Would you like Visconti to produce the next Morrissey album?

Would you like Visconti to produce the next Morrissey album?

• Yes

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 40.0%

• Total voters

Rupert

When Morrissey eventually heads into the studio to record his next album, should Visconti produce it? I personally think he did wonders with Ringleader and I would love to see a continuous relationship between Moz and Visconti i.e. like Bowie and Bolan.

Yes, but Morrissey has to allow him more freedom. I get the sense from Ringleader that Visconti was held back slightly by Morrissey's somewhat conservative and narrow-minded view of how his music should be. We got glimpses of some really magical stuff on Dear God, Please Help Me and Life Is A Pigsty, but, overall, it was pretty much same old same old. If Moz decides to let Visconti really work his magic and influence the sound more, I think they could produce some of Morrissey's best work ever.

Last edited:
dazzak said:
Yes, but Morrissey has to allow him more freedom. I get the sense from Ringleader that Visconti was held back slightly by Morrissey's somewhat conservative and narrow-minded view of how his music should be. We got glimpses of some really magical stuff on Dear God, Please Help Me and Life Is A Pigsty, but, overall, it was pretty much same old same old. If Moz decides to let Visconti really work his magic and influence the sound more, I think they could produce some of Morrissey's best work ever.

You said it, mate

I don't think it's true that Morrissey held Visconti back.
The Manic St Preachers used him on their last album. They did two songs with him before they realised that they sounded the same as the tracks they tried with Greg Haver only Visconti cost twice as much.
On the other hand, it can't have been easy for him to get three guitarists & a keyboard player on one song.
Someone on Dear God Please Help Me wants a slap for throwing lots of potential away but I've no idea who that could be.
I'm still lost as to why Boz doesn't produce one. He's got plenty of production experience, runs his own studio & would be a good choice.
As musical director I assume it was he who got Mikey Farrell & Matt Walker involved. And they do a pretty good job.

I had to say no. I thoroughly enjoyed Ringleader of the Tormentors, but it could've been a career-defining masterpiece and (in my opinion) it wasn't. It was just a solid album. Realistically, I can't imagine another Visconti-produced Morrissey album venturing too far from the sound of ROTT. Not to say that I'd be unhappy if they announced that Visconti was producing the next one, just that I'd rather Moz take his chances with a different producer, given the choice.

Moz should give Brian Eno a ring some time.

ROTT is definitely Morrissey's magnum opus. Another aye from the bleachers for Visconti.

Emotional Guide Dog said:
I don't think it's true that Morrissey held Visconti back.
The Manic St Preachers used him on their last album. They did two songs with him before they realised that they sounded the same as the tracks they tried with Greg Haver only Visconti cost twice as much.
On the other hand, it can't have been easy for him to get three guitarists & a keyboard player on one song.
Someone on Dear God Please Help Me wants a slap for throwing lots of potential away but I've no idea who that could be.
I'm still lost as to why Boz doesn't produce one. He's got plenty of production experience, runs his own studio & would be a good choice.
As musical director I assume it was he who got Mikey Farrell & Matt Walker involved. And they do a pretty good job.

Yeah, but also, the Manics got very funny with Visconti because of the whole being in America thing. They later said that Visconti did a great job on the two tracks.

My initial reaction was to vote yes, and I did, as when I first heard the album, way back when, one of the things that struck me was how much better the production sounded than on YATQ. The band sounded a bit more freer, and the whole thing was more Rocky and loud which is how I prefer my Morrissey records.

However, I do believe that pretty much all of the ROTT songs sounded much better live, TFWMBK apart. Although I'm not too sure if that means the album could have been produced better or not to be honest.

Eno seems to be a popular choice on here, but personally I'm really not sure what he's done since the Bowie trilogy that's been any good? And that's if you count Lodger as being any good, and as a Bowie fanatic even I'm not really sure you can do ;)

I know he's worked with U2, but I really dislike U2 in general so I can't really comment on what Eno did with them. I'm not trying to be funny or say Eno shouldn't do the next album, I'm just being ignorant, but what has he done recently that's stood out and being anything special?

dazzak said:

What a gay thing to say.

Rupert said:
Yeah, but also, the Manics got very funny with Visconti because of the whole being in America thing. They later said that Visconti did a great job on the two tracks.

Really? Well he did do a pretty good job of them. The whole album is vastly underrated.

I'd still llike Boz to produce one though.

The day that's announced, not only will pigs fly, but my head will explode as well.

It's unlikely, to be sure. But I would've said the same thing about Visconti producing a Morrissey album a few years back. A match made in heaven? Yes. Ever going to happen? No. And certainly, Morrissey has a known appreciation for Eno (or at least bits and pieces of his career).

I know he's worked with U2, but I really dislike U2 in general so I can't really comment on what Eno did with them. I'm not trying to be funny or say Eno shouldn't do the next album, I'm just being ignorant, but what has he done recently that's stood out and being anything special?

Well (as a U2 fan), one of the main reasons I think Brian Eno would be a good choice for Morrissey is because of what I've heard of U2's Eno-produced material. You probably wouldn't be familiar with it, but I can easily imagine Morrissey singing something beautiful over the music from U2's Your Blue Room. Brian Eno's latest solo album gives a pretty good example of what he's still capable of. It's strange, but very beautiful. And I'm not sure what the extent of his involvement with Paul Simon's latest album was, but the songs were all nicely arranged on it.

I'm not fishing for some off-the-wall record with Morrissey yodeling over a bed of ambient synth strings (however... :)) . Eno's more than capable of producing fairly straight-forward pop albums.

Back
Top Bottom