Morrissey Central "94 Years Old Today" (August 4, 2021)

94 Years Old Today
August 4, 2021

unnamed-1_pqst2q.jpg

James Baldwin would have turned 97 on 2 August 2021.

As others have already mentioned, Morrissey has been an admirer of James Baldwin all his life. People calling him a racist, are probably not aware of that. Morrissey is definitely not woke, and probably not racist either. He may feel the pressure to show the world he's not racist, but then I would look to his recent collaboration with Thelma Houston (which I liked) or his upcoming work with AP&P Rocky (here I am really curious) for possible evidence, not his references to James Baldwin. Moreover, I don't think that those people who are convinced that Morrissey is a racist would even look at Morrissey Central for confirmation.

I was just asking the question because in the thread about Johnny Marr re-signing to BMG, I saw a poster claiming that Morrissey once said that Marr was 60 when he actually was 57, so I wondered whether there was a pattern here. If it is a joke, then I am afraid that I am not getting it (I admit to being a numerical person).
When did Morrissey first publicly reference Baldwin?

How many Black or Brown cover stars did he eulogize on the the record cover sleeves he created for The Smiths Collective?

Did his referencing Bruce Lee precede his specious 'subspecies' remarks about 'The Chinese'?

Do you mean A$AP Rocky?

As for collaboration with hired musicians of colour: Eric Clapton employed Black people in his band before, during and after his infamous racist outburst at the Birmingham Odeon gig which I walked out of. He also covered a Bob Marley song and his entire 'Slowhand' guitar schtick is based on the cultural appropriation of vintage Black blues music.

Morrissey could have Living Color as his backing band but it wouldn't impact on our deliberations as to whether or not he is a racist. Or just an insufferably boorish face-time attention whore troll.

BB

Your message implies that people cannot and don't change. You also fail to note that Morrissey has always included an abundance of writers, for his "altar of influences." These writers include Wilde, Plath, Sexton, and too many others to mention here.
When did he first elevate a non-Caucasian to cover star?

Writers and actors.

My message implies no such thing. Morrissey is changing as he realises the profound threat His gormless posturing now poses to his cash flow, bottom line, cultural relevance and legacy. But its too late. Karma is a bitch, Steven. We keep receipts...

In fact, it's an 'altar of crassly appropriated cultural trinkets and baubles', like a 5 year old might dress an Xmas tree. Amusing, but aesthetically challenging from a grown-up perspective.

BB

America is not the world
I reckon ah yes. I reckon the go to that all you anti-American terrorists here love to quote. The song written by the same dude in Encino who wrote "autobiography". I reckon in a business sense it is doing what it was made to do since 2004, keep you delusional wackos buying from the mporiumuk so California Son doesn't have to tour your backwards in bred cesspool part of the world outside of his country America to get your money fking hell m8 inn nn n nn n n n nnn n it.

I agree, it's pathetic. In fairness to Spam, he is simply like many on the web who mix their past, future and present tense up .
Hes such a tool though, if their is any margin for error , Spam will arrive in that margin.
Did you deliberately mix up your grammar when talking about people mixing up their tenses? Brilliantly inspired. I hope. :rolleyes:

When did Morrissey first publicly reference Baldwin?
Was that in his autobiography or earlier? Haven’t read every single interview. But in autobiography, he mentioned seeing James Baldwin in a hotel lobby in Barcelona in 1986, which to me suggests he was already well acquainted with the man’s work at that time.
How many Black or Brown cover stars did he eulogize on the the record cover sleeves he created for The Smiths Collective?
The answer here is clearly none. The covers showed some of his youth idols / influences and they were white. But was that so unusual at the time? Do you really think it was different for other artists of that same period? Mentalities and attitudes change over time, and judging the Smiths cover art against today’s diversity norms without acknowledging this evolution is not entirely fair.
Did his referencing Bruce Lee precede his specious 'subspecies' remarks about 'The Chinese'?

Do you mean A$AP Rocky?
Yes, sorry.
As for collaboration with hired musicians of colour: Eric Clapton employed Black people in his band before, during and after his infamous racist outburst at the Birmingham Odeon gig which I walked out of. He also covered a Bob Marley song and his entire 'Slowhand' guitar schtick is based on the cultural appropriation of vintage Black blues music.

Morrissey could have Living Color as his backing band but it wouldn't impact on our deliberations as to whether or not he is a racist. Or just an insufferably boorish face-time attention whore troll.

BB
Our opinions are never 100% objective. To a certain entent, we all use the information and facts selectively to draw certain conclusions. At times we already know what our opinions will be, and just pick up these arguments that will support our conclusion.

I like some of Morrissey's lyrics sooooo muuuuuuuch. I never heard lyrics from other singers, that are so spot on. But his own taste is 🤢 .... except maybe Diana Dors whose song was played in "importance of Morrissey" and Maya Angelou. But this one is 🙄🙄🙄😬

I reckon ah yes. I reckon the go to that all you anti-American terrorists here love to quote. The song written by the same dude in Encino who wrote "autobiography". I reckon in a business sense it is doing what it was made to do since 2004, keep you delusional wackos buying from the mporiumuk so California Son doesn't have to tour your backwards in bred cesspool part of the world outside of his country America to get your money fking hell m8 inn nn n nn n n n nnn n it.
I doubt the site makes a lot of money.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom