"World Peace" review by Keith Cameron in Mojo (4 stars, Aug. 2014)

Re: World Peace 4-Star Mojo Review

Great news indeed... which won't go down well with the Barleygroans of this place.

Yep, good news but I'm pretty certain they've given all the most recent Moz albums 4 stars - bit of a shame it didn't get a 5.

Thanks for the news, Syd! Is there a chance you could scan the review or transcribe the text?

Very exciting news! :) thanks.

I think we all know this is going to be a great effort from Moz but it wont see huge commercial success

I think we all know this is going to be a great effort from Moz but it wont see huge commercial success

Why won't it see huge commercial success (relative for a Morrissey album)? Can you explain?
There's been a five-year gap so plenty of pent-up demand. Looks like it's going to be his best received album for 20 years. And the single has been added to the UK's most popular radio station.
Chances are it'll do well for a Morrissey album i.e. a good chance of going Platinum.

Why won't it see huge commercial success (relative for a Morrissey album)? Can you explain?
There's been a five-year gap so plenty of pent-up demand. Looks like it's going to be his best received album for 20 years. And the single has been added to the UK's most popular radio station.
Chances are it'll do well for a Morrissey album i.e. a good chance of going Platinum.

It will do fine, but really, when was the last time a Morrissey album went platinum? :lbf:

It will do fine, but really, when was the last time a Morrissey album went platinum? :lbf:

The last time there was a big gap since the previous album, and tons of hype for the album about to come out i.e. in 2004 for You Are The Quarry.
However, unlike YATQ, the signs are that we have a genuinely great album on our hands this time...

Great to hear!
Been waiting for some substantial word on the album to help flush away the remaining turds of the recent, inconsequential "battle of words".

Maybe not but sometimes albums can go as viral as cat memes if the word gets out through the right channels.

Great to hear!
Been waiting for some substantial word on the album to help flush away the remaining turds of the recent, inconsequential "battle of words".

Word.

What I've heard sounds fantastic and I hope this sucker is a whopping success.

Excellent! Did you pick your copy up at the shops, or do you have a subscription? Just checking to see if it's worth my time popping into ASDA for a copy;) Subscriptions usually a bit prem..

Just received the new (August) issue of Mojo - 'World Peace...' is this month's featured album with an effusive full page 4-star review by Keith Cameron, accompanied by a rather odd illustration by one Dan Craig. Sample quotes: "the most subtle and decorous Morrissey album for many years, possibly since the hallowed Vauxhall And I" "so good you want to stand and cheer".

The feature is also trailed on the front cover with the tag "his best album in 20 years!"

Yep, good news but I'm pretty certain they've given all the most recent Moz albums 4 stars - bit of a shame it didn't get a 5.

YOR only got 3 stars, not sure on the other two.

Re: World Peace 4-Star Mojo Review IS JUST THE BEGINNING!

I've heard from folk who've heard the album and word up is "it's wonderful!" I haven't heard it, obvs, but I have a gut feeling it's going to blow people away. I've done all I can do. I lifted the supposedly life-long fatwa I imposed over Morrisseys' "unforgiveable" handbag comment on David Banda Ciccione but these things take time.

What would be dreadful is if there's panic at the low-key success rate to date. The best campaigns are a mix of word of mouth and press. Word of mouth on WPINOYB is very strong and building. If it's a slow burner and takes a year to go global in terms of sales and recognition, it's in the company of lots of other gems, like say, "Raising Sand". So long as Harvest or Morrissey don't bottle it and let some Green Day AOR Dad Rock Remixes emerge in a futile hope of mainstream airplay in the Flyover States. Ain't gonna happen there yet and "America Is Not The World". Why the hell did he showcase the new global music in that dump anyway?

There's potentially a whole new Audience for Morrissey and his band worldwide which is orders of magnitude larger than the current stale, sterile cult of stalker fans, once this album gains momentum and his touring work-horse persona returns. It seems to be important to him to work like a Navvy and have Industry Media approval so this will presumably lift his spirits after the 'virus/cold/support act' nonsenses. He's hardly in the Bowie/Bush league of insouciant confidence. LOL!

For years I've been saying that if Morrissey really was an admirer of Kadim Al Sahir and the rest of the music that pumps onto the streets of Small Heath, he'd drop the Green Day Dad Rock nonsense and step up to the plate. Amazingly, with "Istanbul", he's not only matched "Ahbini" but possibly excelled it. My jaw genuinely dropped and i'm still in shock from my first hearing of "Istanbul". It's a towering achievement that may take a year to translate to global anthem, but I have faith it will happen. And it redeems him for dissing Baby David Banda. So we're good!

I'll ask around the B10 hood, and send a message to Kadim asking if he'll do a cameo on any "Istanbul" video. A video which needs to match the impact of "Music and War". And if Harvest won't cough up 50/50 with Morrissey, then he knows where he stands 'going forward'. Morrissey's not as drop-dead gorgeous as Kadim and me, but beauty isn't everything. I'll even ask Kadim if he'll duet onstage in Istanbul. He's wary because of Morrissey's wilding out and it's been years since Morrissey even mentioned him. But let's see. This could all have happened in 2007 if Morrissey had grown a pair instead of trolling everyone to the point where the letters F & U were the only ones used in response to any big-up proposals for his wayward career.

best wishes
BB from B10 'the real Mover & Shaker'

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratch that. I just noticed its not really a review of the album.

@Boyafraid1 on Twitter posted a scan of the review. I'd post the image itself but I'm on my phone and having technical difficulties.

"The uncouth chug-rock that has been the post-Vauxhall era's default is absent" is all I needed to read. Bring on this album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom