Anyone else work in a call center?

Not a call center but I had a job doing this phone sales thing. My friend Deidre got us the job. We had to call people and ask if they wanted a free hearing test. We got paid by the hour and then if they took the hearing test we got some kind of bonus, and if they bought a hearing aid we got $25.
At first we worked in this little room full of phones but then they said we could work at home if we wanted to. Awesome! So I actually made the calls from home for a while because I was so naive. Then I realized that no one was ever going to take the test and there was no way to know if we called or not. So we just started turning in hours and getting paid. LOL THe problem was that there was only one prefix in the town (Sedona, AZ '282') and the numbers only went from 282-0100 to 282-4999. Also, ALL of the unlisted numbers were in a sequential block! So you wouldn't know who you were talking to, but you knew it was an unlisted number. Jane Russell lived in that town and I am positive I called her and got bitched out by her. "How did YOU get this number?!" I explained. "You mean you are calling every number IN ORDER!?!?!" hahaha
So that led to another job trying to get people to come to an event that the police were having. We actually called those numbers and actually sold some tickets because people are afraid not to buy something from the police.

But after that I got a job as a waiter or something.

One of the few jobs I have done. Commiserations. ;)

Hey Texas, are there any windows there? Mine had NONE. Twice, very briefly, I ran the night shift on a party line. If you knew me you'd realize how truly hilarious that is. :o

I do have three huge windows....last week i witnessed a labrador sized dog violating a lil chihahua. that was my hi-light of the day!

I do have three huge windows....last week i witnessed a labrador sized dog violating a lil chihahua. that was my hi-light of the day!

Whoa. I never saw anything like that while on the phone. :(

Did you hear one of them say "In Chihuahuan, no means no too, just because I hang out with Paris, doesn't mean :rolleyes:...".

I worked in an RBS call center for three months. They sacked me on new years eve because I couln't keep the call length target of 170 seconds and because I gave too many refunds. I was hired through a temp agency so I was easy to get rid off.

This was seriousely the worst job I ever had. I hated it more than working in a smoothie bar in Romford, occasionally doing 11 hour shifts.

Tags
been there done that
Back
Top Bottom