A word of warmth to the line organisers at Moz gigs

I don't really get this. Why it's unfair to leave for a longer, when all the others have the opportunity to do so as well? What's the point in standing in the line when you don't have to because of the list?

This makes no sense. So you're saying that Person A who shows up at 5:00 AM, puts his name on a list, then comes back when the doors open should be in front of person B who shows up at 5:01 AM and waits in line for 14 hours?

When does the list start? Can I arrive the day before and start a list, tape it to the door, and then come back the next day? Can I start it on a Monday and come back for a Friday gig?

If that's the case, I'm officially starting the lists for all future GA shows within 500 miles of Philly. I'm at the front. All future posters to this thread are right behind me. I'll see you guys at the door in 2011.

as long as you supply us with Dunkin Donuts coffee again, I don't have a problem with it :thumb:

If that's the case, I'm officially starting the lists for all future GA shows within 500 miles of Philly. I'm at the front. All future posters to this thread are right behind me. I'll see you guys at the door in 2011.

This makes no sense. So you're saying that Person A who shows up at 5:00 AM, puts his name on a list, then comes back when the doors open should be in front of person B who shows up at 5:01 AM and waits in line for 14 hours?

When does the list start? Can I arrive the day before and start a list, tape it to the door, and then come back the next day? Can I start it on a Monday and come back for a Friday gig?

No, you don't get my point. There is no person B that HAS to stand in line for 14 hours. Everyone can use the list, and so does person B. You can arrive whenever you want, write down your name, and leave. If person B decides to stay and have a good time in the line with fellow Moz fans, that's cool.

Of course this is not how it works in real life (everyone would have to accept the list, but there always will be some who complain about it and ruin it for the rest), but this is how I understand the concept of the list. Theoretically this minimizes pre-gig stress for everyone (exept for the ones who make the list). There is just no point in that somewhat elitist approach of some die hards who think standing in line all day long makes them more awesome. My point is: If there is a list, then everyone should be able to use it to the fullest. If it's not allowed to leave the line for more than 30 minutes, then there is no need for the list anyway.

Again, I understand that this doesn't work in reality, but it's just silly to complain if someone decides to use the list.
If you decide to manage the list, alright. But people obviously won't care about it when you act like you just said you would (I know it wasn't serious). But when they see you're serious about it, people will take the list seriously, too.

Last edited:
No, you don't get my point. There is no person B that HAS to stand in line for 14 hours. Everyone can use the list, and so does person B. You can arrive whenever you want, write down your name, and leave. If person B decides to stay and have a good time in the line with fellow Moz fans, that's cool.

Of course this is not how it works in real life (everyone would have to accept the list, but there always will be some who complain about it and ruin it for the rest), but this is how I understand the concept of the list. Theoretically this minimizes pre-gig stress for everyone (exept for the ones who make the list). There is just no point in that somewhat elitist approach of some die hards who think standing in line all day long makes them more awesome. My point is: If there is a list, then everyone should be able to use it to the fullest. If it's not allowed to leave the line for more than 30 minutes, then there is no need for the list anyway.

Again, I understand that this doesn't work in reality, but it's just silly to complain if someone decides to use the list.
If you decide to manage the list, alright. But people obviously won't care about it when you act like you just said you would (I know it wasn't serious). But when they see you're serious about it, people will take the list seriously, too.

So you put your name down on "the list" and then spend all day swanning around town and then expect to come back and push in in front of people who've been queueing for hours? :crazy:

I don't think you understand the concept of queueing. If I queue up in a shop and then realise I've forgotten something and go to get it, I have to join the back of the queue again. That's how it works.

So you put your name down on "the list" and then spend all day swanning around town and then expect to come back and push in in front of people who've been queueing for hours? :crazy:

I don't think you understand the concept of queueing. If I queue up in a shop and then realise I've forgotten something and go to get it, I have to join the back of the queue again. That's how it works.

Dude, did you read what I've just written. It seems not. If there is a list, noone HAS to queue up "for hours". That's the whole point of the list.
I totally understand the concept of queueing, but it seems you don't understand the concept of the list (you just illustrated that with your shop example). With this list still everyone has the same chances, you just don't have to stand in line if you don't want to.

the imperfect list

I agree Jonesy! If you're in the queue alone and you've gotta go to the restroom or grab some quick lunch and you ask the person behind you to hold your spot down(or you put your name on the list) it should be respected. Offering to bring back snacks for them helps. But showing up, writing down yr name, then buggering off all day really isn't fair. List or no list, jumping the line in that manner is tactless and could result in you having your ass handed to you. I get to GA gigs early in the a.m. myself. I stay all day(except the aformentioned breaks) and someone who popped by @ 7am on their way to work to get on the list and comes back 15 mins before doors shouldn't be able to jump in next to me just because they're on 'the list'..
It's a somewhat relaxed variation on the old 'move your meat, lose your seat' policy. We are adults afterall..

Aren't we??

The list is a good idea but it's being misused/abused.

Also people who queue all day then let 15 of their friends ahead of them right before the gig(or any time) is bullshit as well! (Ventura '07 comes to mind)

- least likely to..

Last edited:
I totally and utterly now officialy hate this forum.

hardly anyone can be nice. hardly anyone can say nice things, and the rules and petty squablings around here frankly make me want to vomit.

this was just meant to be a nice thank you thread. feck it all. i really dont feel like ever posting here again.

Last edited:
Re: the imperfect list

I agree Jonesy! If you're in the queue alone and you've gotta go to the restroom or grab some quick lunch and you ask the person behind you to hold your spot down(or you put your name on the list) it should be respected. Offering to bring back snacks for them helps. But showing up, writing down yr name, then buggering off all day really isn't fair. List or no list, jumping the line in that manner is tactless and could result in you having your ass handed to you. I get to GA gigs early in the a.m. myself. I stay all day(except the aformentioned breaks) and someone who popped by @ 7am on their way to work to get on the list and comes back 15 mins before doors shouldn't be able to jump in next to me just because they're on 'the list'..
It's a somewhat relaxed variation on the old 'move your meat, lose your seat' policy. We are adults afterall..

Aren't we??

The list is a good idea but it's being misused/abused.

Also people who queue all day then let 15 of their friends ahead of them right before the gig(or any time) is bullshit as well! (Ventura '07 comes to mind)

- least likely to..

You mix stuff up. The list has nothing to do with breaking a line. It has nothing to do with letting your friends ahead of you. It has nothing to do with being unfair to the people standing in line for hours. Why? Because with the list noone has to stand in line if he doesn't want to. You guys always differentiate between people who are on the list and people who aren't. The idea of the list is that everyone writes down his name, so noone is treated unfair. Staying away for hours is not misusing, but using the list.

Dom: First of all, welcome to the internet :D Second thing: This has nothing to do with not respecting the guys who make lists. I totally appreciate what they are doing and I already thanked them in person. People just want to discuss the list, that doesn't mean they slag of the list organizers.

Dom: First of all, welcome to the internet :D Second thing: This has nothing to do with not respecting the guys who make lists. I totally appreciate what they are doing and I already thanked them in person. People just want to discuss the list, that doesn't mean they slag of the list organizers.

It's ok Mr.Teenie. I know. I more than anyone tell people to chill with the upset, as it's just the internet .. a forum .. im just a bit fed up, down and grouchy at the moment. Love sucks. I hate it. It's like drinking too much alcahol. You drink way too much and say you will never drink again ... You swear you will never love again, but you always end up loving again

anyway. totally irrelevant. sorry. I know this isn't agony aunt forum.

Do continue and discuss. Though apparently we're not supposed to discuss the line callers at gigs. Totally unaware of this and totally confused as to why this is such a problem .. but apparently this is the unwritten rule ... being an UN-written rule i guess that's why i didn't know!!

It's ok Mr.Teenie. I know. I more than anyone tell people to chill with the upset, as it's just the internet .. a forum .. im just a bit fed up, down and grouchy at the moment. Love sucks. I hate it. It's like drinking too much alcahol. You drink way too much and say you will never drink again ... You swear you will never love again, but you always end up loving again

anyway. totally irrelevant. sorry. I know this isn't agony aunt forum.

Not irrelevant at all! Everyone can relate to that feeling....

:flowers:

Not irrelevant at all! Everyone can relate to that feeling....

:flowers:

Thank you Teenie. Appretiate the kind words, and the flowers :-D

This story is old. I know .. but it goes on.

Till the next love i guess.

(Not Morrissey lyrics this one but still pretty cool ... "Love is like a flower as it grows and it's the rain beneath the sun that helps it bloom")

I could do with a hug off Moz. I would que from 5.00 in the morning without being on any kind of list at all for that right now.

x x

It works for some people.... it didn't work for me. I got in line at midnight. There was a list going around but... they decided to skip me and let all their friends cut in front who actually arrived at 4pm. I can understand saving your friend a spot but I'm talking a few dozens "friends".

This thread is is why I stroll in about 15 minutes before the lights go down and always find a good enough spot (and have an awesome time) each-and-every show I attend.

It works for some people.... it didn't work for me. I got in line at midnight. There was a list going around but... they decided to skip me and let all their friends cut in front who actually arrived at 4pm. I can understand saving your friend a spot but I'm talking a few dozens "friends".

and that's the elitist, favouritist shit we should all rail against, but alas if you're part of the chosen, the 'special' group nothing applies to you and why go against your friends (or yourself).. no one has any.... (forgive this) balls anymore! no one will stand up and say "NO" to these pricks. you may be a wallflower, but that doesn't mean you have to be a doormat as well.

speaking of notorious line-jumpers... where's Julia been lately? trust-fund running low?

I've lost all faith in the human race. vile creatures.

- the boy least likely to..

This seems like a good a place as any to bring this up .... someone texted this "news" to me (2nd hand) but surely it can't be true? :eek::eek::eek:

There is a post-it-note a.k.a. " official queue list" on the door of the Fox Theater for tomorrow's gig.

Thoughts?

What about the people that turn up a couple of hours before the gig, queue up faithfully and don't have a clue that a cliquey list exists? Do they just have to accept people turning up and pushing in front of them because they are not in the know?

What about the people that turn up a couple of hours before the gig, queue up faithfully and don't have a clue that a cliquey list exists? Do they just have to accept people turning up and pushing in front of them because they are not in the know?

Totally agree with this. We went to a gig recently, checked out the venue at noon (to make sure he really was playing :p) and there were three people there. We went away for some food and sightseeing, came back a few hours later and there were 9 people in front of us so we queued up. An hour or so before the doors opened people crawled out of the woodwork, a list was read out and they went in front of us. We didn't really want to cause any trouble so we just accepted it. Don't think it's fair though - I didn't even know the list existed for this particular gig, I've only seen it in the UK before and thought it was usually handled pretty well, but this seemed like a cliquey thing to me.

Dude, did you read what I've just written. It seems not. If there is a list, noone HAS to queue up "for hours". That's the whole point of the list.
I totally understand the concept of queueing, but it seems you don't understand the concept of the list (you just illustrated that with your shop example). With this list still everyone has the same chances, you just don't have to stand in line if you don't want to.

mr teenie, i'm not sure where you're from. but in the states and in the UK, where i have queued for moz shows (every time with a queue list), the list is to PREVENT CUTTING, protect the order of the queue and to prove what time you showed up.

UNLESS KICKED OFF THE PREMISES BY THE VENUE, it is not so you can go walk around the city all day. you are still expected to put in your time sitting on the hard concrete in the cold, along with everyone else. at the dozens of shows that i have attended with a queue list, this has been the case. perhaps it was different at your show, but i've never seen it this way.

the queue list is great, because if you DO go back to your hotel room to shower or to grab a bite to eat (not a 6-hour nap), there is proof that you had been in line. but it all falls apart if people interpret this as free license to leave the queue all day, that's not what it's intended for. it's just to keep order, prevent cutting, etc.

i also haven't encountered any problems with people not being included on the list. obviously as the show gets closer (afternoon hours) and dozens of people are turning up, the list stops being added to and it is now just the queue. but for the people who turn up really early, i've always seen them be approached and added to the list whether they know anyone or not.

just my two cents..

Don't think it's fair though - I didn't even know the list existed for this particular gig, I've only seen it in the UK before and thought it was usually handled pretty well, but this seemed like a cliquey thing to me.

I can't speak for a particular gig, and if the accountant rampant wasn't organising it, it could be dodgy. But there are a lot of misconceptions voiced here about the list.

When organised fairly, people are not allowed to f*** off for the whole day and then return to claim a spot in the front of the queue. There's not a hard and fast rule about the exact amount of time spent in the queue, but the majority of the time should be spent in the queue. Short breaks for toileting (PLEASE don't be a smelly hippy and ruin the gig for those around you, including Morrissey) and eating allowed/encouraged. If you're absent for too long, general opprobrium will follow and a stern but kindly man will have a good talking to you about that and may even boot you off your initial spot if it is particularly aggregious.

It may seem cliquey to you, but that is probably because you were not there early enough -- newcomers to the queue are informed without prejudice about the list as they turn up, but only up to a certain point. Depending on the length of the stage, the list may stop at a certain number because there's no point in keeping track of an unwieldy number with no assurances of getting a position at the barrier.

Also, people on the list are present in the queue, but they may like to speak with a friend who is at the end of or further down the queue or just returned from putting away chairs/going to the toilet. When it is time to sort out the positions right before doors, it looks to you like these people came out of nowhere and took a spot ahead of you unfairly, but that is likely not the case.

Also, people on the list are present in the queue, but they may like to speak with a friend who is at the end of or further down the queue or just returned from putting away chairs/going to the toilet. When it is time to sort out the positions right before doors, it looks to you like these people came out of nowhere and took a spot ahead of you unfairly, but that is likely not the case.

good point as well, mel. this is another good feature of the list - the person who's 2nd in line can sit for a while and chat with the person who is 17th in line (or vice versa), and no one has to worry about the order of the queue being screwed up. once it's time to go in, everyone just lines up according to the list.

Tags
dontskipkthxbai getalifeadam havemanners! list is life name's not down not coming in obey the list!
Back
Top Bottom