Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in “Classically Smiths” Concerts - Pitchfork

The plot thickens. Is Andy in or out? This just posted on Pitchfork

Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in “Classically Smiths” Concerts - Pitchfork
Rep claims promoter fabricated quote from Rourke in press release

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.17.00 AM.png

The Smiths' Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in Orchestral Concerts - Rolling Stone. Link posted by Famous when dead
"At no time did I give my consent for anyone in connection with this Classically Smiths project to act on my behalf," bassist says

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
pay day for rourke

I would give almost anything to see Morrissey, Marr, and Rourke together again. I wish they would make it happen. I couldn't care less about Joyce and Gannon, though.

I'll echo other posters' assumptions that Rourke knows if he did this it would kill any chance of a reunion with M and M. I find it very hard to believe he was oblivious to this project; to me it's much more likely that once Johnny got wind of it he talked some sense into him; possibly dangled a reunion carrot, who knows.

Morrissey's never shit talked Andy, right, only Joyce? In fact wasn't there a semi-nostalgic comment he made about Andy's playing not TOO far back?

I'll echo other posters' assumptions that Rourke knows if he did this it would kill any chance of a reunion with M and M. I find it very hard to believe he was oblivious to this project; to me it's much more likely that once Johnny got wind of it he talked some sense into him; possibly dangled a reunion carrot, who knows.

Morrissey's never shit talked Andy, right, only Joyce? In fact wasn't there a semi-nostalgic comment he made about Andy's playing not TOO far back?

In interviews that you gave during your early days with The Smiths, you expressed an understanding that what you were doing was really important. Looking back, did you fully realize just how important and what kind of historical impact The Smiths and your career would actually have?

Bobby
Tiburon, California, USA

No. When we first went to Los Angeles we played two nights at the Palladium, and it surprised me that we were so popular. There was never a sense of how big we were in other countries because Rough Trade were not global in their outlook. I was the most shy and retiring member of the Smiths but suddenly all of the press wanted to talk to me.
Whatever I said about the Smiths' abilities I meant. I very genuinely thought the music was Art, and I felt awed by it, and all of the groups of the day I saw as not-art. I thought Johnny was the greatest .... and also .... those masterful bass-lines ...

Andy didn't sue, he settled, so Moz having a grudge would be too much IMO.

Anyway, Andy didn't deny KNOWING. He's maybe not oblivious. But he's squashed it.

I think Joyce maybe got carried away.

Well, at least it means Andy is not working with Joyce for those of us who want him to play with Moz and or Marr.

Well, they are called 'Bad Productions', so this crapfest of mismanagement certainly seems like they are living up to their name. If Andy had been involved as well, it might have been enough that I'd have been interested - but just Gannon and Joyce is too thin a draw. Those venues are huge as well - I can't see them selling that many tickets - so I'm expecting this whole venture to collapse very shortly.

Still not a no...interesting. As if the last sentence was left off. "And I will not be participating in this act." Room for negotiation?
I don't think so. I imagine this would make anyone feel sour, especially given the timing re: grieving.

Wow. That's pretty definitive. So what are we to believe? That Andy is lying and had in fact given Mike the thumbs up? Or that Mike and co blundered ahead without even bothering to check if Andy was on board? Neither situation seems believable but the latter seems even harder to credit, given they were booking venues and alerting the press.

Still not a no...interesting. As if the last sentence was left off. "And I will not be participating in this act." Room for negotiation?

How is "I will not be participating" anything but crystal clear?

Well, whoever is behind posting the allegedly FAKE quotes should be ashamed.

(Andy Rourke said: “To have been there the first time round and seen it first hand, and to still be such a big fan of The Smiths today, I am both thrilled and excited to be involved in Classically Smiths.

"I’m really proud of the band’s work, and being able to present those songs again in this particular production format promises to be a real gift for audiences everywhere.”).

Yes, media...fake news... etc..., but I don't particularly associate it with announcements about gigs - the MEN are normally quite accurate.
So, the Rourke isn't on board 'mistake' post is actually closer to the truth perhaps?
Oh well, onwards and downwards...
FWD.

In interviews that you gave during your early days with The Smiths, you expressed an understanding that what you were doing was really important. Looking back, did you fully realize just how important and what kind of historical impact The Smiths and your career would actually have?

Bobby
Tiburon, California, USA

No. When we first went to Los Angeles we played two nights at the Palladium, and it surprised me that we were so popular. There was never a sense of how big we were in other countries because Rough Trade were not global in their outlook. I was the most shy and retiring member of the Smiths but suddenly all of the press wanted to talk to me.
Whatever I said about the Smiths' abilities I meant. I very genuinely thought the music was Art, and I felt awed by it, and all of the groups of the day I saw as not-art. I thought Johnny was the greatest .... and also .... those masterful bass-lines ...

Yep. That's the one I was thinking of.

The first solo years of Morrissey (Viva Hate, the following singles, Bona Drag and specially Hulmerist!) were somehow devoted to delivering a clear message: "The Smiths is me"... He played that game and he won (and I am glad that he did).

Why the hell would he want to destroy what he has achieved??? A Smiths comeback would be one of the worst mistakes he can make... Even if he was in good terms with Marr, Joyce and Rourke.

(Which one is the message behind these scenes in Hulmerist?).

I was as surprised as others to hear about this , I never thought Andy would "upset "Morrissey with this attempt because in my mind I have always kept the faith and the corny illusion that Moz cares about Andy and that one day they'll meet and smile to eachother to say the least.
Also in my mind: I think Andy would like to work with Moz.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom