Article: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned (update: full i

Re: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned

he mentions that they'll start recording the new album in February!

Great news! Makes me wonder if Solomon will partake in the recordings or if he is really gone for good? :(

Re: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned

Here it is the whole interview with Moz. I've received his answers on December 3rd.
Enjoy :)

Q: How are you health wise these days?

A: There are no certainties for any of us, but I’m by no means shriveled up.

Q: Has your songwriting process changed over the years?

A: No. I’ve always been a social writer, and this can occasionally sound like mischief – but it isn’t. I’m in the thrall of life, and life is obviously erratic. I don’t want to sing about being horny on a dance floor… so I’m not on the radio very often.

Q: If somebody never heard any of your albums and he wants to start exploring, which albums do you think would be the best start?

A: I think the best ones are the recent ones … “World Peace Is None of Your Business”, “Years of Refusal”, “Ringleader of the Tormentors”, “You Are the Quarry”, and I am very proud of “Vauxhall and I”, “Your Arsenal” and ”Southpaw Grammar”,
“Bona Drag”, and so on. I don’t like the comparison game, but I much prefer solo to Smiths.

Q: How’s living in the U.S compared to the U.K?

A: My reply in boring, I know, but the appalling British weather makes everyone listless, whereas dependable Los Angeles sunshine makes you feel receptive to every hour of every day. Receptive in my case means I actually get out of bed.

Q: In your opinion, what “World Peace Is None Of Your Business” separate from your previous albums? What is so special about the new one?

A: It is magnificent in every way … the music and the voice merge perfectly … and songs such as ‘I’m Not a man’, ‘Earth is the Loneliest Planet’, ‘Staircase at the University’, ‘Kick the Bride Down The Aisle’ and ‘The Bullfighter Dies’ are themes that have never before been expressed as musical recordings… as far as I’m aware. The title track is very strong, and the album offers a great deal for people to think about… which is unusual these days.

Q: Is it true that your personal wish was to extend this tour and to play in Serbia? What are your memories about your last gig here when you played Novi Sad in 2006?

A: I remember that it rained and it didn’t bother anyone at all … they just sang and shouted all night … and it was beautiful for me. Yes, I wanted to get to Belgrade because although it is slightly off the touring path I know it will repay itself with good audience response. Maybe I’m wrong!

Q: What’s your knowledge about Serbia, and about things that have happened here in the last few decades?

A: I am aware of Otpor and CANVAS, and I am obviously inspired by any pro-democracy action whilst also being aware that some countries pose as being democratic when they are not at all democratic. I understand how the word “democracy” can by used as a tactic against the people. I know of the decline of Milosevic, but I’m no Serbian political expert. Do we need to be? No. Just use your own wisdom … it’s usually correct.

Q: You recently wrote your Autobiography. Is there any chance that you will write more – either autobiographical or fiction?

A: Yes. I’ve been very encouraged by the interest in Autobiography … to say the least … and I’m in the midst of something new. There’s no point babbling on about it at this stage.

Q: When you make a list of set lists for the concert, how do you choose songs from your rich catalogue? How often you are changing set lists? Is it each night different or it’s almost the same list throughout your tour?

A: There’s no point considering what people might want to hear, so I just please myself … which means at least one person is definitely happy.
In fact, I often find that the choice of songs doesn’t really matter … people are always responsive.

Q: When you look at pop music today, and pop music from the days when you started playing, how much has it changed?

A: I’ve never felt a part of it, then or now. The most interesting aspect of modern music is that everyone I know has no idea who is number 1 or what is in the charts, whereas years ago we could name every song in the top 40. The charts are now for the marketing departments of record labels, and not actually to reflect public taste.
There was a singer on the TV last week and she said that she’d had four number 1’s in England, and I had never heard of her.

Q: In one of your songs you sing the line about the US “where the President is never black, female or gay”, and in the meantime a black man became President, and Hillary Clinton is not that far from becoming the first female President. Do you think that matters, and do you think it can change anything?

A: Obama is visually black, but his attitude is white, which is why his blackness has changed nothing.
The killing of Michael Brown has proven this. As for Hillary, she is certainly sane, and not irritating – which is unusual for a woman in American politics. But we must remember Margaret Thatcher who was the first female British Prime Minister, and who was so hateful to the British people that there will never again be a female Prime Minister. Change can close doors as well as open them.

Q: Money seems to be more important than ever today. Next to sex, it is probably the major fuel of moving the planet Earth. Was it like that when you were a kid? Do you think something has changed, and if so, what?

A: We are told that sex is everywhere for everyone and very, very available, but I don’t ever see it in actuality. It’s promised, yes, but always withdrawn, and that’s what life seems to be about … teasing people. Yes, people are obsessed with money, but the world is also obsessed with space travel and there’s no vague evidence that space travel will be of any remote benefit to the human race. The moon has absolutely nothing to offer. So why do people get so excited about it?

Q: You recorded “Interlude” with Siouxsie. How was that experience for you?

A: It was OK, but she didn’t want to become friends, and she made that very plain from the start. I thought she sang very well.

