Why are most (most, not all) British people as.sholes?? Particularly British Moz fans??

Re: Do you like American music? I like all kinds of music.

> Nothing springs from nothing. But every now and then a new genre emerges.
> Genre as opposed to subgenre. (There hasn't been a new genre
> that I know of since about 1979, unfortunately, and the world is waiting
> with baited breath for someone out there to sieze the opportunity.)

I'd say there have been new genres within dance. I think drum'n'bass coulod legitimately be called a new genre, and not just a subgenre. I mean, I think drum'n'bass is probably the most boring thing ever, but it has become pretty big, and then gone on and influnced pop music, like all those bands using breakbeats a few years ago. (David Bowie's "Earthing" being a good example of an old dag being taught new tracks.)

It's hard to say what is a genre and what isn't though, isn't it? I mean, is "pop" (as opposed to "rock") a seperate genre or just a subgenre. Can you rteally call The Smiths a pop band, and also call NYSNC a pop band? Is ther any common currency between those two acts?

> Take pizza. There's a million different recipes
> for making it. Everyone can put their individuality and culture
> into their recipe. Maybe someone loves some California recipe
> which puts pinapples on, I don't know. But pizza is
> Italian, and always will be. And Italy is just really great
> in coming up with some pretty righteous kinds of food in general.
> Even though they wouldn't have had the noodle without China,
> they put it with marinara sauce.

Mmmmm ...pizza. I have it on good authority that pizza is actually Greek. The whole pita bread/leftover food thing came from Greece, was adopted by the Italians at some point, and became a manifestly Italian thing. So where is Pizza from? The country which refined and popularised it, or the country where it was "invented"? I'm be inclined to say both. Which is basically my argument re: Rock music as well. I don't think rock *isn't* from America, I just don't think it is, entirely, either.

> It's not an accident rock and roll and several other
> music genres were created in America. You look first at the roots of it,
> in blues, hillbilly, and gospel,and then you look to the emerging freedom
> of youth in the mid-20th century, when the notion of a
> "teenager" came about.

> But don't you see, you're making my case. America is the most diverse
> country in the world, with blends of cultures from the whole globe.
> You combine that with various factors, good and bad, at work in the
> culture, and
> results emerge. Rock and roll *is* America; in it you can see
> almost everything which defines America.

> You just don't want to acknowledge that American culture gave the world
> something pretty damn cool. Imperialism?
> People can't seem to get enough of it.

I'm happy to admit the US gave the world some cool stuf. Contary to popular opinion I'm not anti-American. I've spent quite a bit of time travelling throughout a good part of the US in my 26 years ... I lived in a scumming apartment in LA for a month about five years ago, and drove halfway across the states one winter. I've just come back from a two weeks honeymoon in Hawaii, on the island of Kauai. Without American culture I don't know what I would have had to drink las night - but it sure wouldn't have been Coca-Cola, and I don't know what I would have worn, because it wouldn't have been jeans, either. I just don't think the US is entirely responsible for rock'n'roll, is all.

Good argument, though. I wish they're be more good threads lie this, rather than
"Boz sucks"
"No, you suck"
"No, YOU do ..."
etc.

Good crossing swords with you ....

Until next time ....

StH

Re: in defence of U.S. Hum(o)ur (amongst other things)

Stop it! Just stop it. If you'd let me braid your armpit hair, it would be okay.

Sweet talk between lovers?

> pashernate

maybe nothing more nor less that sweet talk

Back
Top Bottom