Antidepressant drugs don't work – official study

I thought it was that placebos are just as effective as the actual drugs, not that the drugs don't work at all. And the placebos are cheaper (obviously), so there's really no point in making the drugs anymore.

it's interesting that, in response to the publication of this study, many people are being defensive of medication as an answer to their problems. it's almost as though they can only feel vindicated if their unhappiness and dissatisfaction with life has been officially validated and treated as a kind of illness. the idea that personal unhappiness is (and should be) amenable to medical intervention is, at best, odd (at least, to me). i blame fans of arcade fire.

"the problem is not that there are problems. the problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."

HIM, I respectfully suggest that you read up on depression. It is not about having problems and being dissatisfied with your lot in life. Everyone has problems and parts of their life they aren't happy with. Being depressed is about not being able to take pleasure in anything, feeling emotionally numb, wanting to disappear, believing that you and the rest of the world would be better off without you, not being able to get out of bed... it is a serious illness. I believe it also grants you deeper insight into some aspects of life, but that's beside the point.

Those here who say things like, "The drugs didn't work, listening to Morrissey did"-- I just don't think you had depression. Depression and bad moods are not the same thing.

I still have all the same problems I started out with, but with the help of medication, they aren't overwhelming and I can take steps to address them. Telling a person with depression that they need to accept that life isn't always happy is like telling a person with cancer that they need to accept that sometimes we have aches and pains. Depression is a serious illness, and untreated depression actually causes neural damage in the brain. One study is not adequate to refute decades' worth of hard work by researchers who are trying to help people.

I also want to add that not every class of drug will help every patient, and some may not respond to any medication. If you've tried medication and it didn't work, you could ask to try a different type of drug-- they work in different ways.

HIM, I respectfully suggest that you read up on depression. It is not about having problems and being dissatisfied with your lot in life. Everyone has problems and parts of their life they aren't happy with. Being depressed is about not being able to take pleasure in anything, feeling emotionally numb, wanting to disappear, believing that you and the rest of the world would be better off without you, not being able to get out of bed... it is a serious illness. I believe it also grants you deeper insight into some aspects of life, but that's beside the point.

Those here who say things like, "The drugs didn't work, listening to Morrissey did"-- I just don't think you had depression. Depression and bad moods are not the same thing.

I still have all the same problems I started out with, but with the help of medication, they aren't overwhelming and I can take steps to address them. Telling a person with depression that they need to accept that life isn't always happy is like telling a person with cancer that they need to accept that sometimes we have aches and pains. Depression is a serious illness, and untreated depression actually causes neural damage in the brain. One study is not adequate to refute decades' worth of hard work by researchers who are trying to help people.

I also want to add that not every class of drug will help every patient, and some may not respond to any medication. If you've tried medication and it didn't work, you could ask to try a different type of drug-- they work in different ways.

Well said.
Everything that makes you 'you' is gone. I was totally indifferent to
life. If Morrissey was at the door I would have just gone back to sleep.

first and foremost, thank you for that respectful suggestion. i shall go away and find out what some experts have to say on the subject and get back to you when i know a bit more about it; it seems pretty complicated. i had no idea.

in the meantime, can i respectfully suggest that you stop trying to equate "a person with depression" to "a person with cancer"? ("depression" and cancer aren't really that comparable.)

first and foremost, thank you for that respectful suggestion. i shall go away and find out what some experts have to say on the subject and get back to you when i know a bit more about it; it seems pretty complicated. i had no idea.

in the meantime, can i respectfully suggest that you stop trying to equate "a person with depression" to "a person with cancer"? ("depression" and cancer aren't really that comparable.)

why'd you put depression in quotes?

I don't know for sure, but I think HIM might be interested in cultural aspects of Depression. But where he blames fans of Arcade Fire, I blame the Existentialists.

PS: I am neither for nor against the use of medication; it's a matter of individual choice. My own Depression is a side effect of an incurable physical condition, so it's impossible to medicate. It's like having a permanent doctor's note, but I try not take advantage much.

They aren't? Depression is a potentially fatal disease. It shortens the life expectancy of the people who have it, even if they do not commit suicide. That is a measurable, real effect of the illness. I'd rather have depression than cancer, certainly, but they are still both valid illnesses.

They aren't? Depression is a potentially fatal disease. It shortens the life expectancy of the people who have it, even if they do not commit suicide. That is a measurable, real effect of the illness. I'd rather have depression than cancer, certainly, but they are still both valid illnesses.

But they are not the same illness, therefore are not comparable. More people survive depression, then people who survive cancer.

Antidepressants are great to give you a kick, like helping you to start functioning normally. But for me, what really helped was a long-term therapy. It's just not enough to take pills. It's not that easy.

But they are not the same illness, therefore are not comparable. More people survive depression, then people who survive cancer.

Are people who died because they had depression any less dead than if they had died of cancer? Did they somehow "earn" their depression, whereas the cancer is "not the fault" of those who have it?

Oh, never mind...

Depression is a potentially fatal disease.

depression is not a disease, fatal or otherwise.

Are people who died because they had depression any less dead than if they had died of cancer? Did they somehow "earn" their depression, whereas the cancer is "not the fault" of those who have it?

Oh, never mind...

people do not die "because they had depression".

(sorry, i still haven't had a chance to consult the experts about depression yet, but you can probably see that from my response. i apologise if i seem to have trivialised your illness; that'll be due to my being ignorant about the difficult stuff in books 'n' stuff. i don't know what i'm talking about.)

Wait, I get it: "Depression doesn't kill people; ropes, guns, knives, ovens, poison, and sudden deceleration from great heights kill people."

Are you going to say that alcoholism isn't a disease, because what people are really dying from is cirrhosis of the liver, or driving drunk, etc.?

(sorry, i still haven't had a chance to consult the experts about depression yet, but you can probably see that from my response. i apologise if i seem to have trivialised your illness; that'll be due to my being ignorant about the difficult stuff in books 'n' stuff. i don't know what i'm talking about.)

Yet you're very eager to keep talking...

Wait, I get it: "Depression doesn't kill people; ropes, guns, knives, ovens, poison, and sudden deceleration from great heights kill people."

Are you going to say that alcoholism isn't a disease, because what people are really dying from is cirrhosis of the liver, or driving drunk, etc.?

no sir, that isn't what i was gonna say. however you reminded me of this beauty...

Yet you're very eager to keep talking...

yes, i'm always talking, me. all the time. talk, talk, talk. people can't get a word in edgeways when i'm around. i've decided to consult a doctor about it; it's a big problem for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
some fun facts I just found:

Depression Statistics: General Fact Information

_ In any given year, about seven percent - between 13 million and 14 million people - will experience a depressive disorder.

_ Of those who develop depression, only about 20 percent will receive adequate treatment.

_ About 16 percent of adults will experience depression at some point in their life.

_ About 97 percent of those reporting depression also reported that their work, home life and relationships suffered as a result.

_ Depression can quadruple a person's risk of dying within 6 months after a heart attack.

_ Depression is also known to weaken the immune system, making the body more susceptible to physical illness.

Depression Statistics: Women Fact Information

_ Women are twice as likely to experience depression as men.

_ Approximately 7 million women in the United States are clinically depressed.

_ One in five women can expect to develop clinical depression at some time in her life.

_ Depression is the leading cause of disability in women.

_ Only one of every three depressed women will seek professional help.

_ Almost 15 percent of women suffering from severe depression will commit suicide.

_ About 10 percent of women will experience postpartum depression in the months following the birth of a child.

_ Married women have higher rates of depression than single women, with depression most likely during childbearing years.

_ Depression in women occurs most frequently between the ages of 25 and 44.

Depression Statistics: Men Fact Information

_ Though women experience depression at double the rate of men, men are three times as likely to commit suicide than women.

_ Suicide is most common among men who are separated, widowed, divorced.

_ One in seven men will develop depression within 6 months of becoming unemployed.

_ Retired men are also at an increased risk for depression.

_ Men recently diagnosed with depression are at double the risk of cardiovascular problems in the next five years.

Depression Statistics: Suicide Fact Information

_ Two out of every three people who commit suicide visited their health care provider in the month prior.

_ Two out of every three people who commit suicide have talked about suicide to friends or family.

_ Suicide is the third leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15 and 24.

_ Suicide is the sixth leading cause of death for children between the ages of 5 and 14.

_ The risk of suicide increases, particularly in adolescent boys, if the person has a conduct disorder or substance abuse problem in addition to depression.

Up to 15% of those who are clinically depressed die by suicide.
In 1997, suicide was the 8th leading cause of death in the United States. 10.6 out of every 100,000 persons died by suicide. The total number of suicides was approximately 30,535.
In 1996 there were an estimated 500,000 suicide attempts.

so yeah, depression...virtually harmless!!!

Depression and Suicide
Depression is the cause of over two-thirds of the 30,000 reported suicides in the U.S. each year. (White House Conference on Mental Health, 1999)

For every two homicides committed in the United States, there are three suicides.

The suicide rate for older adults is more than 50% higher than the rate for the nation as a whole. Up to two-thirds of older adult suicides are attributed to untreated or misdiagnosed depression. (American Society on Aging, 1998)

Untreated depression is the number one risk for suicide among youth. Suicide is the third leading cause of death in 15 to 24 year olds and the fourth leading cause of death in 10 to 14 year olds. Young males age 15 to 24 are at highest risk for suicide, with a ratio of males to females at 7:1. (American Association of Suicidology, 1996)

The death rate from suicide (11.3 per 100,000 population) remains higher than the death rate for chronic liver disease, Alzheimer’s, homicide, arteriosclerosis or hypertension. (Deaths: Final Data for 1998, Center for Disease Control)

some fun facts I just found:

Depression Statistics: General Fact Information

_ In any given year, about seven percent - between 13 million and 14 million people - will experience a depressive disorder.

_ Of those who develop depression, only about 20 percent will receive adequate treatment.

_ About 16 percent of adults will experience depression at some point in their life.

_ About 97 percent of those reporting depression also reported that their work, home life and relationships suffered as a result.

_ Depression can quadruple a person's risk of dying within 6 months after a heart attack.

_ Depression is also known to weaken the immune system, making the body more susceptible to physical illness.

Depression Statistics: Women Fact Information

_ Women are twice as likely to experience depression as men.

_ Approximately 7 million women in the United States are clinically depressed.

_ One in five women can expect to develop clinical depression at some time in her life.

_ Depression is the leading cause of disability in women.

_ Only one of every three depressed women will seek professional help.

_ Almost 15 percent of women suffering from severe depression will commit suicide.

_ About 10 percent of women will experience postpartum depression in the months following the birth of a child.

_ Married women have higher rates of depression than single women, with depression most likely during childbearing years.

_ Depression in women occurs most frequently between the ages of 25 and 44.

Depression Statistics: Men Fact Information

_ Though women experience depression at double the rate of men, men are three times as likely to commit suicide than women.

_ Suicide is most common among men who are separated, widowed, divorced.

_ One in seven men will develop depression within 6 months of becoming unemployed.

_ Retired men are also at an increased risk for depression.

_ Men recently diagnosed with depression are at double the risk of cardiovascular problems in the next five years.

Depression Statistics: Suicide Fact Information

_ Two out of every three people who commit suicide visited their health care provider in the month prior.

_ Two out of every three people who commit suicide have talked about suicide to friends or family.

_ Suicide is the third leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15 and 24.

_ Suicide is the sixth leading cause of death for children between the ages of 5 and 14.

_ The risk of suicide increases, particularly in adolescent boys, if the person has a conduct disorder or substance abuse problem in addition to depression.

Up to 15% of those who are clinically depressed die by suicide.
In 1997, suicide was the 8th leading cause of death in the United States. 10.6 out of every 100,000 persons died by suicide. The total number of suicides was approximately 30,535.
In 1996 there were an estimated 500,000 suicide attempts.

so yeah, depression...virtually harmless!!!

them's a whole lotta facts. those guys should check out Goldie Lookin' Chain...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom