Article: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned (update: full i

Re: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned

he mentions that they'll start recording the new album in February!

Great news! Makes me wonder if Solomon will partake in the recordings or if he is really gone for good? :(

There he goes with his woe is me shit again. " I get no radio airplay" wah wah wah which is complete BS . Where I live there is an independent radio station and his music can be heard on there sometimes. I have also heard it played on another station as well. Maybe not the new album but his back catalog does get played. Oh yeah and also his comment about dancing. Sure.RIGHT.NOBODY DANCES TO POOR FEEL SORRY FOR ME MORRISSEY. Even though there are local clubs in various places that host Cure vs.Smiths nights oh and sometimes they do play Morrissey. He needs to get over himself . I really think he only pays attention to anything that is a stereotype of what he is. I don't feel sorry for you Morrissey. You don't appreciate anything.One day I heard " I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" in a store . WHO DOES THIS MAN THINK HE IS? I want to know. I really do.

Airplay on an independent radio isn't exactly, fully, what Morrissey is complaining about.

We also shouldn't forget the songs we already know exist: 'Action is my middle name', 'People are the same everywhere', and cover versions like 'To give is the reason I live'. I doubt if they will feature on a new album but you never know. Boz said that 'Action' and 'People' didn't get included on World Peace as they did not fit right on it and didn't suit the album. I don't know if that was Boz-speak for 'because they are fairly crap' or if they could be tracks on a future album.
Personally I'll be happy with whatever is on the new album as long as it doesn't include 'I didn't know what to do'. That cover version was completely out of step at the Dublin concert when he could have done another song instead. At the same time there was something innocent about the song that made it enjoyable in a perverse way.

My money is on the crap excuse.

Question: "Iako si nedavno objavio novi album, da li možda razmišljaš o sledećem?"

"Even though you recently released a new album, are you thinking about the next one?"

Answer: "Da. Napisali smo novi album i nadam se da ćemo ga snimati u februaru."

"Yes. We've written a new album and hope to record it in February."

The one and only time my knowledge of Serbo-Croatian has come in handy to a non-Serbo-Coratian community. I'm thrilled.

Answer: "Da. Napisali smo novi album i nadam se da ćemo ga snimati u februaru."

"Yes. We've written a new album and I hope that we'll record it in February."

:cheers:

Hi. My name is Vladimir Skočajić, and I did an interview with Moz for Serbian site B92. We did it via e-mail, so I am copy-pasting original question and original answer about his new album. (just so to make it clear it has nothing to do with the wrong translation, as somebody mentioned). If somebody is interested, I can copy the whole interview in English, non-google translate version :) Cheers.

Q: Although you recently recorded a new album, do you have plans for a future album?

A: Yes. We have written a new album and we’d like to record it in February.

Hi. My name is Vladimir Skočajić, and I did an interview with Moz for Serbian site B92. We did it via e-mail, so I am copy-pasting original question and original answer about his new album. (just so to make it clear it has nothing to do with the wrong translation, as somebody mentioned). If somebody is interested, I can copy the whole interview in English, non-google translate version :) Cheers.

Q: Although you recently recorded a new album, do you have plans for a future album?

Hi Skoča

I'm sure many would appreciate it if you could post the original replies in English. Google Translate is better than nothing but it throws up some bizarre phrases! I hope you enjoy the show in Belgrade.

best
BB

Hi Skoča

I'm sure many would appreciate it if you could post the original replies in English. Google Translate is better than nothing but it throws up some bizarre phrases! I hope you enjoy the show in Belgrade.

best
BB

Here it is the whole interview with Moz. I've received his answers on December 3rd.
Enjoy :)

Q: How are you health wise these days?

A: There are no certainties for any of us, but I’m by no means shriveled up.

Q: Has your songwriting process changed over the years?

A: No. I’ve always been a social writer, and this can occasionally sound like mischief – but it isn’t. I’m in the thrall of life, and life is obviously erratic. I don’t want to sing about being horny on a dance floor… so I’m not on the radio very often.

Q: If somebody never heard any of your albums and he wants to start exploring, which albums do you think would be the best start?

A: I think the best ones are the recent ones … “World Peace Is None of Your Business”, “Years of Refusal”, “Ringleader of the Tormentors”, “You Are the Quarry”, and I am very proud of “Vauxhall and I”, “Your Arsenal” and ”Southpaw Grammar”,
“Bona Drag”, and so on. I don’t like the comparison game, but I much prefer solo to Smiths.

Q: How’s living in the U.S compared to the U.K?

A: My reply in boring, I know, but the appalling British weather makes everyone listless, whereas dependable Los Angeles sunshine makes you feel receptive to every hour of every day. Receptive in my case means I actually get out of bed.

Q: In your opinion, what “World Peace Is None Of Your Business” separate from your previous albums? What is so special about the new one?

A: It is magnificent in every way … the music and the voice merge perfectly … and songs such as ‘I’m Not a man’, ‘Earth is the Loneliest Planet’, ‘Staircase at the University’, ‘Kick the Bride Down The Aisle’ and ‘The Bullfighter Dies’ are themes that have never before been expressed as musical recordings… as far as I’m aware. The title track is very strong, and the album offers a great deal for people to think about… which is unusual these days.

Q: Is it true that your personal wish was to extend this tour and to play in Serbia? What are your memories about your last gig here when you played Novi Sad in 2006?

A: I remember that it rained and it didn’t bother anyone at all … they just sang and shouted all night … and it was beautiful for me. Yes, I wanted to get to Belgrade because although it is slightly off the touring path I know it will repay itself with good audience response. Maybe I’m wrong!

Q: What’s your knowledge about Serbia, and about things that have happened here in the last few decades?

A: I am aware of Otpor and CANVAS, and I am obviously inspired by any pro-democracy action whilst also being aware that some countries pose as being democratic when they are not at all democratic. I understand how the word “democracy” can by used as a tactic against the people. I know of the decline of Milosevic, but I’m no Serbian political expert. Do we need to be? No. Just use your own wisdom … it’s usually correct.

Q: You recently wrote your Autobiography. Is there any chance that you will write more – either autobiographical or fiction?

A: Yes. I’ve been very encouraged by the interest in Autobiography … to say the least … and I’m in the midst of something new. There’s no point babbling on about it at this stage.

Q: When you make a list of set lists for the concert, how do you choose songs from your rich catalogue? How often you are changing set lists? Is it each night different or it’s almost the same list throughout your tour?

A: There’s no point considering what people might want to hear, so I just please myself … which means at least one person is definitely happy.
In fact, I often find that the choice of songs doesn’t really matter … people are always responsive.

Q: When you look at pop music today, and pop music from the days when you started playing, how much has it changed?

A: I’ve never felt a part of it, then or now. The most interesting aspect of modern music is that everyone I know has no idea who is number 1 or what is in the charts, whereas years ago we could name every song in the top 40. The charts are now for the marketing departments of record labels, and not actually to reflect public taste.
There was a singer on the TV last week and she said that she’d had four number 1’s in England, and I had never heard of her.

Q: In one of your songs you sing the line about the US “where the President is never black, female or gay”, and in the meantime a black man became President, and Hillary Clinton is not that far from becoming the first female President. Do you think that matters, and do you think it can change anything?

A: Obama is visually black, but his attitude is white, which is why his blackness has changed nothing.
The killing of Michael Brown has proven this. As for Hillary, she is certainly sane, and not irritating – which is unusual for a woman in American politics. But we must remember Margaret Thatcher who was the first female British Prime Minister, and who was so hateful to the British people that there will never again be a female Prime Minister. Change can close doors as well as open them.

Q: Money seems to be more important than ever today. Next to sex, it is probably the major fuel of moving the planet Earth. Was it like that when you were a kid? Do you think something has changed, and if so, what?

A: We are told that sex is everywhere for everyone and very, very available, but I don’t ever see it in actuality. It’s promised, yes, but always withdrawn, and that’s what life seems to be about … teasing people. Yes, people are obsessed with money, but the world is also obsessed with space travel and there’s no vague evidence that space travel will be of any remote benefit to the human race. The moon has absolutely nothing to offer. So why do people get so excited about it?

Q: You recorded “Interlude” with Siouxsie. How was that experience for you?

A: It was OK, but she didn’t want to become friends, and she made that very plain from the start. I thought she sang very well.

Q: Have you heard the two new tracks from David Bowie, or maybe his last album, and what’s your opinion?

A: I heard the very first single, and I was pleased for him … that he was still healthy and he was singing.
Tony Visconti (Bowie’s producer) had told me that David no longer had any interest in songwriting or singing, and that David was very unhappy and did nothing but stay in his apartment every day eating meatballs … which sounded terrible. So I was surprised when a new album jumped out, but I didn’t listen to it because I thought the art-work was horrific.

Q: Music-wise do you think reunions of bands from the 80s or 90s are making sense?

A: No, because the people who listen to them want them to be something that they no longer are, so it’s all just impossible.

Q: Is there some music you’ve made in the past that you are not satisfied with, something you think could’ve done better?

A: Of course, but it’s minimal, and I think my catalogue is very respectable.

Q: Would you recommend some new music?

A: Anna Calvi. You’ll be surprised.

Q: Do you often get zero questions about the Smiths in the interviews?

A: There’s nothing left to say about the Smiths. It’s all been said. People no longer ask.

Hi Skoča

best
BB

Here it is the whole interview with Moz, no editing. I've received his answers on December 3rd.
Enjoy :)

Q: How are you health wise these days?

A: There are no certainties for any of us, but I’m by no means shriveled up.

Q: Has your songwriting process changed over the years?

A: No. I’ve always been a social writer, and this can occasionally sound like mischief – but it isn’t. I’m in the thrall of life, and life is obviously erratic. I don’t want to sing about being horny on a dance floor… so I’m not on the radio very often.

Q: If somebody never heard any of your albums and he wants to start exploring, which albums do you think would be the best start?

A: I think the best ones are the recent ones … “World Peace Is None of Your Business”, “Years of Refusal”, “Ringleader of the Tormentors”, “You Are the Quarry”, and I am very proud of “Vauxhall and I”, “Your Arsenal” and ”Southpaw Grammar”,
“Bona Drag”, and so on. I don’t like the comparison game, but I much prefer solo to Smiths.

Q: How’s living in the U.S compared to the U.K?

A: My reply in boring, I know, but the appalling British weather makes everyone listless, whereas dependable Los Angeles sunshine makes you feel receptive to every hour of every day. Receptive in my case means I actually get out of bed.

Q: In your opinion, what “World Peace Is None Of Your Business” separate from your previous albums? What is so special about the new one?

A: It is magnificent in every way … the music and the voice merge perfectly … and songs such as ‘I’m Not a man’, ‘Earth is the Loneliest Planet’, ‘Staircase at the University’, ‘Kick the Bride Down The Aisle’ and ‘The Bullfighter Dies’ are themes that have never before been expressed as musical recordings… as far as I’m aware. The title track is very strong, and the album offers a great deal for people to think about… which is unusual these days.

Q: Is it true that your personal wish was to extend this tour and to play in Serbia? What are your memories about your last gig here when you played Novi Sad in 2006?

A: I remember that it rained and it didn’t bother anyone at all … they just sang and shouted all night … and it was beautiful for me. Yes, I wanted to get to Belgrade because although it is slightly off the touring path I know it will repay itself with good audience response. Maybe I’m wrong!

Q: What’s your knowledge about Serbia, and about things that have happened here in the last few decades?

A: I am aware of Otpor and CANVAS, and I am obviously inspired by any pro-democracy action whilst also being aware that some countries pose as being democratic when they are not at all democratic. I understand how the word “democracy” can by used as a tactic against the people. I know of the decline of Milosevic, but I’m no Serbian political expert. Do we need to be? No. Just use your own wisdom … it’s usually correct.

Q: You recently wrote your Autobiography. Is there any chance that you will write more – either autobiographical or fiction?

A: Yes. I’ve been very encouraged by the interest in Autobiography … to say the least … and I’m in the midst of something new. There’s no point babbling on about it at this stage.

Q: When you make a list of set lists for the concert, how do you choose songs from your rich catalogue? How often you are changing set lists? Is it each night different or it’s almost the same list throughout your tour?

A: There’s no point considering what people might want to hear, so I just please myself … which means at least one person is definitely happy.
In fact, I often find that the choice of songs doesn’t really matter … people are always responsive.

Q: When you look at pop music today, and pop music from the days when you started playing, how much has it changed?

A: I’ve never felt a part of it, then or now. The most interesting aspect of modern music is that everyone I know has no idea who is number 1 or what is in the charts, whereas years ago we could name every song in the top 40. The charts are now for the marketing departments of record labels, and not actually to reflect public taste.
There was a singer on the TV last week and she said that she’d had four number 1’s in England, and I had never heard of her.

Q: In one of your songs you sing the line about the US “where the President is never black, female or gay”, and in the meantime a black man became President, and Hillary Clinton is not that far from becoming the first female President. Do you think that matters, and do you think it can change anything?

A: Obama is visually black, but his attitude is white, which is why his blackness has changed nothing.
The killing of Michael Brown has proven this. As for Hillary, she is certainly sane, and not irritating – which is unusual for a woman in American politics. But we must remember Margaret Thatcher who was the first female British Prime Minister, and who was so hateful to the British people that there will never again be a female Prime Minister. Change can close doors as well as open them.

Q: Money seems to be more important than ever today. Next to sex, it is probably the major fuel of moving the planet Earth. Was it like that when you were a kid? Do you think something has changed, and if so, what?

A: We are told that sex is everywhere for everyone and very, very available, but I don’t ever see it in actuality. It’s promised, yes, but always withdrawn, and that’s what life seems to be about … teasing people. Yes, people are obsessed with money, but the world is also obsessed with space travel and there’s no vague evidence that space travel will be of any remote benefit to the human race. The moon has absolutely nothing to offer. So why do people get so excited about it?

Q: You recorded “Interlude” with Siouxsie. How was that experience for you?

A: It was OK, but she didn’t want to become friends, and she made that very plain from the start. I thought she sang very well.

Q: Have you heard the two new tracks from David Bowie, or maybe his last album, and what’s your opinion?

A: I heard the very first single, and I was pleased for him … that he was still healthy and he was singing.
Tony Visconti (Bowie’s producer) had told me that David no longer had any interest in songwriting or singing, and that David was very unhappy and did nothing but stay in his apartment every day eating meatballs … which sounded terrible. So I was surprised when a new album jumped out, but I didn’t listen to it because I thought the art-work was horrific.

Q: Music-wise do you think reunions of bands from the 80s or 90s are making sense?

A: No, because the people who listen to them want them to be something that they no longer are, so it’s all just impossible.

Q: Is there some music you’ve made in the past that you are not satisfied with, something you think could’ve done better?

A: Of course, but it’s minimal, and I think my catalogue is very respectable.

Q: Would you recommend some new music?

A: Anna Calvi. You’ll be surprised.

Q: Do you often get zero questions about the Smiths in the interviews?

A: There’s nothing left to say about the Smiths. It’s all been said. People no longer ask.

Re: Article: Morrissey interview in B92 (Serbian); recording new album in Feb. mentioned (update: fu

thanks for posting it as i enjoyed very much and thanks brumie for asking and making it happen. fairs fair

Volim te! (finally get to use one of the few serbo-croatian phrases I know and remember!)

Thanks for the full interview, anonymous.
Moz says he would 'like' to record the new album in February, and 'like' is not the same as 'will', but it is definitely a positive sign. A record deal must be imminent.

I didn't like but was not surprised by his comment about not considering what people want to hear. We are his audience and we keep him in chips and crisps, so while he should never whore himself for us we should be a consideration in the back of his mind when it comes to song choices for concerts. To squander 3 minutes on mush like 'I didn't know what to do' when he could have done a song like 'you're the one for me, fatty' or 'last of the famous' is mind boggling. I'm not complaining, but he owes us his living. That's a sad fact widely known.
p.s. his concert in Dublin was amazing. Would have been even more amazing if he sang for longer than an hour 10 mins or whatever the cookie-cutter duration is.

Moz says he would 'like' to record the new album in February, and 'like' is not the same as 'will', but it is definitely a positive sign. A record deal must be imminent.

I didn't like but was not surprised by his comment about not considering what people want to hear. We are his audience and we keep him in chips and crisps, so while he should never whore himself for us we should be a consideration in the back of his mind when it comes to song choices for concerts. To squander 3 minutes on mush like 'I didn't know what to do' when he could have done a song like 'you're the one for me, fatty' or 'last of the famous' is mind boggling. I'm not complaining, but he owes us his living. That's a sad fact widely known.
p.s. his concert in Dublin was amazing. Would have been even more amazing if he sang for longer than an hour 10 mins or whatever the cookie-cutter duration is.

Fatty, really? That's the best you could come up with? One of his weakest songs of all time. I'd take an obscure cover song any time.

no we got the entertainment and he got the money which leaves him owing us nothing. thats just fair. when i saw ryan adams he would ask the audience what they wanted to hear and he said well to f@cking bad which i loved. im watching an artist perform there artistry and i think my involvement in that process, even in setlists, would ruin that experience. it would ruin the surprise and would only dilute the quality of the output. any involvement by someone not the artist will dilute the work and i dont want that. i do understand that people see things differently and want different things but just to point out that there are those of us that would like no fan involvement in the setlist.

Yes, thanks for the interview. I will never understand why Mozz such underestimates what was done with The Smiths. Son many matserpieces he seems to ignore. Ok for saying that he succeeding in making great records after that, but why this attitude towards his own past ?

Fatty, really? That's the best you could come up with? One of his weakest songs of all time. I'd take an obscure cover song any time.

I could come up with 200 songs that would be better than any cover version.
'Jack the Ripper', 'Nobody Loves Us', 'Now my heart is full', 'Last of the Famous', 'Boxers', 'Why don't you find out for yourself?', 'I've changed my plea', etc etc.
My point was that he could easily throw in a handful of songs to round out the concert better. I've never heard 'fatty' live (or at least I don't think I have) so that one came to mind, and I like it.

I could come up with 200 songs that would be better than any cover version.
'Jack the Ripper', 'Nobody Loves Us', 'Now my heart is full', 'Last of the Famous', 'Boxers', 'Why don't you find out for yourself?', 'I've changed my plea', etc etc.
My point was that he could easily throw in a handful of songs to round out the concert better. I've never heard 'fatty' live (or at least I don't think I have) so that one came to mind, and I like it.

I too think he should change his setlists now and then during the tour, but I don't see the point in getting worked up over a snippet of a song (a snippet he's only sung once, mind).

I thought the Speedway interlude of I Didn't Know What To Do was hilarious, poignant, confusing and inspired.

But I'm sure your average audience member would have preferred This Charming Man

I thought the Speedway interlude of I Didn't Know What To Do was hilarious, poignant, confusing and inspired.

But I'm sure your average audience member would have preferred This Charming Man

He did a stripped down, melancholy take on Handsome Devil in Gothenburg, during the Speedway interlude. That was stunning.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom