Antidepressant drugs don't work – official study

i think white chocolate is a sodding and amazingly fast working antidepressant and 2 and a half men, also do that work, at least on me...

i once took prozac...and it didn't make me feel less depressed, maybe it was because i wasn't depressed at all, and it al was a facade ...

they worked for me! In a big way! I resisted taking them for quite a while, but in the end I did and have never looked back (stopped taking them years ago too) :)

I think it is important to speak with a shrink also. So many people just take antidepressants, which is a band-aid solution, really. For me, antidepressants gave me the motivation to try and get better, the rest was up to me. Without them, I just couldn't do anything to try and help myself. I couldn't do much really.

I don't know if they work or not. All I know is that when I came off them I had a horrendous hangover and physical aching for about a fortnight. It wasn't pleasant. So I'd imagine they've got to do SOMETHING!

they worked for me! In a big way! I resisted taking them for quite a while, but in the end I did and have never looked back (stopped taking them years ago too) :)

I think it is important to speak with a shrink also. So many people just take antidepressants, which is a band-aid solution, really. For me, antidepressants gave me the motivation to try and get better, the rest was up to me. Without them, I just couldn't do anything to try and help myself. I couldn't do much really.

Yes, the same situation here. You've taken the thoughts out of my head and put it into words better than I ever could!

This is possibly the most positive account I've read of depression.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/feb/27/mentalhealth

It's comforting to think of it not as a defect, but a natural defence. Maybe we have got it all wrong in the modern world by viewing depression as an illness to be cured with a few pills? Perhaps all that introspection is an opportunity to learn something about ourselves and be more realistic about life?

'depressives may simply be judging themselves and the world much more accurately than non-depressed people, and finding it not a pretty place.'

I don't know how much money they spent on this report but i could've told them for nothing

'depressives may simply be judging themselves and the world much more accurately than non-depressed people, and finding it not a pretty place.'

i read somewhere that the more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to become depressed. sad, eh!

i'm taking risperdal for social anxiety and tourettes (motor tics), and it doesn't work. i keep on getting perscribed a higher and higher dosage, and it doesn't do anything. but i think the prozac i take might be working. i suddenly became alot less pesimisstic after i started taking it. and i don't worry about things so much like i used to.

But it depends of the drug. I use seratonin. When I started to use it, I had little a bit shaking and dizziness, but they went away.

I had 15 seroxat in an evening when i was younger. All saddled down with copious amounts of booze.

I lost about 5hours and came round on a bus.... at 7am.... I didn't need to get a bus and the one I was on was going in a totally different direction from where I lived. NOT A JAR OF GLUE

So I would say they work.

i'm taking risperdal for social anxiety and tourettes (motor tics), and it doesn't work. i keep on getting perscribed a higher and higher dosage, and it doesn't do anything. but i think the prozac i take might be working. i suddenly became alot less pesimisstic after i started taking it. and i don't worry about things so much like i used to.

risperdal is an all or nothing. and sometimes it just makes you sleepy as hell. good luck w/the tics!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's interesting that, in response to the publication of this study, many people are being defensive of medication as an answer to their problems. it's almost as though they can only feel vindicated if their unhappiness and dissatisfaction with life has been officially validated and treated as a kind of illness. the idea that personal unhappiness is (and should be) amenable to medical intervention is, at best, odd (at least, to me). i blame fans of arcade fire.

"the problem is not that there are problems. the problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."

I had 15 seroxat in an evening when i was younger. All saddled down with copious amounts of booze.

I lost about 5hours and came round on a bus.... at 7am.... I didn't need to get a bus and the one I was on was going in a totally different direction from where I lived. NOT A JAR OF GLUE

So I would say they work.

hello dave,is dave there?work'us.

it's interesting that, in response to the publication of this study, many people are being defensive of medication as an answer to their problems. it's almost as though they can only feel vindicated if their unhappiness and dissatisfaction with life has been officially validated and treated as a kind of illness. the idea that personal unhappiness is (and should be) amenable to medical intervention is, at best, odd (at least, to me). i blame fans of arcade fire.

"the problem is not that there are problems. the problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."

Has Arcade Fire been around that long?

Back
Top Bottom