@ Anti-Thatcherites

j funk

.co.uk
Inequality at the highest for 30 years. Who did you vote for again?

I was 16 when she got in...... to young to vote:thumb:
By the way, thatcher put the ''lot for women'' back much further than anyother PM. Why do you think Spitting Image portrayed her as a bloke?

Jukebox Jury

Not when Blair got in you weren't.

Are you a woman?

Who says inequality is at it's highest?

I'm not picking a fight, I just wondered whose figures you are using.

There's no simple picture when it comes to measuring success in terms of reducing inequality - there have been some great successes under Labour such as the biggest drop in child poverty and pensioner poverty (mainly due to tax credits), all three and four year olds get nursery schooling, SureStart is improving child development and parenting, everyone's health has got better, young people's welfare has got better (since the 2001 data used in the Unicef report that put the UK at the bottom) - but having said all that, the wealth gap between the richest and the poorest has risen and is one of the worst in Europe
[sources for the above - Joseph Rowntree Foundation '100 years of poverty and policy' http://www.jrf.org.uk/publications/one-hundred-years-poverty-and-policy and Opportunity for All http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/policy-publications/opportunity-for-all/ ]​

There's plenty of academics and economists that show that, if the conservative policies of the 80s and 90s were to have continued that the poverty gap would have been far higher [Actual and simulated Gini coefficients http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/05ebn9.pdf] So, let's be thankful for that.

I suppose that, if you are interested in these things, it is far better to have a government that is committed to reducing inequality than to have a government that could give a stuff about it. Thatcher couldn't care less about inequality and poverty and her commitment to trickled down as a philosophy was shameful. I remember Spitting Image the week that she was ousted - a montage of all her best bits, to the soundtrack of "Walk on by".

Equally, Peter Mandleson saying that Labour were "Intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich" - was a low point, and one that I suspect even he regretted.

I've always voted Labour - used to be a member and an activist up until 1997 - it kind of felt odd to be active in the party of government when I'd spent so much time campaigning against the government (previous lot) so I left and got on with my life. I'm disappointed by a lot of the things that Labour have done since 1997 (war, rise in fear of terror and fear of difference, ignoring the rise of the BNP) but there is also loads to be grateful for (minimum wage, surestart, investment in NHS and Education infrastructure...).

I know where I'll be placing my cross come the election.

Dave

There's nothing new there. I'd assumed that your post had been prompted by something released today.

What is reassuring is the the Labour government admit that the figures are disappointing whereas the Tories never used to acknowledge the figures - going back to the figures that show that absolute poverty has been reducing since the late 1970s - completely ignoring that relative poverty was an issue.

For a grown up analysis try John Hills report from Feb this year http://www.jrf.org.uk/publications/poverty-inequality-and-policy-1997
In several key respects the UK has become a somewhat more equal society than it was in 1997, but the judgement depends on which inequalities are being examined, between whom, and over which time period. Where significant policy initiatives were taken, the outcomes generally moved in a positive direction. It is not the case that nothing was tried or nothing worked. Rather, many things were tried, and most worked.

The Tories didn't try. Nuff said.

Dave

Were they the only 2 members who weren't liberals or trying to fit in to Morrissey's working class hero mould?

Were they the only 2 members who weren't liberals or trying to fit in to Morrissey's working class hero mould?

I'm a liberal which is why i would never vote labour.
That said, Jacqui Smith is gone, I like Alan Johnson alot. ID cards are dead & they've renationalised some of the trains.
So all hope for them is not gone yet.

I think you need to stop using the word liberal because it doesn't mean anything and confuses everything. For example, Thatcher was economically liberal..

There must be something strange in the air. First I said I might consider voting Labour & now I agree with something Munchybrain says. WEIRD!

Back
Top Bottom