Antidepressant drugs don't work – official study

There will always be those who believe that depression, and recovery from depression,
are within a persons control. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I think it is because that
way they can trick themselves into thinking it will never happen to them. To admit that it is a disease which could affect anyone means admitting it could happen to them.

Of course I could be completely off on that...

antidepressants drugs are not for me... but they sure do work on my dad and that is so very obvious. I am sure that you need the right meds... and that sometimes takes years to find. Have a look at Brian Wilson on the wrong meds... and now on the right meds... worlds of difference... and sometimes they really do help.

For me, I find that as long as I take B12 and folic acid and as long as I stay hydrated and live on a healthy balanced diet free from many things that disturb me such as dairy and certain oils etc... I don't feel the need to even look into anti depressants... at least not for now.

There will always be those who believe that depression, and recovery from depression,
are within a persons control. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I think it is because that
way they can trick themselves into thinking it will never happen to them. To admit that it is a disease which could affect anyone means admitting it could happen to them.

Of course I could be completely off on that...

that could be part of it, but i think also its cuz it's not like you can take a blood test and the doctor will say "yes, you have depression!" same thing with alcoholism or drug dependency. if you can't physically prove it, then they don't think it's real. those who have experienced these things however, know how very real it is.

that could be part of it, but i think also its cuz it's not like you can take a blood test and the doctor will say "yes, you have depression!" same thing with alcoholism or drug dependency. if you can't physically prove it, then they don't think it's real. those who have experienced these things however, know how very real it is.

True. However, there are also no blood tests to diagnose Parkinson's
and no one test to diagnose MS. There are many diseases which are
diagnosed by process of elimination...there may soon be a blood test
to diagnose bipolar disorder soon...

interesting. My dad went on celexa because the doctors told him that the stress and tension he was experiencing as a result of underlying depression was making his eye condition worse. The eye was leaking fluid because of stress... near the retena which was causing the eye to deteriorate. It is still going but with the pills he does not leak that fluid at a quick rate because he is stress free. They told him that he would be totally blind in 5 years at the rate he was losing his vision... naturally that would make anybody depressed and feel even more tension... so they immediately put him on the pills... and now its about 7 years on and he still plays golf and is skiing and can see fairly okay. Antidepressants not only slowed the retna leakage thing... but also helped him to relax about the very loss of vision and also enjoy life much more and certainly be more fun around other people.

The eye thing was a very real indicator and the doctors are the ones who told him he needs to consider pills to reduce stress and slow the process... and it worked.

it's interesting that, in response to the publication of this study, many people are being defensive of medication as an answer to their problems. it's almost as though they can only feel vindicated if their unhappiness and dissatisfaction with life has been officially validated and treated as a kind of illness. the idea that personal unhappiness is (and should be) amenable to medical intervention is, at best, odd (at least, to me).

Hello, HIM, I haven't consulted any books either! But I somehow imagine that depression is a bad chemical balance in brain. It can be compared to non-contagious diseases because you can be perfectly happy, satisfied with your life and have no pre-existing psychological problem, and suddenly, in a couple of months you become depressed. Just like you can be perfectly healthy and suddenly get cancer. Why it happens is beyond me, genetics could be one thing, but for sure you can never know it won't happen to you.

Hello, HIM, I haven't consulted any books either! But I somehow imagine that depression is a bad chemical balance in brain. It can be compared to non-contagious diseases because you can be perfectly happy, satisfied with your life and have no pre-existing psychological problem, and suddenly, in a couple of months you become depressed. Just like you can be perfectly healthy and suddenly get cancer. Why it happens is beyond me, genetics could be one thing, but for sure you can never know it won't happen to you.

hallo chica. hope all is well on the boat.

it certainly sounds serious and difficult to understand. it's a problem of enormous complexity. i hope it never happens to me.

Depression in the true sense is not the same as self-pity.Self pity i cannot abide in anyone.Depression however is real.My eight year has depression.there are times when I see him in my minds eye ten years on threatening to kill himself.He also has ADHD and has started Ritalin.The change is dramatic.He is happier and more content.If this is possible for a little boy who has trouble with concentration,social skills and inner belief then I'm all for any drug that can help anyone's mental health.And it should not be criticised.

IMHO: They work, then they suddenly 'bomb out'. You switch to something else. It doesn't work at all. Try something else, it works...a bit. For a while. Side effects. Weight gain. Libido failure or overdrive.

CBT and psychotherapy alongside exercise and nutrition have worked for me. But the idea that SSRI's haven't been a 'rubber ring' to some 'lifeguard sleeping, girl drowning' situations and that there's only an enhanced placebo/witch-doctor effect seems bizarre. To say the least.

But then, I'm only an 'expert patient'. Not an 'expert' doctor or researcher.

Brain scans can now actually show the descent into Hell, just as they can show the reality of Zen/Meditative states. They can also track OCD.

Are people who died because they had depression any less dead than if they had died of cancer? Did they somehow "earn" their depression, whereas the cancer is "not the fault" of those who have it?

Oh, never mind...

Nope, never said that anyone earned it or which one is better off. I mean you could of said a cardiovascular disease, but that is also not comparable to cancer or being diagnosed as clinically depressed.

Oh, well never mind......i wonder if when later today, when i have to go to the Coulter chemotherapy unit. I can ask some of the patients if they think being depressed and or having a malignant disease, is really comparable. I think i'll be told to f*** right off!

[youtube]bPOrD6xfDNo&feature=related[/youtube]​

[youtube]99RWfNVJKlo&feature=related[/youtube]​

[youtube]SwEMDmHUnjI&feature=related[/youtube]​

[youtube]JqPDNbobDk8&feature=related[/youtube]​

ok i watched all of that first video. got through about a minute of the second one. first i just want to applaud your youtube research skills. secondly, for every person that said anti-depressants harmed them, there's gonna be someone who's gonna say the drugs helped them. no one here is saying that they work 100% of the time. and yes, I realize in many cases drugs are given out like candy, but for some people they DO help. in the first minute of that second video the girl said she didnt have suicidal thoughts til after she took the medication. well what about people who had suicidal thoughts BEFORE they were on medication, and then those thoughts stopped after the drugs took effect. what are you trying to prove here? the first video said there was no cure for mental illness. where theres no cure for cancer either, does that mean it doesn't exist? I'm really glad you've never had to deal with depression, I really am...no, I'm really happy for you. I just hope if you have kids one day they never come to you and tell you they think they're depressed. what are you gonna tell them? "oh you're full of crap, go get more sun." :rolleyes:

Interesting videos. What's with all the depressed kids?? When I was young I had never heard of depression in kids. Is this is a newish thing? :confused:

? the first video said there was no cure for mental illness. where theres no cure for cancer either, does that mean it doesn't exist? :

Right, i am f***ed with this thread and people linking cancer with mental illness.
It is seriously insensitive to people who may read here and know people who or are suffering from cancer, or may have a form of cancer.

So, please could it stop now.

[youtube]KMAtkRLgf9o&feature=related[/youtube]​

Interesting videos. What's with all the depressed kids?? When I was young I had never heard of depression in kids. Is this is a newish thing? :confused:

Alrite luv, it would seem to be a bunch of whining middle class Americans, feeling a bit 'down in the dumps' and then generally getting ripped off by a drug company for about the tune of £170 a month....so they can 'function' in their busy modern lifestyle; judging by the posts here:rolleyes: Or am I being too sarcastic today?

[youtube]T4nKd2Z8bro&feature=related[/youtube]​

Back
Top Bottom