Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in “Classically Smiths” Concerts - Pitchfork

The plot thickens. Is Andy in or out? This just posted on Pitchfork

Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in “Classically Smiths” Concerts - Pitchfork
Rep claims promoter fabricated quote from Rourke in press release

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.17.00 AM.png

The Smiths' Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in Orchestral Concerts - Rolling Stone. Link posted by Famous when dead
"At no time did I give my consent for anyone in connection with this Classically Smiths project to act on my behalf," bassist says

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll echo other posters' assumptions that Rourke knows if he did this it would kill any chance of a reunion with M and M.

That's not going to be a factor in anyone's thinking. There's as much chance of a Smiths reunion (of any sort) as a Bee Gees reunion.

IMO, the simplest interpretation of this is that Andy was pretty much committed to the classical Smiths thing, but not unreasonably expected a pause in moving things forward given that the main thing on his mind at the moment is a funeral. It's understandable for him to be pissed off that Mike and the promoter have just ploughed on regardless.

That's not going to be a factor in anyone's thinking. There's as much chance of a Smiths reunion (of any sort) as a Bee Gees reunion.

IMO, the simplest interpretation of this is that Andy was pretty much committed to the classical Smiths thing, but not unreasonably expected a pause in moving things forward given that the main thing on his mind at the moment is a funeral. It's understandable for him to be pissed off that Mike and the promoter have just ploughed on regardless.

I quite liked the Bee Gees reunion! In fact, here is a song for Mike:

Very odd. My first thought too was that he's backed out to keep alive any chance of him appearing in a proper Smiths reunion. But who knows.

For what it's worth, I used to be dead against a reunion. But I've definitely came around to the idea of one. I wouldn't name it The Smiths though. They could call it 'Marr and Morrissey', for example, like Page and Plant did. It's only a name, but I think that would reduce fears of tarnishing any legacies. If done right, it would be great. Johnny's band is fantastic and combined with Morrissey's voice, which still sounds amazing, it would make for some memorable gigs. Not sure about new material, mind you. But whenever I listen to live Smiths songs by either Morrissey or Johnny, the music is clearly missing the other, no matter how much they both wouldn't want to admit it.

I think the time is almost right for it. Still don't think it will happen though.

There seem to be several possibilities;

Andy is holding out for something better... e.g. a full on reunion sans Mike obviously that this would knacker
Andy got a pay off from The Smiths main players not to do this
Andy got pissed off because a gun was jumped
Andy was never really up for it

Time for Mike to say his Twitter was hacked and forget the whole thing.

Meanwhile Morrissey is having a great day.

I would bet that the gun was jumped. There's a lot of planning to this sort of thing that would have had to get back to him at some level. I can't imagine anyone paying him not to participate. There's no reason to

Very odd. My first thought too was that he's backed out to keep alive any chance of him appearing in a proper Smiths reunion. But who knows.

For what it's worth, I used to be dead against a reunion. But I've definitely came around to the idea of one. I wouldn't name it The Smiths though. They could call it 'Marr and Morrissey', for example, like Page and Plant did. It's only a name, but I think that would reduce fears of tarnishing any legacies. If done right, it would be great. Johnny's band is fantastic and combined with Morrissey's voice, which still sounds amazing, it would make for some memorable gigs. Not sure about new material, mind you. But whenever I listen to live Smiths songs by either Morrissey or Johnny, the music is clearly missing the other, no matter how much they both wouldn't want to admit it.

I think the time is almost right for it. Still don't think it will happen though.
Agree with you and with the final paragraph. Somehow it does feel like the right time. But the odds of it happening are slim. I mean everthing would have to line up and even then there's a good chance Moz would just not bother turning up. I can't see Johnny allowing himself to be embarrassed like that. I think the first step would more likely be one of them guesting on the other's album.
Paul Weller did that with Bruce Foxton on 'Wake up the nation' but that didn't lead to further collaboration as far as I know :squiffy:

There seem to be several possibilities;

Andy is holding out for something better... e.g. a full on reunion sans Mike obviously that this would knacker
Andy got a pay off from The Smiths main players not to do this
Andy got pissed off because a gun was jumped
Andy was never really up for it
For a guy wrapped up in a straight jacket in a mental institution run by degenerates you surely make sense.

I would give almost anything to see Morrissey, Marr, and Rourke together again. I wish they would make it happen. I couldn't care less about Joyce and Gannon, though.
If they did you'd be lucky to get a ticket cos it would be full of wanks standing up the front talking and tweeting about where they are, and other wanks who hate everthing Moz has done since The Smiths.
The former wanks could then be seen at the next Elton John or Billy Joel or Ed Sheeran gigs because its all about 'the event' and telling people about it.

Of course maybe Mike just had one of his legendary 'memory lapses' and couldn't remember who had agreed to what. At some point somebody mentioned '10 percent' and Mike promptly blacked out :lbf:

Did Joyce and Gannon try to split profits 40/40/20 in their favour?

After the press release and all that stuff you’d think it was a goer. Reading Andy’s quote, it now reads like it’s a complete fabrication.

Reminds me of Bo’ Selecta’s fictional Mel B character, eternally trying to get t’band back together.

dudes the explanation is very simple: either he didnt get paid or the check bounced.

"andys "teman"=his own self lol

MIKE JOYCE LOSES ... AGAIN.

:laughing:

SORRY MIKE, ANDY DOESN'T WANNA TAKE PART IN YOUR CASH GRAB SHENANIGANS !

:tiphat:

Tags
classically smiths
Back
Top Bottom