Q: Have you heard the two new tracks from David Bowie, or maybe his last album, and what’s your opinion?

A: I heard the very first single, and I was pleased for him … that he was still healthy and he was singing.
Tony Visconti (Bowie’s producer) had told me that David no longer had any interest in songwriting or singing, and that David was very unhappy and did nothing but stay in his apartment every day eating meatballs … which sounded terrible. So I was surprised when a new album jumped out, but I didn’t listen to it because I thought the art-work was horrific.

Q: Music-wise do you think reunions of bands from the 80s or 90s are making sense?

A: No, because the people who listen to them want them to be something that they no longer are, so it’s all just impossible.

Q: Is there some music you’ve made in the past that you are not satisfied with, something you think could’ve done better?

A: Of course, but it’s minimal, and I think my catalogue is very respectable.

Q: Would you recommend some new music?

A: Anna Calvi. You’ll be surprised.

Q: Although you recently recorded a new album, do you have plans for a future album?

A: Yes. We have written a new album and we’d like to record it in February.

Q: Do you often get zero questions about the Smiths in the interviews?

A: There’s nothing left to say about the Smiths. It’s all been said. People no longer ask.

Thank you so very much for posting this! A ton was lost in translation and I'm very happy to see what he said in his native tongue so it could clear up some of the drama that's been floating around. Thank you.

Moz is hilarious, btw. Thank you for giving us another glimpse of his wit.

Thanks to Vladimir for providing the original answers (and asking some good questions). Why did you decide to insert a question about Siouxsie? Are you a fan of that particular song?

So there is indeed a new album ready to record. Brilliant.

Re: Article: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned (update: fu

Thanks to Vladimir for providing the original answers (and asking some good questions). Why did you decide to insert a question about Siouxsie? Are you a fan of that particular song?

Yes, it's good to hear but worth remembering he said the same thing about 3 years before World Peace was actually released when he started playing 'The Kid...' and 'People...'.
It doesn't mean we'll get a new album soon, or that it'll be any good. However, the signs are more encouraging this time given the musical quality of the World Peace album, and the fact that Gustavo is (hopefully) now an established part of the songwriting team.

Re: Article: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned (update: fu

"Q: Have you heard the two new tracks from David Bowie, or maybe his last album, and what’s your opinion?

A: I heard the very first single, and I was pleased for him … that he was still healthy and he was singing.
Tony Visconti (Bowie’s producer) had told me that David no longer had any interest in songwriting or singing, and that David was very unhappy and did nothing but stay in his apartment every day eating meatballs … which sounded terrible. So I was surprised when a new album jumped out, but I didn’t listen to it because I thought the art-work was horrific.
"

So, Visconti can keep Bowie's secrets from nosey-parker Morrissey! Why wouldn't he share that in confidence with Morrissey, I wonder?......it's not like Morrissey is an incorrigible gossip, is it? Nice that he pranked Morrissey about the 'meatballs' too.

Hilarious that Morrissey should criticise Bowie's art-work after the car-crash 'art' that was 'designed' for WPINOYB. You can be absolutely sure he's listened to Bowie's new album many, many times. Whilst gnashing his teeth and sticking pins in a voodoo doll of Tony Visconti and turning puce green with jealousy at the media clamour over Bowie's return.

best
BB

"Q: Have you heard the two new tracks from David Bowie, or maybe his last album, and what’s your opinion?

"

So, Visconti can keep Bowie's secrets from nosey-parker Morrissey! Why wouldn't he share that in confidence with Morrissey, I wonder?......it's not like Morrissey is an incorrigible gossip, is it? Nice that he pranked Morrissey about the 'meatballs' too.

Hilarious that Morrissey should criticise Bowie's art-work after the car-crash 'art' that was 'designed' for WPINOYB. You can be absolutely sure he's listened to Bowie's new album many, many times. Whilst gnashing his teeth and sticking pins in a voodoo doll of Tony Visconti and turning puce green with jealousy at the media clamour over Bowie's return.

best
BB

Maybe you should consider a hobby instead of spending hours typing out long winded responses about someone you supposedly despise.

I think your hatred boils down to one thing: jealousy. Jealous of a man who has money, is adored and lusted after by many, who has written and sung some of the most beautiful songs of our time, and who travels the world.

bowie got bested before his record even came out by gaga and bennet. oh so that was really popular, hey look by total coincidence hes got a jazz album coming out. people dont care except for those his most devoted fans. no one really cares about the next day either. i love bowie but i dont listen to much past scary monsters as it got really cheesy really really fast. i can only take a few songs here and there. the buddah of suburbia had some really bad artwork. tin machine was worse. i do appreciate that hes trying very hard though but i think he needs to lead with both his heart and his head and i dont think hes trusted his heart for a very long time. just an opinion based on output and interviews

Maybe you should consider a hobby instead of spending hours typing out long winded responses about someone you supposedly despise.

I think your hatred boils down to one thing: jealousy. Jealous of a man who has money, is adored and lusted after by many, who has written and sung some of the most beautiful songs of our time, and who travels the world.

This IS my hobby! I'm stuck here in 'Mom's Basement' with a giant bag of popcorn and a super-size Coke.

You're absolutely right. I'm a jealous, bitter, envious troll.

thanks for sharing

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

bowie got bested before his record even came out by gaga and bennet. oh so that was really popular, hey look by total coincidence hes got a jazz album coming out. people dont care except for those his most devoted fans. no one really cares about the next day either. i love bowie but i dont listen to much past scary monsters as it got really cheesy really really fast. i can only take a few songs here and there. the buddah of suburbia had some really bad artwork. tin machine was worse. i do appreciate that hes trying very hard though but i think he needs to lead with both his heart and his head and i dont think hes trusted his heart for a very long time. just an opinion based on output and interviews

Get that CAPSLOCK fixed.

best
BB

Q: Do you often get zero questions about the Smiths in the interviews?
A: There’s nothing left to say about the Smiths. It’s all been said. People no longer ask.

I love it when interviewers try to get Morrissey to talk about the Smiths by asking a question about not talking about the Smiths. Are they that stupid that he doesn't see through it?

- - - Updated - - -

So in about 5 years time then?

The new album answer was faint humour about WPINOYB... (imo) February was a giveaway

Although he's getting his gigs-worth out of it. I must say I like it more as time goes, definitely an oddball album.

the way i type is how you will know its me. im also was very fond of the way faulkner used the breakdown of grammar as an indicator of the un-settledness of his suicidal character before he goes into the river in the sound and the fury (would have been better if he actually got to use the colored text). it also helps reveal who cares about whats said and who cares about how its said which is a good test for me as to whom i actually want to talk to (mostly adults). language is constantly evolving so it would seem that if it takes any time to figure out grammar rules and then the language recorded and written down as rules would already be sliding into being obsolet with us running after it but never really catching up. its not an exercise in obfuscation or anything like that. i thought you had all anons on ignore anyway

Bowie is pretty useless these days. He putters around his apartment every day, releasing a shitty album every few years with no promotion or interviews.

His work isn't good enough to not provide any promotion for it. Not anymore, at least. I know he can't tour, but why is a TV appearance out of the question?

But you can't really compare Morrissey to Bowie. Yes, Moz's music is of a much higher quality and he seems to have more motivation to work, but he's also younger and healthier than Bowie.

God help me, I'm picturing Morrissey horny on a dancefloor and I cannot stop laughing.

God help me, I'm picturing Morrissey horny on a dancefloor and I cannot stop laughing.

You aren't alone.

You both might enjoy this excerpt from Sandie Shaw's book, The World At My Feet:

We assembled in the dark entrails of a slightly dated Bath nightclub, and huddled behind the warm familiarity of the throbbing speakers. One by one the musicians ventured onto the dancefloor, peeling off the layers of self-conciousness with Wildean gestures. Stephen [Street] tangoed me expertly round the room with the practised precision expected of a physical training instructor.

Joined at last by their master, the acolytes encircled Morrissey in a tight protective mandala. Jokingly, the notorious celibate toyed with their flat male breasts in turn as onlooking eyes bulged with fascination. I stood aside, decling the public fondle. It was highly amusing to see him enjoying his charismatic effect on his audience.

You both might enjoy this excerpt from Sandie Shaw's book, The World At My Feet:

Well, that answers the whole is he a "bewb man" question. Crystal Geezer can sleep soundly tonight.

Well, that answers the whole is he a "bewb man" question. Crystal Geezer can sleep soundly tonight.

Wildean gestures lol, you can say that again.

"We assembled in the dark entrails of a slightly dated Bath nightclub, and huddled behind the warm familiarity of the throbbing speakers. One by one the musicians ventured onto the dancefloor, peeling off the layers of self-conciousness with Wildean gestures. Stephen [Street] tangoed me expertly round the room with the practised precision expected of a physical training instructor.

Joined at last by their master, the acolytes encircled Morrissey in a tight protective mandala. Jokingly, the notorious celibate toyed with their flat male breasts in turn as onlooking eyes bulged with fascination. I stood aside, decling the public fondle. It was highly amusing to see him enjoying his charismatic effect on his audience."

Gay all the way.

Bowie is pretty useless these days. He putters around his apartment every day, releasing a shitty album every few years with no promotion or interviews.

His work isn't good enough to not provide any promotion for it. Not anymore, at least. I know he can't tour, but why is a TV appearance out of the question?

But you can't really compare Morrissey to Bowie. Yes, Moz's music is of a much higher quality and he seems to have more motivation to work, but he's also younger and healthier than Bowie.

Have you forgotten? Morrissey has got CANCER!

best
BB

Gay all the way.

After that comment, I found myself wondering if you also repeatedly point out to your heterosexual pals and celebrity interests, if they are, in fact, "straight all the way."

You know...to keep all that labeling fair.

After that comment, I found myself wondering if you also repeatedly point out to your heterosexual pals and celebrity interests, if they are, in fact, "straight all the way."

You know...to keep all that labeling fair.

Yes, just the other day I told my mother she was straight as a pin as she has never shown any sexual interest in the same sex.

Moz shows no interest in the opposite sex. And don't tell me those Tina excerpts amount to sexual attraction. Please.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom