Armond White's Best Pop Music of 2020 includes IANADOAC - National Review

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain made it into one end of year list. Unsurprisingly, it's Armond White's: Best Pop Music of 2020 | National Review

I Am Not a Dog on a Chain, by Morrissey

"A call to arms, legs, the body parts in between, and, ultimately, a call for courage. The title track takes inspiration from ’60s Bob Dylan while the entire album speaks to the political ruses and personal evasions of the time — ours and Morrissey’s own, which he always teases. His electrifying duet with Thelma Houston calls out hypocrisy yet offers affection. Every track — each one about the adventure of living — is more than relevant; they feel immediate."

Ahahahahaha! Van Morrison's anti-lockdown album? AAhahahahahah! IANADOAC? Ahahahahah!

The National Review there, with it's searing right-wing agenda bending all rationality to bring you the opinion that really matters. I mean, look at the opening paragraph...

"That’s the despotic liberal response to 2020 pop music; the music-loving conservative’s response should be ecstatic"

Get in the f***ing sea

Rough and Rowdy Ways, by Bob Dylan

Everything Dylan knows, and that his followers take on faith when convenient, applied to our era of dread. Through one self-mocking grand gesture after another, this album hints yet at the vitality gained from historical awareness. It starts quoting Walt Whitman, Edgar Allan Poe, William Blake, and Jimmy Reed, and then — impishly — channels Morrissey. It’s a prank for those music and political snobs who cannot hear or heed Morrissey and the necessity for a reassessed humane vision to surpass pop music’s conventions.

:unsure:

Armond White used to be good, as an enfant terrible among film critics. But eventually he turned into a contrarian for contrarianism's sake, and began praising things like Michael Bay and comic book movies. Now here he is, pretending these bloated, bland dinosaurs are still making relevant or interesting music. Time was when anything redolent of a tired, slickly-produced "elder statesman of rock" vibe was anathema. But I guess that's what one goes to the National Review for. People who like to hear George Harrison singing Got My Mind Set on You, or Eric Clapton soundtracking beer commercials or whatever it was with After Midnight. When Morrissey is singing along to Manzurian electro-pop, it's over. Somehow Armond White thinks the ghost of Kurt Cobain is vindicated by the music of 2020. To each their own—even to the insane.

I like Dog On A Chain.

Culture War pundits don't care about art though. They only care about the polarised discourse that will drive their metrics up.

& it's sad when decent journalists end up having to write that stuff.

if any review doesnt sit with skinflints left wing views its shit.its amazing how theres a certain group of people on the left who think they are above everyone else and they will only ever allow their views to be heard over anyone elses.

To be fair to Uncleskinny on this one, the National Review has long been considered the periodical of "country club Republicans." It's not normally where one would turn for good music journalism. I will grant that Armond White can be an interesting writer, and perhaps he elevates the National Review a notch, but being a bull in a china shop offers only diminishing marginal utility. At this point it's impossible to tell whether he actually likes something, or whether he likes the fact that his championing of the thing will piss off the phonies and the elite.

Ahahahahaha! Van Morrison's anti-lockdown album? AAhahahahahah! IANADOAC? Ahahahahah!

The National Review there, with it's searing right-wing agenda bending all rationality to bring you the opinion that really matters. I mean, look at the opening paragraph...

"That’s the despotic liberal response to 2020 pop music; the music-loving conservative’s response should be ecstatic"

Get in the f***ing sea
So left-leaning rags that pillory Morrissey = good. A Conservative paper that praises his album = complete evil and the worst thing ever. Uncle Fatso's Morrissey Derangement Syndrome shows no sign of abating in 2021.

Fair play to uncleskinny,
Oops he’s done it again......

Taken the opportunity to turn a thread into a left- right argument..

Sits back then after he’s wound you all up , smokes his Churchill cigar, swishing his Whiskey and soda in his leather armchair,
Reminiscing at posts that he has controlled...... probably whilst sitting beside a roaring open fire..

In the words of Sinatra....

ITS THE GOOD LIFE

To be fair to Uncleskinny on this one, the National Review has long been considered the periodical of "country club Republicans." It's not normally where one would turn for good music journalism. I will grant that Armond White can be an interesting writer, and perhaps he elevates the National Review a notch, but being a bull in a china shop offers only diminishing marginal utility. At this point it's impossible to tell whether he actually likes something, or whether he likes the fact that his championing of the thing will piss off the phonies and the elite.
Armond White has long been a fan of Morrissey though, so that's one thing you can be sure he actually likes. He'd even written a book on Morrissey (Knee Deep in Great Experiences) that was supposed to be released sometime around 1999/2000, and then announced again in the mid-2000s, but for whatever reason it never got published.

"One could say that this year, the music-culture victories of Morrissey, X, Dylan, and Morrison were simply a matter of wisdom triumphing over inanity. But they’re more than that: They represent the quiet part of the zeitgeist, rebelling against the dominant market culture."

Pretty much.

Armond White has long been a fan of Morrissey though, so that's one thing you can be sure he actually likes. He'd even written a book on Morrissey (Knee Deep in Great Experiences) that was supposed to be released sometime around 1999/2000, and then announced again in the mid-2000s, but for whatever reason it never got published.

I realize he likes Morrissey. And he probably genuinely likes the pop and dance stylings of I Am Not a Dog On a Chain. Discriminating taste is not his strong suit. But when he’s awarding his top honors to artists in the fourth, fifth, and sixth decades of their careers, and saying the ghost of Kurt Cobain is vindicated in all this, then something is very wrong. Cobain was smart to get out young and save himself from precisely this sort of washed-up embarrassment. The Nirvana albums are light years better than any of these listed. In fact, they refute all this boring croaking of old men. Nothing was vindicated in 2020 except the sad fact of decline.

I realize he likes Morrissey. And he probably genuinely likes the pop and dance stylings of I Am Not a Dog On a Chain. Discriminating taste is not his strong suit. But when he’s awarding his top honors to artists in the fourth, fifth, and sixth decades of their careers, and saying the ghost of Kurt Cobain is vindicated in all this, then something is very wrong. Cobain was smart to get out young and save himself from precisely this sort of washed-up embarrassment. The Nirvana albums are light years better than any of these listed. In fact, they refute all this boring croaking of old men. Nothing was vindicated in 2020 except the sad fact of decline.
And , NEVERMIND was from ....
the punk era .....
Stolen by Kurt to a new generation of 4king losers ...
And he got out......
By blowing his brains out
True rock n roll....
“You fool”
And his daughter???
Long life to moz
And us long suffering fans....
VIVA ARGENTINA
VIVA SCOTLAND
VIVA ENGLAND
VIVA FALKLAND ISLES
VIVA KAREN.....
VIVA LIUJI

Not sure I understand your point re Cobain? I think you've got the Kurt Cobain reference backwards, which is understandable considering how White's syntax is a bit confusing in that paragraph.

Rubbish review. Supporting this album equals supporting racism and fascism, both favorites of the soon to be dead Moz.

Not sure I understand your point re Cobain? I think you've got the Kurt Cobain reference backwards, which is understandable considering how White's syntax is a bit confusing in that paragraph.

You're right; mea culpa. He's saying that if Cobain is vindicated, it's in the dreck of today, not in the latest Morrissey, Dylan, and Van Morrison records (which are far from dreck, in his view). That's even worse than what I thought he had said. He is saying that Cobain represented mere "white anarchy," and that these dinosaurs were, in 2020, going against Cobainean nihilism with what he perceives as their thoughtfulness, soulfulness, and literary verve.

I guess such things are in the eye of beholder. Maybe Nirvana is just empty and anarchic. I don't know; but I'll take that kind of thing over an old man settling into a recliner and enjoying the latest Dylan on headphones, or a middle-aged mom dancing to Knockabout World in a suburban kitchen. She can dance her legs down to the knees. But I don't think "lockdown protest" dad-rock has the bite White thinks it does.

And , NEVERMIND was from ....
the punk era .....
Stolen by Kurt to a new generation of 4king losers ...
And he got out......
By blowing his brains out
True rock n roll....
“You fool”
And his daughter???
Long life to moz
And us long suffering fans....
VIVA ARGENTINA
VIVA SCOTLAND
VIVA ENGLAND
VIVA FALKLAND ISLES
VIVA KAREN.....
VIVA LIUJI

His exit was admittedly messy. There are less violent ways to turn out the lights. But he got out nevertheless, and spared himself the inevitable ignominy. Viva Nirvana. I guess you don't see the "Melvis" accusations as having any substance. But I offer you:

MOZ_3518.jpg

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom