5,751,133 people listen to Morrissey's lyrics every month on Spotify

The Beatles have 29 albums listed on Spotify, including compilations and deluxe versions. John Lennon has 20 albums on Spotify, including compilations and deluxe versions. The lower number of solo John Lennon releases available to stream matches the lower monthly streams.

However, Morrissey has double the number of Spotify available albums of The Smiths (22 solo albums compared with 11 albums by The Smiths) yet his solo material garners less than half of the monthly listeners of The Smiths.

Anybody that knows anything about music will tell you that sales or the amount of listeners in this case is determined by popularity promotion and quality of the music. Both the Beatles and The Smiths have a much wider appeal by virtue of these three factors.

The Smiths have 4,019,654 monthly listeners on Spotify.*

Morrissey has 1,731,479 monthly listeners on Spotify.*

That means that 5,751,133 people are listening to Morrissey's lyrics every f***ing month on Spotify!

You won't read this info on The Guardian's website, btw. Or on NME. Now why is that?

Because it's not particularly newsworthy.

Because it's not particularly newsworthy.

Well I think it is.

A certain "news" outlet told us that Morrissey's fans "feel betrayed". And yet, they're buying Morrissey's latest album and they're still listening to Morrissey on Spotify and YouTube.

A few days ago, another website told us to watch The Smiths' last gig. Footage that has been up on YouTube for over two years. Morrissey's opening night on Broadway has been up for five weeks and has had around the same amount of views as that video of The Smiths. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...last-ever-live-show-1986-june-10-2019.144334/

And now, Morrissey's latest album, California Son, is climbing back up Amazon's Alternative & Indie chart. It's now at Number 4: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Music-Alternative-Indie/zgbs/music/231193?tag=msamzn-21

This is all newsworthy!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I think it is.

A certain "news" outlet told us that Morrissey's fans "feel betrayed". And yet, they're buying Morrissey's latest album and they're still listening to Morrissey on Spotify and YouTube.

A few days ago, another website told us to watch The Smiths' last gig. Footage that has been up on YouTube for over two years. Morrissey's opening night on Broadway has been up for five weeks and has had around the same amount of views as that video of The Smiths. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...last-ever-live-show-1986-june-10-2019.144334/

And now, Morrissey's latest album, California Son, is climbing back up Amazon's Alternative & Indie chart. It's now at Number 4: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Music-Alternative-Indie/zgbs/music/231193?tag=msamzn-21

This is all newsworthy!

Yeah. Hold the front page.

§
Well I think it is.

This is all newsworthy!

Ok Sam but back in the real world everyone knows it’s sales have been f***ing pitiful.

Due to having 3 solid albums in the last 4 years and a great back catalogue perhaps? They also have a very loyal following and are still selling out arenas in the UK.

https://wearejames.com/blog/#wembley-arena
I’m not slagging them nor their fans off, but those numbers are staggering for someone not British. To me they’re very much a regional band. Their worldwide influence is nowhere near that of Moz, Cure, New Order/JD, Roses etc - bands from kind of the same generation who also generate similar numbers.

Stone Roses are also quite regional.
At 1.6 M they have less listeners than Moz-solo, let alone The Smiths.

Here are some more Spotify monthly listener numbers of other bands that I like:

Stereolab - 451,028
Paul Weller - 522,416
Happy Mondays - 536,890
Sex Pistols - 1,070,081
The Jam - 1,272,945
Exho & The Bunnymen - 1,337,291

Your comment about Morrissey's numbers is daft, Surface.

Morrissey has 1,731,479 monthly listeners. Now, to put that into some kind of perspective, Miles Davis has 1,592,940 monthly listeners. John Coltrane has 1,777,972 monthly listeners. They are two of the greatest jazz musicians of all time.

What a ridiculous comparison.

What a ridiculous comparison.

It really isn't, HT. How is comparing Morrissey's monthly listeners to Miles or Coltrane, ridiculous?

I'm a fan of both Miles and Coltrane. All jazz in fact.

Thelonious Monk, one of the greatest jazz pianists of all time, has 757,038 monthly listeners.

The second best drummer of all time, Max Roach, has 114,054 monthly listeners.

The greatest drummer of all time, Elvin Jones, has 48,072 monthly listeners. He has less than 20,000 followers on Spotify! I'm one of 'em!

These musicians, these jazz icons, made a lot of historic recordings. Name a jazz musician and I bet those I've mentioned either played with or recorded with them.

So when someone on here says something disparaging regarding Morrissey's Spotify stats, and they're then shown stats for musicians like Miles and Coltrane, it puts it all into perspective.

It really isn't, HT. How is comparing Morrissey's monthly listeners to Miles or Coltrane, ridiculous?

I'm a fan of both Miles and Coltrane. All jazz in fact.

Thelonious Monk, one of the greatest jazz pianists of all time, has 757,038 monthly listeners.

The second best drummer of all time, Max Roach, has 114,054 monthly listeners.

The greatest drummer of all time, Elvin Jones, has 48,072 monthly listeners. He has less than 20,000 followers on Spotify! I'm one of 'em!

These musicians, these jazz icons, made a lot of historic recordings. Name a jazz musician and I bet those I've mentioned either played with or recorded with them.

So when someone on here says something disparaging regarding Morrissey's Spotify stats, and they're then shown stats for musicians like Miles and Coltrane, it puts it all into perspective.

It's ridiculous because Morrissey has absolutely nothing to do with jazz. The overlap in audience must be 5% or less. Plus, the overall listenership of jazz is much less than rock and pop. That's not a knock on jazz. It's just a fact.

Morrissey's numbers are most fairly compared to those of his contemporaries - that being post-punk, indie, brit pop, alternative, etc. artists that came up through the 80s.

It's ridiculous because Morrissey has absolutely nothing to do with jazz. The overlap in audience must be 5% or less. Plus, the overall listenership of jazz is much less than rock and pop. That's not a knock on jazz. It's just a fact.

Morrissey's numbers are most fairly compared to those of his contemporaries - that being post-punk, indie, brit pop, alternative, etc. artists that came up through the 80s.

Spotify doesn't work like that though, HT.

I used Miles as an example as he still sells a load of records:

"Today, 50 years after it was released, "Kind of Blue" remains the bestselling jazz album of all time. More than 4 million copies have been sold, and the album still sells an average of 5,000 copies a week. If you have a jazz album on your shelf, odds are it's "Kind of Blue.""

https://www.newsweek.com/how-kind-blue-became-best-selling-jazz-album-ever-77791

Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, occupies 3 positions in Amazon's top 10 Jazz chart; It's at number 1, 7 and 8:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Music-Jazz/zgbs/music/34/ref=zg_bs_nav_m_1_m

It's not ridiculous, I like Coltrane too.
Anyway, it would be fun to make a poll about how people listen to Morrissey here (i.e, Spotify, CD, MP3, Vinyl).

It's not ridiculous, I like Coltrane too.
Anyway, it would be fun to make a poll about how people listen to Morrissey here (i.e, Spotify, CD, MP3, Vinyl).
And I like GG Allin, but I don't think that's a fair comparison either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom