Andrew Loog Oldham podcast with Johnny Marr

Ayyy called Charly!!! . Charly García is one of the best rock musicians in Argentina, in my country, and also Luis A Spinetta and the great Gustavo Cerati I love them!!! Can anyone tell me what they said about Charly? Thank you

Right now we are signing in Argentina and Latin America and in Spain for Gustavo Cerati's soda Stereo group to enter the rock and fame hall, this is being organized by a Spanish musician who loves Soda Stereo and its singer Gustavo Cerati, Gustavo died at 50 and a few years very young and left us a great legacy also for his solo work I love Gustavo Cerati!!! Viva Moz and Gustavo, Gustavo loved Morrissey !!!!! SodastereoRockhalloficial.com

It is fair that there are other talents, and that they are not all English speaking, I know that they do not care, or a few, but I still wanted to share this. Wherever this Viva MOZ!!!!

Not related to this interview, but Marr recently called Isaac Brock the best lyricist he’s ever worked with. https://consequence.net/2021/10/joh...95175&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

I usually stand behind Johnny, I think he’s a great guy, but this is just revolting. I like Modest Mouse (at least I did, back when I regularly listened to indie rock), but claiming that his abstract and drugged out ramblings are better than M’s lyrics is just ignorant.
He's said similar before. I will never understand why Johnny spends so much time stroking the egos of people who, at the end of the day, used him and most likely wouldn't give a damn if he dropped dead tomorrow. Propping themselves up with his legacy, calling in a star guitar, that's all most of them were doing.

It's almost like Johnny is so, so eager to be everyone's best mate, he can't see it. Praising people who aren't bothered (didn't Brock once say the Smiths had a "shit aesthetic"?) and snarking about people who love him. Nobody buys a word.

Last edited:
Not related to this interview, but Marr recently called Isaac Brock the best lyricist he’s ever worked with. https://consequence.net/2021/10/joh...95175&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

I usually stand behind Johnny, I think he’s a great guy, but this is just revolting. I like Modest Mouse (at least I did, back when I regularly listened to indie rock), but claiming that his abstract and drugged out ramblings are better than M’s lyrics is just ignorant.
Yeah. “No bus. No boss. No planes. No trains…”

Brilliant.

Fak Arf

He's said similar before. I will never understand why Johnny spends so much time stroking the egos of people who, at the end of the day, used him and most likely wouldn't give a damn if he dropped dead tomorrow. Propping themselves up with his legacy, calling in a star guitar, that's all most of them were doing.

It's almost like Johnny is so, so eager to be everyone's best mate, he can't see it. Praising people who aren't bothered (didn't Brock once say the Smiths had a "shit aesthetic"?) and snarking about people who love him. Nobody buys a word.
Brock just recently said he’d love to work with Johnny in Modest Mouse again, so I’m not sure what you’re on about here. …and - if you listen to Isaac’s lyrics carefully, you might find that there’s a brilliance to them. He’s a master of metaphor and subtext.

It’s ok to like a variety of music. …and it’s also ok to dislike, without insulting the artist. Musicians give their heart and soul to their work. They lay themselves bare, foe all to see. …and then a bunch of punch-down twats on the internet - who don’t get it - resort to ignorant personal insults about hair and lifestyles. *Not directed at you.

It’s gross.

Ayyy called Charly!!! . Charly García is one of the best rock musicians in Argentina, in my country, and also Luis A Spinetta and the great Gustavo Cerati I love them!!! Can anyone tell me what they said about Charly? Thank you

The host instroduces himself by mentioning two "geniuses" with whom he worked at the studio: Frank Sinatra and Charly García; with Charly during the 90's.
And then he describes Charly García as a musical genius, but with a very complicated personality or very complicated habits like completely destroying hotel rooms during tours.

For those who don't know him: he is some sort of Latin American version of Frank Zappa.... I truly dislike his music and I can't stand him, but I can't deny that he is indeed a musical genius (say, a virtuoso and probably one of the best rock musicians in the whole world when it comes to technique -even if I don't like at all what he does with his otherwise perfect technique.... a guy like Jaco Pastorius or Santana or Robert Fripp.... you may like them or not, but it's impossible to say "he is not a good musician", even if what they do is not interesting at all for you).

And during the 90's there was more cocaine than blood in his veins, so the host is giving a quite accurate description, he was a true mess... and would often completely destroy the hotel rooms during tours, throw the furniture from the window or even jump to the swimming pool from the 9th floor of a hotel room (and miraculously he got out of the swimming pool as if he had simply jumped from the edge of the pool).

I was surprised too, because it's actually quite weird that he gets so focused in Charly Garcia during the first minutes of an interview to someone who is completely unrelated to Charly and probably doesn't even know him at all (I mean Marr).

The host instroduces himself by mentioning two "geniuses" with whom he worked at the studio: Frank Sinatra and Charly García; with Charly during the 90's.
And then he describes Charly García as a musical genius, but with a very complicated personality or very complicated habits like completely destroying hotel rooms during tours.

For those who don't know him: he is some sort of Latin American version of Frank Zappa.... I truly dislike his music and I can't stand him, but I can't deny that he is indeed a musical genius (say, a virtuoso and probably one of the best rock musicians in the whole world when it comes to technique -even if I don't like at all what he does with his otherwise perfect technique.... a guy like Jaco Pastorius or Santana or Robert Fripp.... you may like them or not, but it's impossible to say "he is not a good musician", even if what they do is not interesting at all for you).

And during the 90's there was more cocaine than blood in his veins, so the host is giving a quite accurate description, he was a true mess... and would often completely destroy the hotel rooms during tours, throw the furniture from the window or even jump to the swimming pool from the 9th floor of a hotel room (and miraculously he got out of the swimming pool as if he had simply jumped from the edge of the pool).

I was surprised too, because it's actually quite weird that he gets so focused in Charly Garcia during the first minutes of an interview to someone who is completely unrelated to Charly and probably doesn't even know him at all (I mean Marr).
Excellent post. Spot on.

Brock just recently said he’d love to work with Johnny in Modest Mouse again, so I’m not sure what you’re on about here. …and - if you listen to Isaac’s lyrics carefully, you might find that there’s a brilliance to them. He’s a master of metaphor and subtext.

It’s ok to like a variety of music. …and it’s also ok to dislike, without insulting the artist. Musicians give their heart and soul to their work. They lay themselves bare, foe all to see. …and then a bunch of punch-down twats on the internet - who don’t get it - resort to ignorant personal insults about hair and lifestyles. *Not directed at you.

It’s gross.
I've nothing against Modest Mouse, or Johnny's other projects - they effectively brought him out of oblivion at that time and he's probably grateful. I just think JM loses sight of where his bread is buttered. Ultimately, he won't be remembered for sessioning, or for being a bit-part of someone else's band or for hanging around with the mediocre Jarman brothers, etc, etc. Yet he blows smoke up their arse(s) all the time - and I just think, why?

Last edited:

Gracias Oh!!!! Si Charly es literalmente un paciente psiquiatrico con el componente de adiccion a las drogas y eso lo transforma en un coctel explosivo,ahora esta bastante bien medicado pero este tipo de gente va y viene en cualquier momento se puede descompensar y asi sucesivamente a mi me gustan algunas cosas como solista no soy lo que se dice fan pero hay cosas que si me gustan.Gracias otra vez compatripta Oh!!!

If it's as OH MY says. To this I add that Charly Garcia is literally a psychiatric patient, who in addition to his mental pathology, suffers from drug addiction, which makes the image of this patient explosive. Today it is compensated with an arsenal of psychotropic drugs, but as with this type of patient you never know when you can decompensate psychiatrically speaking

Eh publish I made two publications the first in Spanish because it is for Oh My and the second in English

I've nothing against Modest Mouse, or Johnny's other projects - they effectively brought him out of oblivion at that time and he's probably grateful. I just think JM loses sight of where his bread is buttered. Ultimately, he won't be remembered for sessioning, or for being a bit-part of someone else's band or for hanging around with the mediocre Jarman brothers, etc, etc. Yet he blows smoke up their arse(s) all the time - and I just think, why?

It's called friendship.

I think they genuinely get along - as human beings, make a amazing music together and don’t take themselves too seriously. Would there be a crime in that?

It's called friendship.
Definitely with people like Matt Johnson, yeah, but a lot of the other stuff looks like opportunism. Jumping from one mediocre band/project to another, scrapping them all to go solo & then pretending these also-rans are the most impressive guys he's ever worked with? Pure crap. He was a guitar for hire.

Definitely with people like Matt Johnson, yeah, but a lot of the other stuff looks like opportunism. Jumping from one mediocre band/project to another, scrapping them all to go solo & then pretending these also-rans are the most impressive guys he's ever worked with? Pure crap. He was a guitar for hire.
A tad harsh, I think.

We all have a means of getting through the day - a vocation, a job. Musicians require us to part with our money for their product. That's how it's always been. If it gets him through the years with a sense of fulfillment, then I think that's fair enough

A tad harsh, I think.

We all have a means of getting through the day - a vocation, a job. Musicians require us to part with our money for their product. That's how it's always been. If it gets him through the years with a sense of fulfillment, then I think that's fair enough
Remember this next time you imply Morrissey is some kind of gold digger.

Not much going on in part 2

But hearing Johnny talk about his parents music appreciation coming from Irish folk, makes me wish Johnny would dig deep and write some beautiful acoustic songs for Morrissey to sing to.

oh well.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom