What was the first The Smiths / Morrissey record you bought?

Played it to death. Good times.
They really were, I saw them for the first time at The Free Trade Hall the year it came out, so it was great reminder of the gig. I actually only went because my mate had a spare ticket and I only really knew, What difference Does It Make but I was hooked after that night.

They really were, I saw them for the first time at The Free Trade Hall the year it came out, so it was great reminder of the gig. I actually only went because my mate had a spare ticket and I only really knew, What difference Does It Make but I was hooked after that night.
I love tales like these. Unfortunately for me I was otherwise engaged in Deutschland, so best I could achieve was the Rockpalast TV show, quite literally by accident, I might add...might have been live I can't remember...tunes were amazing & first time I'd ever seen a permitted, & encouraged, stage invasion/occupation. I was hooked thereafter. Magical is the only way to describe it actually.

I love tales like these. Unfortunately for me I was otherwise engaged in Deutschland, so best I could achieve was the Rockpalast TV show, quite literally by accident, I might add...might have been live I can't remember...tunes were amazing & first time I'd ever seen a permitted, & encouraged, stage invasion/occupation. I was hooked thereafter. Magical is the only way to describe it actually.

I also discovered Joy Division by chance. I have always been a huge fan of Buzzcocks and saw them twice in one week and Joy Division were the support.At the first gig in Blackburn I was in the bar so only heard them but the 2nd gig at Manchester I actually watched them and was absolutely mesmerised (although I’d had a few beers and a couple of spliffs)

I also discovered Joy Division by chance. I have always been a huge fan of Buzzcocks and saw them twice in one week and Joy Division were the support.At the first gig in Blackburn I was in the bar so only heard them but the 2nd gig at Manchester I actually watched them and was absolutely mesmerised (although I’d had a few beers and a couple of spliffs)

you done bragging?

;)

Yeah, it's strange how things happen. Accidental experiences which shape musical tastes. Songs that saved, or shaped, your life. Brilliant. And Morrissey, God love him, has played such a major part as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
you done bragging?

;)

I used to live in a place called Burnley and apart from football there was nothing else to do but go to gigs. A lot of bands used to play in Blackburn and Manchester was only half an hour away so a few of us used to go to gigs every couple of weeks. First band I ever saw was Buzzcocks and a couple weeks later The Ramones, I was and still am hooked on music after that!

I used to live in a place called Burnley and apart from football there was nothing else to do but go to gigs. A lot of bands used to play in Blackburn and Manchester was only half an hour away so a few of us used to go to gigs every couple of weeks. First band I ever saw was Buzzcocks and a couple weeks later The Ramones, I was and still am hooked on music after that!

Yeah I don’t know how young you were when you went to those shows, but reading Morrissey’s accounts he was what 12, 13? when he saw people like T-Rex and Lou Reed.

It seems people went to shows at a much earlier age than they do in America. Maybe because there was more importance placed on music as a part of British culture?

You have any thoughts on this?

Yeah I don’t know how young you were when you went to those shows, but reading Morrissey’s accounts he was what 12, 13? when he saw people like T-Rex and Lou Reed.

It seems people went to shows at a much earlier age than they do in America. Maybe because there was more importance placed on music as a part of British culture?

You have any thoughts on this?
Hmmm, interesting question Ket.

You have any thoughts on this

I was 15 when when I went to my first gig but at that time over here they seemed to let anyone into the venues, although I was tall for my age and had a bit of a bum fluff beard😂

I was 15 when when I went to my first gig but at that time over here they seemed to let anyone into the venues, although I was tall for my age and had a bit of a bum fluff beard😂
I've heard that's still the case...bum fluff I mean. :lbf:

I've heard that's still the case...bum fluff I mean. :lbf:
I wish, if I grow a beard now it’s more like a Brillo pad and the same colour! This is a great conversation, maybe we should start a thread on concert memories. My most disappointing night was when I went to see The Smiths in Preston and some arsehole threw something at Morrissey as they launched into TQID as the opener, the band carried on playing an instrumental version but the gig was cancelled when they finished. I’m not dead certain who came back on stage to announce that Morrissey had been taken to hospital but I think it was Johnny.

For some reason there were a lot of problems at Preston Guild Hall. There was a ferocious punch up at New Order gig there and Hooky actually stopped the band playing and told the audience if they didn’t stop fighting they were f***ing off!

Last edited:
Yeah, although it might be stating the effing, & blindingly, obvious, this forum is at its best when it's music focused.

The rest of the shit peddled & promoted by certain individuals is, well... shit, & serves no real, or constructive purpose.

Quite the opposite, frankly.

Yeah, although it might be stating the effing, & blindingly, obvious, this forum is at its best when it's music focused.

The rest of the shit peddled & promoted by certain individuals is, well... shit, & serves no real, or constructive purpose.

I agree and I can be arsey as well when it all kicks off. I think that’s when the moderators should step in. On other sites I go on if something starts to go off topic the moderators give a warning to stay on topic and if it carries on, they close the thread.

The World Won't Listen on cassette when it came out, then worked backwards with the other albums. Remember seeing The Smiths on TOTP in 83 with the flowers but I wasn't really into music then.

I think there's no compilation album ever released that did so much for a bands career that Hatful did for The Smiths. It's my first Smiths buy as well and started a life long passion.

what about drugs?

Or did you not partake in such adventures ?

Martin Bramah, in an interview with Simon Reynolds...

“You can’t play down the influence of drugs on Blue Orchids and The Fall. The first drugs we got into was strong LSD. Pot smoking seemed lame back then--hippie guys who sat around stoned and did nothing. We were anti drugs at first and thought we could reach the psychedelic thing without the drugs. But in a club someone gave us some microdots, when we were about 16. The next day we went to Heaton Park and dropped it and spent the whole day on LSD. Heaton Park is a stately home, the nearest thing to a common in Manchester. And then we discovered psylocibin mushroom were growing in Heaton Park for free. Someone told us that there were fields of these mushrooms. So from that point we were kind of pickled in magic mushrooms and LSD. We just made it our own. It was a free source of entertainment. We’d be munching these things and sitting in pubs and seeing the world in a strange way and getting ideas for songs about our local environment. The Fall was like Coronation Street on acid.”

I think there's no compilation album ever released that did so much for a bands career that Hatful did for The Smiths. It's my first Smiths buy as well and started a life long passion.

For me the best comp ever is Louder Than Bombs, it’s epic!

For me the best comp ever is Louder Than Bombs, it’s epic!
yes probably right, but Hatful turned a fanbase into legions. The Smithe album and Hatful released in the same year, but the later gave latecomers to the party a decision to make, and the radio plays and singles were all there on Hatful And if I remember correctly it was a budget release so that helped. It turned plenty of curious people into fans for life.

I agree Mozmar, & all this chat on a thread started by....a genuine Morrissey & music fan.

You must please remember.

Back
Top Bottom