Adopted boy sent home from US alone

I am a Ghost

Friday April 09 2010

Russia's foreign minister has called for child adoptions to the US to be frozen after an American woman put an eight-year-old Russian boy she had adopted on a one-way flight back to Moscow unaccompanied.

Artyom Savelyev, who carried the adoptive name Justin Hansen, got off a flight from Washington on Thursday at a Moscow airport, the Kremlin children's rights office said.

The office said he was carrying a letter from his adoptive parent, Torry Hansen of Shelbyville, Tennessee, saying she was returning him due to severe psychological problems.

"This child is mentally unstable. He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues," the letter said, according to Russian officials.

The US ambassador to Russia, John Beyrle, said he was "deeply shocked by the news" and "very angry that any family would act so callously toward a child that they had legally adopted".

Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying the ministry would recommend the US and Russia hammer out an agreement before any new adoptions are allowed.

"We have taken the decision... to suggest a freeze on any adoptions to American families until Russia and the USA sign an international agreement" on the conditions for adoptions and the obligations of host families, Lavrov was quoted as saying.

Mr Lavrov said the US had refused to negotiate such an accord in the past but "the recent event was the last straw".

The US grandmother of the adopted boy said the child was violent and angry with his mother in America.

Speaking from her home in Shelbyville, Nancy Hansen said her family paid a man 200 US dollars (£130) to pick the boy up at the airport and take him to the Russian education and science ministry. She said the boy was sent back to the ministry because the family thought officials there could take care of him. She says it was not child abandonment because a stewardess was watching the boy on the flight and a reputable person picked him up in Russia.

Press Association

Friday April 09 2010

"This child is mentally unstable. He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues,"

orphan-poster.jpg

:eek:

I thought they (adoption agencies) prepared families with the knowledge that kids from Russia may have physical or mental health issues due to the terrible neglect the children have suffered. This was a national issue at least 9, 10 years ago.

I thought they (adoption agencies) prepared families with the knowledge that kids from Russia may have physical or mental health issues due to the terrible neglect the children have suffered. This was a national issue at least 9, 10 years ago.
???What?What are you talking about?What neglect?The kid was normal,this woman was a heartless idiot thats all.And how she behaved-sending poor boy alone.Heartless idiot.Hopefully they will arrest her for a child neglect.

???What?What are you talking about?What neglect?The kid was normal,this woman was a heartless idiot thats all.And how she behaved-sending poor boy alone.Heartless idiot.Hopefully they will arrest her for a child neglect.

How do you know the child was normal? Mental and emotional instability in adopted Russian children has been a documented issue for decades.

Clearly you haven't seen any of the documentaries or seen any of the news articles over the past decade describing the state of most Russian orphanages and the conditions the children are raised in. It is horrific, and I can't even imagine the emotional and mental issues some of the older kids must have.

I know a family that adopted two girls from Russia in the past, and while they were going thru the process, they were discouraged from getting an older child because they were known to be "damaged beyond repair". The adoptive family thought it was just scare tactics, but realized it was true in some cases after seeing the older kids in the orphanage.

How do you know the child was normal? Mental and emotional instability in adopted Russian children has been a documented issue for decades.
And how do you know that this child was not normal?What is not normal its the behaviour of this stupid woman.To send a kid like that...Surely she isnt normal and her behaviour isnt normal-and thats why it was in the papers.

And how do you know that this child was not normal?What is not normal its the behaviour of this stupid woman.To send a kid like that...Surely she isnt normal and her behaviour isnt normal-and thats why it was in the papers.

I agree that the woman's behavior was completely wrong. I can only imagine that she was pushed to the point where she couldn't take anymore and didn't know what else she could do.

What?Please spare me this stereotypes.Who documented it?Quotes and titles please.

It's not stereotypes and I'm certainly not saying it is all orphanages. I've seen news articles in magazines such as Time and Newsweek, and documentaries/news stories on tv programs such as 60 Minutes and on CNN.

These various articles and tv items have been over the past 5-10 years. I certainly don't have the exact dates and times. I bet if you used a search engine like Google you'd find some of them

I agree that the woman's behavior was completely wrong. I can only imagine that she was pushed to the point where she couldn't take anymore and didn't know what else she could do.
What?A 7year-old kid terrorized the whole family-yeah right.He doesnt speak english,so he probably only cried and cried,until she got bored of it and threw him away like used toy.She is mentally unstable.Child is not a toy.

It's not stereotypes and I'm certainly not saying it is all orphanages. I've seen news articles in magazines such as Time and Newsweek, and documentaries/news stories on tv programs such as 60 Minutes and on CNN.

These various articles and tv items have been over the past 5-10 years. I certainly don't have the exact dates and times. I bet if you used a search engine like Google you'd find some of them
Sorry but recently BBC used an old footage of Polish capital Warsaw,because the reporters didnt even bother to go there-so much for the facts verification.Im sure that those articles are written the same way-a compilation of some old articles+few old pics and we have a news.

Sorry but recently BBC used old footage of Polish capital Warsaw,because the reporters didnt even bother to go there-so much for the facts verification.Im sure that those articles are written the same way-a compilation of some old articles+few old pics and we have a news.

so any time any city is mentioned by any news organization they should go to that city and get fresh pictures?

has warsaw changed much since the footage they showed?

so any time any city is mentioned by any news organization they should go to that city and get fresh pictures?

has warsaw changed much since the footage they showed?
Well,considering the fact that it was footage from the 70-ties-well in 40years time the city has changed a lot.And viewers will get false image of the city,old cars,old buildings etc...

Here's a link that might explain it a little bit: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/adoptive_parenting/65513 I'm kind of shocked more people don't know about this. Maybe it's because I looked into adoption at one time, but I feel like I've known about this since I was a teen.

JoanofArc, why are you being so nasty? I don't even want to discuss this anymore if you're going to be nasty about it.

I don't understand the pugnacious attitude on Solo. Why does everything have to turn into an argument?

Blah.
*backs out of the room*

Its actually sad that everyone blames this poor boy and not this stupid heartless woman.

Well,considering the fact that it was footage from the 70-ties-well in 40years time the city has changed a lot.And viewers will get false image of the city,old cars,old buildings etc...

i don't believe this actually happened. either that or it was a story about warsaw in the 70s. maybe you just got confused.

Back
Top Bottom