YOR vs The Bends vs The Stone Roses vs Aeroplane Over The Sea

bailiffwithbadbreath

'so-slow liberation army'
One thing about Morrissey's latest album is that I feel I can almost exist within it. I know that sounds quite peculiar - and it is - but it's a feeling I've had before with a handful of albums. It's engrossing, exciting, touching and of such quality that it really is beginning to define this period in my life. Only the albums listed above have had such a similarly profound effect on me before. 'Vauxhall' is another I can imagine could be similarly captivating but it never quite grabbed me with such ferocity. The Queen is Dead' is another. I can see YOR going on to become a Morrissey classic. I feel sure this album will be viewed alongside VAI and TQID by pop historians. Any thoughts?

Trying to get more attention? Try moving another thread. That ought to do it.

I predict a short tenancy for you here. You are an ingenue and getting on user's nerves, by posting loads of similar threads in a short space of time, then getting shirty when people tell you that they don't like it. My advice to you is to calm down, space things out, and be nice. The mods here have already seen examples of your posting behaviour, both here and on the main page. It does not bode well. Just calm down.

I predict a short tenancy for you here. You are an ingenue and getting on user's nerves, by posting loads of similar threads in a short space of time, then getting shirty when people tell you that they don't like it. My advice to you is to calm down, space things out, and be nice. The mods here have already seen examples of your posting behaviour, both here and on the main page. It does not bode well. Just calm down.

Hilarious. Accidentally so.

I meant every word, chummy boy. Keep this up and you won't last another day.

Oh a threat? I'm absolutely mortified. You are - my friend - a little crass.

Ok, ok. First of all, everyone needs to calm down and stop bickering over the creation of threads. It is, in most cases, completely petty and pointless. At least that's how I see it. Sorry :rolleyes:.

Secondly (and going back to the original point of the thread), I agree with you, balliff. YOR is a vital, energetic album with a lot of passion and sincerity, and I can see it becoming a 'classic' Morrissey album in years to come. Every song is emotionally intense too- and in my opinion, that's what gives it its power and its ability to divide opinion across the fanbase. It's recently become my favourite solo album alongside Vauxhall for these reasons (and also possibly for the fact that it was the first album release after I became a fan). Overall, over the past months I have realised that YOR is a very personal and significant record for me, and what I have written above pretty much explains this completely. :)

Last edited:
You're right girl. The mature mods just leave people to it and mark down threads threatening to murder people etc. Unfortunately, the mini-hitlers have to 'threaten' to move threads and throw their not inconsiderable weight around these forums in full comic fashion! For example, someone who uses the word ingenue to describe me should, at least, know how to use the apostrophe. Typing, "no!" was a similarly crass, attention-seeking ploy he used yesterday to soil the creative essay thread - before he moved it to the pigsty. The terrible crime of that thread? To attempt to create something a little more cerebral on this site. I haven't threatened, insulted or attacked anyone on these forums until three seconds ago - so why try to pick a fight with me? I'm as peaceful as a flower.

His behaviour is - in many ways - the antithesis of the philosophy underpinning Morrissey's work. The abuse of laughably minor authority. Mediocrity is always threatened by talent. A lesson any of us with even the faintest hint of talent will learn at some stage.

Regarding your thoughts on YOR, it looks like we agree. It moves me each and every time I play it. It's the realisation of that disaffected, middle aged punk thing Morrissey has been aiming at for quite some time now. Do you like any of the other records in the title of this thread? I had thought Morrissey was close to retirement a couple of years ago but now I want him to go on and on, like an artistic Ariston.

Excuse me, the response from the mods to this thread is totally uncalled for.

There's nothing offensive in the original post & it's the first post I've read from this poster so I hardly think he can be accused of flooding the board.

I don't think YOR is as good as The Bends & I don't think it will be seen as a classic in the future. But it's not that far behind The Bends either & will be seen in the future as a solid, occasionally exceptional album.

I don't believe The Stone Roses is a classic album, but so many do I'll accept that I may be in a minority. I certainly think YOR is an easier listen though.

Who/what is Aeroplane Over The Sea? Not familiar with that one.

EDIT: Oh dear, he has started alot of threads hasn't he? I'll just not read them. Not difficult is it?

Last edited:
Excuse me, the response from the mods to this thread is totally uncalled for.

Who/what is Aeroplane Over The Sea? Not familiar with that one.

I don't think it's 'the mods,' it's just one individual with an attitude problem. He does have a nice singing voice though, if I remember correctly.

If you haven't got it, I would highly recommend 'Aeroplane' by Neutral Milk Hotel. It's been compared to 'The Banana album' by the Velvets in that it didn't sell many and few people have heard of it but half of those that listened decided to form a band, so inspired were they.

The singer-songwriter is something of a poetic genius with a very odd singing voice that can sound tender, annoying or like sandpaper. It's an album I've heard described as being 'a depressing carnival,' which is as good a description as you'll hear of it.

Last edited:
The Stone Roses are painful to listen to..

Surely they're more interesting than The Beatles? Brown is a bit of a prick but I like John Squire.

Re: (absurd thread) YOR vs The Bends vs The Stone Roses vs Aeroplane Over The Sea

bailiffwithbadbreath, you are annoying.
Go my boy, walk, walk, walk...

mini-hitlers

For example, someone who uses the word ingenue to describe me should, at least, know how to use the apostrophe.

His behaviour is - in many ways - the antithesis of the philosophy underpinning Morrissey's work.

:rolleyes:

A lesson any of us with even the faintest hint of talent will learn at some stage.

Wait, what is it you're talented at, exactly? :D

I only know top 40 Stone Roses songs, The Bends is okay. However your connection of YOR to Aeroplane Over the Sea is very astute. I've always likened the messages of I'm OK By Myself to Two Headed Boy.

Godwin's Law. Again.

Why continue to troll this thread and bring in your 'moderator' friends? I don't recall bothering you. Or even - it must be said - noticing you.

Tags
belief bored gildenstern rosenkrantz two idiots
Back
Top Bottom