Morrissey Central "YOU MUST PLEASE REMEMBER" (March 3, 2021)

Kathy Burke annoyed me the most because if she admitted one of her political opinions (which she has in private) Twitter would have kicked the hell out of her for it & she may have lost work.

Calling Boris a c**t is easy.
Nerak, please don’t tell all. The vultures are gathering.

To be fair he didn’t threaten that. But he was apparently mesmerised by Thatcher’s agenda.

I do, incidentally, love the three movies Morcambe and Wise made. And Eric’s stage name was surely a respectful and welcome nod to George Formby.
Yes, I agree with you. I don't think Eric Morecambe would have moved abroad and he certainly didn't threaten to permanently move abroad if Labour got in! Eric Morecambe's health wasn't good and he was looking to retire from showbiz and he died quite young. The private telegram that he wrote to Margaret Thatcher was humorous and light-hearted and it wasn't made public at the time.

Peter Sellers was already living abroad and he was a Margaret Thatcher supporter but then he died in 1980.

No, I've no idea. I've always thought that Burke was an all-round good egg.

Aye, but it's Twitter. Nothing complex can be allowed to get in the way of a pile-on.

Pink News has spent yesterday & today desperately trying to remove a word they've used extensively from all their headlines, articles & tweets because it's been declared right-wing.

Yes, I agree with you. I don't think Eric Morecambe would have moved abroad and he certainly didn't threaten to permanently move abroad if Labour got in! Eric Morecambe's health wasn't good and he was looking to retire from showbiz and he died quite young. The private telegram that he wrote to Margaret Thatcher was humorous and light-hearted and it wasn't made public at the time.

Peter Sellers was already living abroad and he was a Margaret Thatcher supporter but then he died in 1980.
Yes, I’ve been thinking about the massive and widespread showbiz support she had: Kenneth Williams, Kenny Everett, Eric Sykes, Cilla Black, Rowan Atkinson, Ronnie Corbett, Lulu, Barbara Windsor were amongst the others. I also recall Glenda Jackson reminding some of them where they’d come from, and who’d paid for their lifestyles.

I love them all nevertheless. But I love Glenda Jackson more; who I’ve met incidentally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, but it's Twitter. Nothing complex can be allowed to get in the way of a pile-on.

Pink News has spent yesterday & today desperately trying to remove a word they've used extensively from all their headlines, articles & tweets because it's been declared right-wing.
As ‘cancel culture’ creeps into the workplace I’ve been dwelling on the difference between a ‘viewpoint’ and a ‘belief’. As you might know, in employment law, the difference is crucial.

I now make sure I say ‘it’s my belief Morrissey is a genius’—as if it’s merely my viewpoint, I’m on skid row.

Generally, I can’t help but think this is all ultimately going to be counter-productive (assuming harmony was ever the aim). But less people seem to be saying that ‘tolerance’ is an acceptable position anymore: activists from all sides want to see an allegiance tattooed on people’s faces.

Yes, I’ve been thinking about the massive and widespread showbiz support she had: Kenneth Williams, Kenny Everett, Eric Sykes, Cilla Black, Rowan Atkinson, Ronnie Corbett, Lulu, Barbara Windsor were amongst the others. I also recall Glenda Jackson reminding some of them where they’d come from, and who’d payed for their lifestyles.

I love them all nevertheless. But I love Glenda Jackson more; who I’ve met incidentally.
I really liked Kenneth Williams. I had no idea what he voted for or even if he was political. He was such a unique character! He seemed quite posh to me the way he spoke. Do you know if he came from a middle-class background?

Rowan Atkinson is quite posh and he is very well educated. I like him and he is popular all around the world he says interesting stuff about freedom of speech these days he doesn't follow the crowd, he is different and he has his own mind and he knows how to debate properly. He has an honour from the Queen like so many British celebrities do these days though.

It is interesting when working-class Northern English people like Eric Morecambe become Conservative because it is very different from their upbringing. They call them working-class Tories.

As ‘cancel culture’ creeps into the workplace I’ve been dwelling on the difference between a ‘viewpoint’ and a ‘belief’. As you might know, in employment law, the difference is crucial.

I now make sure I say ‘it’s my belief Morrissey is a genius’—as if it’s merely my viewpoint, I’m on skid row.

Generally, I can’t help but think this is all ultimately going to be counter-productive (assuming harmony was ever the aim). But less people seem to be saying that ‘tolerance’ is an acceptable position anymore: activists from all sides want to see an allegiance tattooed on people’s faces.

Yeah, it's an easy way of boosting your own status via ostentatiously displaying your virtuous opinions, taking out your enemies/rivals & never having to do anything difficult, like have policies that work.

It's why it centres around the correct language & associating with the correct people. It may as well be the court of the Sun King.

There's a growing opposition though. 🙃

20210303_191805.jpg

I really liked Kenneth Williams. I had no idea what he voted for or even if he was political. He was such a unique character! He seemed quite posh to me the way he spoke. Do you know if he came from a middle-class background?

Rowan Atkinson is quite posh and he is very well educated. I like him and he is popular all around the world he says interesting stuff about freedom of speech these days he doesn't follow the crowd, he is different and he has his own mind and he knows how to debate properly. He has an honour from the Queen like so many British celebrities do these days though.

It is interesting when working-class Northern English people like Eric Morecambe become Conservative because it is very different from their upbringing. They call them working-class Tories.
Kenneth Williams came from a genuinely working-class background.

No. Believe it or not, there really are plenty of people who genuinely think Morrissey is a twat.
Especially those who, for the sake of their careers, keep their fingers wet to see which way the wind’s blowing.

Kermode’s other ‘favourite’, Woody Allen, doesn’t get much of a mention these days either.

Especially those who, for the sake of their careers, keep their fingers wet to see which way the wind’s blowing.

Kermode’s other ‘favourite’, Woody Allen, doesn’t get much of a mention these days either.

Anyone who genuinely thinks it said so when he wasn't in disgrace.

Hadley Freeman is fighting hard for Woody (I don't know much about him beyond the gossip & have only got round to watching Match Point for Jonathan Rhys Meyers REASONS) - everyone else who loved him is either quiet as the grave or sticking the boot in.

TMYIMTCIG is probably the closest Morrissey came to being a "crossover" pop star. He mentioned this period in Autobiography and how the record company decided to heavily promote Alanis Morissette instead of him. That's the gist anyway, I don't recall the exact details.

I worked at a studio that had worked with a band signed to Warner's - debut album recorded and all ready for the big push, then Barenaked Ladies dropped 'One Week' and that was the end of that.

Anyone who genuinely thinks it said so when he wasn't in disgrace.

Hadley Freeman is fighting hard for Woody (I don't know much about him beyond the gossip & have only got round to watching Match Point for Jonathan Rhys Meyers REASONS) - everyone else who loved him is either quiet as the grave or sticking the boot in.
Can I recommend Shadows and Fog? It’s brilliant and doesn’t often get mentioned. Also, Curse of the Jade Scorpion: It’s his Kill Uncle—crap but strangely endearing.

How can you name a post that and then not push the actual song? From a single that sold tiny numbers & not featured on any compilation, 'You Must Please Remember' has got to be one of the lesser listened to songs of all.

Can I recommend Shadows and Fog? It’s brilliant and doesn’t often get mentioned. Also, Curse of the Jade Scorpion: It’s his Kill Uncle—crap but strangely endearing.

Never even heard of Curse! I'll track them down & watch.

Nick Kent is on another thread saying he doesn't like Moz's politics - none of them know his politics. There isn't a single accurate/insightful article about it. Not one. 🙄

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom