Morrissey Central "#YourLivesMatter" (July 1, 2020)

It's hardly a connection. It probably conferred on him some dining rights at Fitz and very little else. He had no connection with any other colleges, or departments within the university. I don't believe he's ever taught or lectured there. Whereas Gopal is an active teaching college fellow and member of the English faculty who lives, work, and teaches/lectures in the University as her main job.
As for the difference between the utterances it is worth reading up on what Gopal meant. I'm going to cop out here and point you towards this thread by another Cambridge academic explaining the rationale behind her tweet much more cogently than I ever could:

She's absolutely right - white lives don't matter.
Young white girls get raped in Rotherham and Rochdale - the police and social services do nothing because they don't want to be called 'racist'. A young white boy gets stabbed in a racially motivated attack - barely gets reported. A white man dies in police custody - barely gets reported. They have 'white privilege' so who cares?
Being white is the 21st century equivalent of 'original sin'. All white people are guilty.
Only black lives matter. We get the message.

Young white girls get raped in Rotherham and Rochdale - the police and social services do nothing because they don't want to be called 'racist'. A young white boy gets stabbed in a racially motivated attack - barely gets reported. A white man dies in police custody - barely gets reported. They have 'white privilege' so who cares?
Being white is the 21st century equivalent of 'original sin'. All white people are guilty.
I think you just need to accept that Gopal's point was too subtle and nuanced for you to understand.
And as a point of fact, the police did charge the rapists in both Rotherham and Rochdale and the courts convicted them. As for the rest of your exampled, the instances you quote are so vague as to be irrelevant and the conclusion you draw from them is consequently meaningless.

I think you just need to accept that Gopal's point was too subtle and nuanced for you to understand.
And as a point of fact, the police did charge the rapists in both Rotherham and Rochdale and the courts convicted them. As for the rest of your exampled, the instances you quote are so vague as to be irrelevant and the conclusion you draw from them is consequently meaningless.

Gopal and Guyatt spout the usual post-structuralist / neo-Marxist bollocks that has infiltrated through the entire university system these days. Proof of the difference between education and wisdom.
You may not have noticed - but young girls were raped for years before any action was taken. It was a scandal, although quickly dropped like a stone by the media. Whereas Windrush is mentioned every night. Several of the rapists fled to Pakistan and Bangladesh and escaped justice.
You make my point. Over the past 10 years in the UK, 163 people have died in police custody. 140 were white. Name one of them.
Everyone knows the name of Stephen Lawrence. Ever heard of Richard Everitt?

Gopal and Guyatt spout the usual post-structuralist / neo-Marxist bollocks that has infiltrated through the entire university system these days. Proof of the difference between education and wisdom.
Right. I'll take your word for that. All I can say is that when I was at university, neither post-structuralism nor neo-Marxism was ever high on the agenda.
You may not have noticed - but young girls were raped for years before any action was taken. It was a scandal, although quickly dropped like a stone by the media. Whereas Windrush is mentioned every night. Several of the rapists fled to Pakistan and Bangladesh and escaped justice.
Disbelief of sexual assault victims was common until very recently. Abuse of children in children homes and by Catholic priests was similarly ignored for decades. I note you don't ever mention those examples, perhaps because the perpetrators were overwhelmingly white.
You make my point. Over the past 10 years in the UK, 163 people have died in police custody. 140 were white. Name one of them.
Everyone knows the name of Stephen Lawrence. Ever heard of Richard Everitt?
Which has no relevance to the subject at hand. I can't name anyone who has died in police custody except for one man who died locally over twenty years ago. So what point you are trying to make is not clear, if indeed there is one and you aren't just throwing meaningless black/white comparisons in to muddy the waters.

Right. I'll take your word for that. All I can say is that when I was at university, neither post-structuralism nor neo-Marxism was ever high on the agenda.

Disbelief of sexual assault victims was common until very recently. Abuse of children in children homes and by Catholic priests was similarly ignored for decades. I note you don't ever mention those examples, perhaps because the perpetrators were overwhelmingly white.

Which has no relevance to the subject at hand. I can't name anyone who has died in police custody except for one man who died locally over twenty years ago. So what point you are trying to make is not clear, if indeed there is one and you aren't just throwing meaningless black/white comparisons in to muddy the waters.

The girls weren't disbelieved. The police and social services took no action because they didn't want to be accused of hounding BAME men for preying on white girls.
Yep, under-reporting of white deaths in custody clearly has no relevance to a debate about an academic saying 'white lives don't matter'.

The girls weren't disbelieved. The police and social services took no action because they didn't want to be accused of hounding BAME men for preying on white girls.
Yep, under-reporting of white deaths in custody clearly has no relevance to a debate about an academic saying 'white lives don't matter'.
I'm sorry that you failed to (or were unwilling to) understand and engage with Gopal/Guyatt's argument but that's your problem not mine. If all you can do is reduce every academic argument to 'but white girls got raped by black men' then we are done here.

it was an all-round failure - they were leaving the girls to make their own sexual choices & ignoring the coercion, they were going through 'community' leaders instead of just investigating crime, anyone who went to the press got called a racist because it sounded like an urban myth & there was corruption & cover-ups by anyone who thought the scandal would impact their career.

An English professor tweeting doesn't really matter beyond it getting people angry.

it was an all-round failure - they were leaving the girls to make their own sexual choices & ignoring the coercion, they were going through 'community' leaders instead of just investigating crime, anyone who went to the press got called a racist because it sounded like an urban myth & there was corruption & cover-ups by anyone who thought the scandal would impact their career.

An English professor tweeting doesn't really matter beyond it getting people angry.

a reasoned response on this website is always refreshing. thank you.

I'm sorry that you failed to (or were unwilling to) understand and engage with Gopal/Guyatt's argument but that's your problem not mine. If all you can do is reduce every academic argument to 'but white girls got raped by black men' then we are done here.
Yeah we all know you are dismissive of the injustices that white's face cause you're too busy cucking for blacks

Yeah we all know you are dismissive of the injustices that white's face cause you're too busy cucking for blacks
Whites don't face injustices simply because they are white. If you weren't a thick redneck incel you'd have read the Guyatt tweets and learned that.

Whites don't face injustices simply because they are white. If you weren't a thick redneck incel you'd have read the Guyatt tweets and learned that.
Blacks don't face injustice for being black and I'd argue whites do face injustice for being white. It's called affirmative action
And when whites are the victims of police brutality why don't you care?

How insecure does one have to be to interpret the message of BLM as only black lives mattering?

Blacks don't face injustice for being black and I'd argue whites do face injustice for being white.
Black history of the last few centuries has consisted mainly of their being made to suffer injustices because of their skin colour, something that continues to this day. Are you really so dishonest or stupid that you would deny that? And I'd like to see you argue that white people in the west as a whole suffer injustices purely as a result of their skin colour. Don't just cite instances where a black person did something unpleasant to a white person because that won't do as an argument. We are talking about entire groups of people here, not individuals.
Go on, knock yourself out, I could do with a giggle right now.

Black history of the last few centuries has consisted mainly of their being made to suffer injustices because of their skin colour, something that continues to this day. Are you really so dishonest or stupid that you would deny that? And I'd like to see you argue that white people in the west as a whole suffer injustices purely as a result of their skin colour. Don't just cite instances where a black person did something unpleasant to a white person because that won't do as an argument. We are talking about entire groups of people here, not individuals.
Go on, knock yourself out, I could do with a giggle right now.

Ever heard of the Barbary slave trade?

Most of the comments in here is really showcasing Moz’s toxic racist fan base..

A match made in hell...

Most of the comments in here is really showcasing Moz’s toxic racist fan base..

A match made in hell...
If anyone ever asks you whether or not Morrissey is racist, you could do worse than point them towards this website and let them decide for themselves.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom