An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

R.E.M.
October 2, 1986
EMU Ballroom
University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon

WG Master Recording / JEMS 2020 transfer + remaster

Recording gear: 929 stereo mic > Sony D-6

JEMS 2020 Transfer: WG Maxell XL-II S master cassettes > Nakamichi CR-7A azimuth-adjusted playback > Sound Devices USBPre2 > Audacity 2.4.2 (24/96 capture to .wav) > iZotope RX and Ozone > 16/44 resample FLAC > tracking and finishing with Audacity and TLH

Musicians:

Bill Berry (drums, vocals)
Peter Buck (guitar)
Mike Mills (bass, vocals)
Michael Stipe (lead vocals, harmonica)

With Buren Fowler (guitar)

01_These Days
02_Harborcoat
03_Pilgrimage
04_The One I Love
05_Shaking Through
06_Feeling Gravity’s Pull
07_Driver 8
08_Underneath the Bunker
09_The Flowers of Guatemala
10_I Believe
11_Swan Swan H
12_Superman
13_Can't Get There From Here
14_Old Man Kensey
15_Pretty Persuasion
16_Auctioneer (Another Engine)
17_Little America
18_Second Guessing
19_Fall on Me
20_Paint It Black
21_Sweet Jane
22_Strange
23_Harpers
24_Begin the Begin
25_Cuyahoga
26_Toys in the Attic
27_Funtime

By dint of organic growth and a more accessible sound, 1986 found R.E.M. gaining in popularity. Just a year before, I saw them at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley; now, in a stroke of luck, they played in a university ballroom that held perhaps a tenth as many people. I was there, and I should have taped it. Our longtime ally WG was there too, and he did.

This file set features a fresh, azimuth-adjusted playback and transfer of his master tapes. With a new sonic once-over, this version serves as a material upgrade. Save for bits missing from two songs (“These Days,” “I Believe”) and another (“Second Guessing”) marred due to tape misalignment, the capture is terrific.

Like other '86 recordings, October 2 is a helping of high-grade, mission-critical stuff. It was a great rock show, with an edgy vibe that occasionally felt spooky. A couple of times, it felt dangerous: I've never seen a performer put himself out there the way Michael Stipe did in Eugene.

At the first chorus of “The One I Love” — in 1986, more of a deep-seated, primal exhortation than the single-word refrain to a Top 10 single, as it would be just a year later — Stipe grabbed the mic stand and thrashed: in that instant, I thought that he'd been electrocuted. It was a jolt that ran through the set and a moment that haunts me today. In the R.E.M. shows I saw after Eugene, nothing like that ever recurred. (Stipe alluded to some of this the next night, aware that he may have frightened people in Eugene.)

Over the years, I've been wary about listening to this: it's a fine document, but could anything recreate this gig the way I remember it? What I hear now is an instance of a young band playing exceptionally well. The can't-miss setlist — most of Lifes Rich Pageant, and a trove of covers that was as realized as it was imaginative — is part of the story, too. The band is in great form, and despite their repeated requests for everyone to move back, good humor abounds.

No complete Pageantry tour soundboard recording has ever circulated, and I’d wager that no ’86 date was professionally recorded to multi-track. Like Bruce Springsteen’s 1977 tour, terrific audience recordings are the rule, and from places one might not expect. Whatever search happened at the EMU was likely for something other than taping equipment.

Needless to say, I regret not taping this show. AMorg and I stood fairly close to the stage; though jostling persisted throughout, the setting was suitably dark and the floor was spacious enough (there were no seats) to remain in line with the PA.

BK provides WG’s recording — a solid one in the first place — with a very nice enhancement. (BK ran point on JEMS masters in ’86 for R.E.M. shows in Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, BC; Jared did the honors in Santa Barbara and Oakland — collect ’em all!)

If I could pick a point in time for the musical wayback machine to transport me, right up there with The Who in 1970, The Grateful Dead in 1977, and Bruce Springsteen in Los Angeles in 1981, I’d strongly consider October 2, 1986. With a recorder (and a camera). But of course, I was there already.

Thanks again to WG and BK.

Share it freely, and for free!

- slipkid68

Hi could you please reup the link? I want to upload this show to archive.org. Thank you for your work.

Hi guys,

There's a fantastic radio broadcast quality show from Oslo in 2003 that has been doing the rounds in mp3 format but i've been unable to locate a lossless version. Can anyone help? The show is; R.E.M. Fabrikken, Oslo, Norway 2003-10-25

I'm also after a lossless copy of the Madison Square Garden show from 2003-10-04 and Prague 2008-08-17 (I have both in mp3 format but not lossless for some reason, so I know copies exist out there somewhere).

Many thanks guys!
Mark.
Can you please post the MP3 of Oslo 2003? Thanks.

people would have this show of R.E.M
Providence RI,13/10/1983

this show appeared on dimeadozen, but they blocked me to download new files ...
I found it easy to grab from traders den:

[QUOTE = "driver8, post: 1987328310, membro: 29648"]
Achei fácil pegar da cova dos comerciantes:
[URL unfurl = "true"] http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165692 [/ URL]
[/ CITAR]

Muito graças !!!!!!

acredita que já tinha procurado aquele arquivo naquele mesmo site antes e não tinha encontrado .... agora tão feliz !!! Detalhe desse show que na REM Timeline nem havia o set list completo desse show, para mim foi uma surpresa sabre que havia uma gravação desse show

He says thanks, he had looked it up on the Trader's Den and couldn't find it, but now he's so happy about it. Mentions that the R.E.M. Timeline didn't have the whole setlist at first.

Hiovale, oi! Eu tb sou brasileiro (acho que somos os únicos aqui), mas o pessoal aqui não entende português. Vc entende bem como funcionam esses sites de torrent? Vc baixa o show, mas tem de continuar sendo "seed" dele até conseguir uma taxa de 1.1, o que muitas vezes é bem difícil. Pode ser por isso que te bloquearam. Vc precisa sempre manter uma taxa de troca alta, que é pra manter a comunidade de trocas funcionando.

As you will realise the notes are NOT mine.

R.E.M.
"Vote For Change" concert
Gund Arena
Cleveland, Ohio
October 2, 2004

"Laying the Sidewalks"

Lineage:
Source 1: Sonic Studios DSM-6 => Sony M-1 DAT => Stand-alone Pioneer CD Burner => Magix Audio Cleaning Lab => WAV => FLAC Front-End (level 8)
Source 2: Unknown IEM => ?

(1) Bruce Springsteen introduction (0:36)
(2) The One I Love (3:23)
(3) Animal (4:26)
(4) Leaving New York (6:56)
(5) Life and How To Live It (7:16)
(6) Cuyahoga (7:28)
(7) The Final Straw (4:38)
(8) Imitation Of Life (5:15)
(9) I Wanted To Be Wrong (5:42)
(10) Losing My Religion (4:49)
(11) Walk Unafraid (4:41)
(12) Bruce Springsteen Introduction (0:44)
(13) Bad Day (4:49) *
(14) Man on the Moon (6:12) *

* w/Bruce Springsteen (vocals, guitar)

Total time: 67:01

Fingerprint file and artwork are included.

Comments: This was the second date of the two-week "Vote For Change" tour with Bright Eyes, R.E.M., and Bruce Springsteen barnstorming states considered "up for grabs" in the 2004 general election. This was also R.E.M.'s second date after a relatively long layoff, so the band is both very nervous and very excited. Stipe's song intros are jittery and a little longer than usual on this night. A very high-energy and fun set.

This one has a special place in my heart because I sourced the audience portion in a separate seed on easytree (the predecessor to Dimeadozen). The addition of the IEM channel lends more immediacy to the vocals and makes this sound more like a true board. I had nothing to do with the matrix (wish I did; it's a good job) but thought since it had been a year, and there are no doubt several thousand new members on DaD since the original post, it would be a good time to put it up again.

Other than an addition of a fingerprint file and these notes, this is exactly as the original torrent appeared in October 2004. Thanks to whoever ("Conan"?) put the time and effort into the matrix.

R.E.M.
1985-10-27
The Powerhouse
Birmingham, U.K.
DAT Clone of Analog Master
JEMS Archive

Recording Gear: Unknown microphone and unknown cassette recorder

JEMS 2020 Transfer: ME’s Master cassette > analog master clone DAT > Tascam DA-302 DAT > Sound Devices USBPre2 > Audacity > iZotope RX8 and Ozone 8 > tracking and finishing via Audacity 2.4.2 and TLH

1. Intro
2. Feeling Gravity’s Pull
3. Harborcoat
4. Laughing
5. Green Grow The Rushes
6. Pilgrimage
7. Driver 8
8. Fall On Me
9. Sitting Still
10. Good Advices
11. So. Central Rain
12. White Tornado
13. For the Love of Money
14. Have You Ever Seen the Rain
15. Auctioneer (Another Engine)
16. Just a Touch
17. Old Man Kensey
18. Pretty Persuasion
19. John the Revelator
20. Life and How to Live It
21. Toys in the Attic (joined in progress)
22. Can't Get There From Here
23. 20th Century Boy
24. Broken Whiskey Glass
25. See No Evil
26. Tired of Singing Trouble
27. I Can't Control Myself
28. Little America

Here’s a terrific master recording from the third leg of the 1985 R.E.M. tour. Back then, my friends at JEMS traded with people all over the world. Much of that activity centered around Bruce Springsteen recordings, but we kept an eye open for fellow travelers who taped other bands we liked just as much. That’s how this recording landed in the archive sometime in the mid ’90s from ME, who ran deep in Springsteen and recorded a number of R.E.M. shows circa 1984-’95.

As far as touring went, 1985 found R.E.M. in beast mode: October marked the end of Reconstruction II, which included the band's second UK visit that year. They played another month-and-a-half in the U.S., then returned home to Athens, Georgia, where all they had to do is dream.

To that end, they already had future fourth album highlight “Fall On Me” pretty much nailed down: here, its melody, tempo, and even Mike Mills’ harmony vocals sound ready to go. Michael Stipe hadn’t finished the lyrics, but that didn’t deter the band: the song had been a consistent presence since its August 1 debut in Austin, Texas. “Just a Touch” appears, too, along with eight songs from Fables.

And if it’s covers you’re after, while The Powerhouse doesn’t match the standard set by the famous Barrymore’s show, its setlist features an impressive range: Creedence’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain,” the gospel standard “John the Revelator,” Aerosmith’s “Toys in the Attic,” T. Rex’s “20th Century Boy,” Television’s “See No Evil” and The Troggs’ “I Can’t Control Myself.” Listen for a few bars of The O-Jays’ “For the Love of Money,” and “Broken Whiskey Glass” too — that’s a track from Jason and the Scorchers’ 1985 LP "Lost & Found." Sounds like fun!

BK sent this my way: we’ve discussed R.E.M. recordings a bit more of late, a conversation which began the year this tape got recorded. Coincidentally, Jared and our pal AMorg traveled from the States to the UK to catch R.E.M. at the Hammersmith Palais (and Pete Townshend at Brixton Academy), shows that commenced two days after this gig. Jared’s Hammersmith recordings circulate; soon, we'll take a fresh listen to those and others ripe for upgrades and renewed appreciation.

For now, enjoy another great gig from Reconstruction II. Thanks to the original taper (Mr. Eagles?).

Share it freely, and for free!

- slipkid68

He says thanks, he had looked it up on the Trader's Den and couldn't find it, but now he's so happy about it. Mentions that the R.E.M. Timeline didn't have the whole setlist at first.

Hiovale, oi! Eu tb sou brasileiro (acho que somos os únicos aqui), mas o pessoal aqui não entende português. Vc entende bem como funcionam esses sites de torrent? Vc baixa o show, mas tem de continuar sendo "seed" dele até conseguir uma taxa de 1.1, o que muitas vezes é bem difícil. Pode ser por isso que te bloquearam. Vc precisa sempre manter uma taxa de troca alta, que é pra manter a comunidade de trocas funcionando.

Opa pode crer...então cara a mensagem era pra ter ido em inglês mesmo,mas não sei que raios deu no tradutor automatico que era pra ter sido em ingles,mas foi em portugues e só agora que percebi....sobre o Dimeadozen foi essa a causa sim eu tinha uns arquivo ainda no torrent que eu baixei de lá mas cometi a burrice de apaga-los do Utorrent,a surpresa foi quando fui baixar o arquivo o download simplesmente não iniciava e fui em outros clientes dava violação de ratio e fui estudando mais a fundo descobri que foi essa causa,meu ratio tava apenas 0,1 no dimeadozen e sendo assim acabei sendo bloqueado pra novos downloads...uma pena pq achei diversos bootlegs que a muitos anos procurava...

R.E.M. - 1983-10-13 - The Living Room, Providence, RI

dude this page is very good, it had several bootlegs on them that for years I was looking for ... thank you so much for sharing this with us

dude this page is very good, it had several bootlegs on them that for years I was looking for ... thank you so much for sharing this with us
Of course! If you have any problems with the download or any of the shows like MD5 checksums failing or anything missing. I will be glad to reup the files.

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom