Why do we allow anonymous posts like this?

Maurice E Maher

*Facepalm* It wasn't humorous, let alone actually funny, the first time you said it (years and years and years ago) and it certainly hasn't become funny with repetition. You're no Stewart Lee. It's actually almost more tedious than the endless posts you make about Radio 2 airplay and your evaluations of his session-musicians' songwriting and musicianship; quite an accomplishment, all things considered. Just f***ing shut up."

This is a little bit sinister. A little boy sitting at his computer, posting anonymously, acting like a stalker, whose sole aim is to throw abuse at a named user.
Could the moderator who allowed this please explain why it was allowed?
This little person is following people for years and years, slagging them off with personal abuse. The sole aim of his post. It's incredibly cowardly. How can anonymous posters be allowed to do this?
Surely a moderator's job is not to allow these kinds of posts?
Please explain.

Anyone else offended by the quoted post and needs an explanation? I don't have time to explain every moderation decision for individuals but if there are enough people interested I might.

Anyone else offended by the quoted post and needs an explanation? I don't have time to explain every moderation decision for individuals but if there are enough people interested I might.
I hope you weren't in the shower, or doing something important like quite literally anything else when you had to drop it all and deal with this very serious situation.

O.K... I am interested too. Why are posts like this one allowed?:

Every time you pop out of Steve’s asshole, you gurgle and spit something ridiculous. For the love of cognitively sound folk everywhere, please save the yap for breath. You can’t possibly have the energy to post this nonsense between laps and tickles of his balls and anus.

...what, with that mouthful of jizz and all.

Back up your hole!

I do not get how can ANYONE may think that it's reasonable to approve these posts (in plural, for they are lots of them). So I am interested too.

Looks like you are new to the site. Briefly, most posts are not censored unless they are spam or disclose personal information. There are a lot of posts to go through and we don't always read every post thoroughly, only skim for certain things. As a user you can downvote posts and if there are enough posts downvoting (usually 5 more) it will be 'hidden'. So really, you are all moderators so you can actually take action yourself.

O.K... I am interested too. Why are posts like this one allowed?:

I do not get how can ANYONE may think that it's reasonable to approve these posts (in plural, for they are lots of them). So I am interested too.

Looks like you are new to the site. Briefly, most posts are not censored unless they are spam or disclose personal information. There are a lot of posts to go through and we don't always read every post thoroughly, only skim for certain things. As a user you can downvote posts and if there are enough posts downvoting (usually 5 more) it will be 'hidden'. So really, you are all moderators so you can actually take action yourself.

O.K. I do not agree with that policy, nor I ever will, but thank you for giving an explanation.

Hi David, this is not a complaint, just wondering if it could be implemented.

'As a user you can downvote posts and if there are enough posts downvoting (usually 5 more) it will be 'hidden'. So really, you are all moderators so you can actually take action yourself.'

Unfortunately, the only outcome of that action is not hiding the offensive post but actually drawing more attention to it, so what is 'hidden' becomes highlighted. For no one is strong-willed enough to not 'unhide' it to see just how offensive the post is/was. Of course 5 downvotings should automatically erase the post. If this could be done, and it makes the most sense, that would be great. What do you think? Thanks in advance. :)

O.K. I do not agree with that policy, nor I ever will, but thank you for giving an explanation.
Any time you are online you have the choice to either engage or ignore. Most people seem to enjoy having the last word, so they can't help but engage.
Some people are assholes. Same as it ever was. If I had a nickel for every bit of mean words thrown my way online with or without good reason, I'd take a tropical vacation somewhere without internet for a week. Just ignore, downvote, move on.

Hi David, this is not a complaint, just wondering if it could be implemented.

'As a user you can downvote posts and if there are enough posts downvoting (usually 5 more) it will be 'hidden'. So really, you are all moderators so you can actually take action yourself.'

Unfortunately, the only outcome of that action is not hiding the offensive post but actually drawing more attention to it, so what is 'hidden' becomes highlighted. For no one is strong-willed enough to not 'unhide' it to see just how offensive the post is/was. Of course 5 downvotings should automatically erase the post. If this could be done, and it makes the most sense, that would be great. What do you think? Thanks in advance. :)
That would be very easy to abuse if (any)one wanted to.

Any time you are online you have the choice to either engage or ignore. Most people seem to enjoy having the last word, so they can't help but engage.
Some people are assholes. Same as it ever was. If I had a nickel for every bit of mean words thrown my way online with or without good reason, I'd take a tropical vacation somewhere without internet for a week. Just ignore, downvote, move on.

I know about the "last word" thing... and that's exactly why I systematically ignore Urbanus.

However, I do not see what's the point of approving messages about Morrissey's perineum (a.k.a. "the space between the balls and the anus", but some folks do not seem to know that word) when they are simply written to harass someone and they interrupt threads which are otherwise interesting.

Anyway, David obviously has the REAL last word on these issues. and he gave his explanation. I can't agree with his policy, but we all have different ideas.

That would be very easy to abuse if (any)one wanted to.

How? It would take more than one member. And if there are any positive votes towards an offensive post, that could balance & short circuit the negative ratings for having their intended effect so there still is a democracy of sorts.

How? It would take more than one member. And if there are any positive votes towards an offensive post, that could balance & short circuit the negative ratings for having their intended effect so there still is a democracy of sorts.
sockpuppets.png

A small group of people could in effect take over and remove posts targeting another member, for example. You mentioned erasing the post, how would someone vote it up if it was gone?

I know about the "last word" thing... and that's exactly why I systematically ignore Urbanus.

However, I do not see what's the point of approving messages about Morrissey's perineum (a.k.a. "the space between the balls and the anus", but some folks do not seem to know that word) when they are simply written to harass someone and they interrupt threads which are otherwise interesting.

Anyway, David obviously has the REAL last word on these issues. and he gave his explanation. I can't agree with his policy, but we all have different ideas.
Like I said- tain't none of my concern if people want to comment about Morrissey's perineum to me, or anybody else. You have to realize that on the internet, and especially on a Morrissey site, you're going to get some weird people trying to get a rise out of you.

A small group of people could in effect take over and remove posts targeting another member, for example.

but wouldn't members who agree and give good ratings to the same post counteract those actions?

Or at least after a post gets 5 or more downvotings then to remove the 'hidden' post by you?

Sure it does. Let me just whip up some email accounts really quickly, set up multiple sock puppet accounts here, and get back to you with my 5 downvotes.

yes that's a possibility, I guess? Think David was saying that regular members can gang up on one member, but if you read my post to him, I mention that positive ratings toward that same post would counteract the negative votes, and so not erase the offensive post. Or at least, after 5 or more downratings the post will be 'hidden' and then David can decide to or not to erase it.

Again, I'm not complaining, I easily ignore those posts or reply to them in a nonsensical way, in other words .. I couldn't care less and I'm having fun doing it. At the moment I have one member on 'ignore' which works great. And yes, agree, David is boss, and if I or anyone doesn't like this site.. they can leave. :thumb:

Is this like a poll?

Back
Top Bottom