to Morrissey's life than what you have read about. He did actually go to school, he did actually go out in Manchester pre The Smiths, he does actually come home and go out in Bowden, Altrincham, Alderley Edge. For instance, he went in the pie shop in Alderley that was documented on here, he actually had an interesting conversation with the owner of the shop and my daughter went to school with the pie shops owners daughter. Things like that will be of interest to a lot of people.

View attachment 77967

Wow, look at those treats! He's not actually vegan, is he? I mean, being vegetarian is fine, he looks so happy in there!

Lots of interesting stuff Ketamine, eg what time he generally has a bowel movement etc.:ROFLMAO: Thats a joke by the way
And below is a joke also
but there's far more to Morrissey's life than what you have read about.
yes, nothing of interest to anyone, I’m sure.
He did actually go to school, he did actually go out in Manchester pre The Smiths, he does actually come home and go out in Bowden, Altrincham, Alderley Edge.

OMG ! That’s some crazy shit! Everyone’s fascinated! Lol.

For instance, he went in the pie shop in Alderley that was documented on here, he actually had an interesting conversation with the owner of the shop and my daughter went to school with the pie shops owners daughter.

Please tell me your joking, that you think the above is interesting? really?
Things like that will be of interest to a lot of people.

If they are, then, god help them. Pathetic.

After his passing, plenty of folks are gonna be disappointed to find that there will be no ‘dirt’ revealed.

That is difficult to describe and put into words, but there’s just something magical with his energy and aura.

If you’re a fan of his, then I guess you can come away with that impression.

Maybe if you’re a fan that’s never met him, then I can see how one can form that idea of him, which is fine.
But otherwise, I don’t see how Morrissey can be seen as or thought of as ‘mythical’. Just think the word is being misapplied here.

Last edited:
Wow, look at those treats! He's not actually vegan, is he? I mean, being vegetarian is fine, he looks so happy in there!

“I don’t eat animals, birds or fish,” Moz said. “I don’t consider myself to be vegan, vegetarian or carnivorous. I’m just me. I refuse to eat anything that had a mother, that’s obvious.”

- Morrissey

@Ketamine Sun spiraling down into another pathetic hysteria fit because someone suggested something about Morrissey that doesn't fit her deranged delusion. Someone needs to alert her therapist.

Tags
autobiography
Back
Top Bottom