Why is "Let The Right One Slip In" on the extra-badges "Bona Drag" reissue?

Theo

That's not a "Bona Drag" era Morrissey song. It was co-written (I believe) by Gary Day and Alain Whyte. Morrissey hadn't even met them when "Bona Drag" was released.

See, I like to think of things in terms of periods. There was The Smiths. Then there was the early solo career. Then there was the period from "Your Arsenal" thru "Maladjusted" with Alain Whyte, Boz Boorer and so forth. Then there was the hiatus, and the comeback period that began with "You Are The Quarry". Actually, I divide it up into more periods than that, but I don't wanna get too into that here.

I dunno. I like things kept in their proper places. There was that special edition of "Viva Hate" with radically different cover art and bonus tracks that didn't come from that period. That kind of thing annoys me.

Because it's a good song!!

I know what you mean. Bona Drag was a collection of great singles and very very good b-sides. Maybe keeping 'in the spirit' of this and wanting to give Slip In further exposure he decided to include it.

It does seem a bit incongruous though.

Maybe its being released as a pre-cursor to the Your Arsenal reissue which will feature the original "version." Remixed.

Note to EMI and Morrissey. Please don't mess with Vauxhall And I. That WILL be the last days of the Roman Empire

Because it's a good song!!

I know what you mean. Bona Drag was a collection of great singles and very very good b-sides. Maybe keeping 'in the spirit' of this and wanting to give Slip In further exposure he decided to include it.

It does seem a bit incongruous though.

Yeah, it's a good song. As far as I'm concerned, Morrissey did absolutely nothing wrong from when "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" came out, on thru the "Sunny" single. In my opinion, that stretch was the highest peak of his whole career. There have been other peaks in his long career, but that's the stretch that I keep going back to as his best.

But things should be kept in their proper places.

Last edited:
But he seems to keep attaching that song to Viva Hate/Bona Drag era bonus track things, so maybe he has his reasons.

Highly unlikely, (especially since the title of the song isn't even right) but it did make me go hmmm....

there's a slim chance in hell and it remains to be seen, but the "Let the Right One In" extended inclusion may be influenced by the release of the remake of the film "Let the Right One In", which is titled "Let Me In":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228987/

which opens a few days after the "Bona Drag" rerelease. no soundtrack info yet, so... speculate wildly....

I think the song might have personal significance to him in relation to the time between "Viva Hate" and "Your Arsenal". Because it's the second time he's thrown that song in as a bonus to a reissue from that period.

Leftist conspiracy, Theo. :p

....I May be being a bit cynical here...(..who...Me???)...
But:-
Re-issuing a re-issue of already issued material, with new re-issued tracks that have already been re-issued.....Oh Fuggit...My Head hurts..........

There is also at least two versions of "Piccadilly Palare" (not the extended version) with different lyrics that I know of. I know they were recorded demo, but I don't know if they were recorded properly.

I just posted a similar message in the Bona Drag thread before spotting this thread...anyhow, any chance that's a mistake on the press release and the "alternate long mix" is of Piccadilly Palare which we know exists and is from the BD era? Moz has his own logic but you would think he would have saved an alterante version of Slip In and Fantastic Bird for the eventual Your Arsenal re-issue.

Speaking of a YA re-issue...what's in the vaults from those days that we know of? Aside from the long version of There Speaks A True Friend and a live version of My Insatiable One, anything else we might look forward to?

Maybe its being released as a pre-cursor to the Your Arsenal reissue which will feature the original "version." Remixed.

Note to EMI and Morrissey. Please don't mess with Vauxhall And I. That WILL be the last days of the Roman Empire

V&I could use the levels boosted a bit. It just doesn't project as well as it could but other than that I'm not looking for them to really change anything. I just want it a little louder and a little cleaner.

Speaking of a YA re-issue...what's in the vaults from those days that we know of? Aside from the long version of There Speaks A True Friend and a live version of My Insatiable One, anything else we might look forward to?

I could see it including You've Had Her and Jack The Ripper which were CPIK b-sides which was not released in the US. Also not released in the US that is Your Arsenal based is Beethoven was Deaf.

There could be a double CD with that bonus tracks and BWD. Not predicting anything, just talking about possibilities.

That's not a "Bona Drag" era Morrissey song. It was co-written (I believe) by Gary Day and Alain Whyte. Morrissey hadn't even met them when "Bona Drag" was released.

See, I like to think of things in terms of periods. There was The Smiths. Then there was the early solo career. Then there was the period from "Your Arsenal" thru "Maladjusted" with Alain Whyte, Boz Boorer and so forth. Then there was the hiatus, and the comeback period that began with "You Are The Quarry". Actually, I divide it up into more periods than that, but I don't wanna get too into that here.

I dunno. I like things kept in their proper places. There was that special edition of "Viva Hate" with radically different cover art and bonus tracks that didn't come from that period. That kind of thing annoys me.

What about the period with Gannon and Rourke 1988 through to 1990?

I do believe if this version wasn't released many people would be complaining about it, then don't discuss why Morrissey put it on Bona Drag, just thank him for doing it.

I am pretty that most people here are glad for this release and I am too.

Back
Top Bottom