What next, Morrissey?

Eldritch

So the BMG era has now officially ended and it was his most productive 30 months since mid-nineties. I guess the original plan was to tour the album for the next year or so, but of course all concerts have now been put on hold indefinitely. So I wonder what Morrissey, now in his sixties, will do next? Is he still writing new songs? Does he begin to woo another record label? Or return to writing -- List of the Lost showed that he's not really a novelist, but there are many subjects that he barely touched in his Autobiography, so some kind of sequel to that wouldn't be out of question? Or will he fall into a indebilitating depression?

So the BMG era has now officially ended

Do we know that for certain? I mean, I think it's fairly unlikely that they will negotiate a new contract with him but there's hasn't been an 'official' announcement of that, has there?

Do we know that for certain? I mean, I think it's fairly unlikely that they will negotiate a new contract with him but there's hasn't been an 'official' announcement of that, has there?

You're right, I don't think there has. Is he still being represented by Katsis? If so, he seems like the kind of industry guy who could help find a new deal, perhaps?

When announcing the new album Morrissey Official stated "This conludes Morrissey's contract with BMG". Plus when you add the lack of promotion, physical singles, official videos and any kind of push from BMG for IANADOAC, I think that's as official as it gets regarding a contract ending.

As for Katsis, there has been now word from him for a long time. Considering Morrissey's track record with managers, my guess is that he has been fired months ago.

Last edited:
Well Morrissey himself indicated that IANADOAC concluded his contract with BMG and I think their total lack of support for the album doesn't indicate any desire on their part to change that and would I'm sure make any extension a remote possibility. At 61, after burning through so many record companies and with him at possibly his lowest ever public profile it's unlikely he will get another contract anytime soon. Our only hope are the mooted re-issues although I don't think these were ever officially confirmed by BMG

When announcing the new album Morrissey Official stated "This conludes Morrissey's contract with BMG". Plus when you add the lack of promotion, physical singles, official videos and any kind of push from BMG for IANADOAC, I think that's as official as it gets regarding a contract ending.

As for Katsis, there has been now word from him for a long time. Considering Morrissey's track record with managers, my guess is that he has been fired moths ago.
Peter Katsis was side stage at Wembley gig.

Well Morrissey himself indicated that IANADOAC concluded his contract with BMG and I think their total lack of support for the album doesn't indicate any desire on their part to change that and would I'm sure make any extension a remote possibility. At 61, after burning through so many record companies and with him at possibly his lowest ever public profile it's unlikely he will get another contract anytime soon. Our only hope are the mooted re-issues although I don't think these were ever officially confirmed by BMG
It's not burning through record companies that's the problem. Its shedding 70% of his fanbase since 2017 because of we all know what. And Dog on a Chains commercial failure is nothing to do with the label, and everything to do with a singer who's become so toxic that no record station will dare to play his new songs anymore, despite the fact that they're his best for years. His public profile is actually about as high as it's ever been. Its just for all the wrong reasons.

What's next is another slew of re-releases of old albums. It will be interesting to see to what extent he f***s with the track-listings and artwork, if we get bonus tracks etc.

After that - maybe time for another 'Very Best Of Greatest Hits - The Essential Morrissey' album? Haven't had one of those in a hot minute.

What's next is another slew of re-releases of old albums. It will be interesting to see to what extent he f***s with the track-listings and artwork, if we get bonus tracks etc.

After that - maybe time for another 'Very Best Of Greatest Hits - The Essential Morrissey' album? Haven't had one of those in a hot minute.
I understand what your saying re another 'Best Of' type compilation and I've not always bought every one of these type of releases although I did buy Greatest Hits several years ago which was a good selection. However at this juncture in his solo career I do think there is a place for Morrissey The Singles 1988 to 2020 including every Single in chronological order that has been released within those years. I realise they have been on several different record labels so that perhaps could be problematic but as a complete release it would be fantastic, go on Moz make it happen!

As for Katsis, there has been now word from him for a long time. Considering Morrissey's track record with managers, my guess is that he has been fired months ago.
Peter K. was at the London gig. A pal of mine met him before the show. They had a nice chat and he agreed to a selfie with her even.

It's not burning through record companies that's the problem. Its shedding 70% of his fanbase since 2017 because of we all know what. And Dog on a Chains commercial failure is nothing to do with the label, and everything to do with a singer who's become so toxic that no record station will dare to play his new songs anymore, despite the fact that they're his best for years. His public profile is actually about as high as it's ever been. Its just for all the wrong reasons.
I think you may have the wrong thread ....we all know the problems Morrissy faces but we are (mostly) still here supporting him and I for one would love a release sometime in the future but I unfortunately think its unlikley but hope for some uncovered gems on possible re-issues..

I think that a sequel to Autobiography is just as likely as a follow-up to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain. Or in other words, his chances of finding a publisher are just as slim as his chances of finding a record label in the coming years. He'd probably continue to write songs because he has always done that between record deals and it almost seems to be a necessity for him.

I agree with you that the original plan was probably to tour this record. COVID-19 is a severe blow to him, as it is to so many other artists. I assume he will resume touring when it becomes possible again, if he's still in strong voice. Part of this is wishful thinking on my behalf: I would hate to see it end so abruptly and unexpectedly. But I also can't see him cope well away from the music scene: he's burn his money on 5 star hotel suits and expensive bottles of champagne and vodka and that is such a sad thought.

I think that a sequel to Autobiography is just as likely as a follow-up to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain. Or in other words, his chances of finding a publisher are just as slim as his chances of finding a record label in the coming years.

Why do you think that? Has he blown his deal with Penguin?

img_2257.png

Why do you think that? Has he blown his deal with Penguin?

I thought he had a deal with Penguin for 2 books: Autobiography and List of the Lost. The first was a bestseller, the second probably a disaster. So I doubt that any publisher would want to more Morrissey-penned fiction. And with his name blackmailed by social media, now is not the time for a sequel to Autobiography. Although it may make sense to have one 5 or 10 years from now, who knows?

Eldritch - are you the same Eldritch who posts over on d-m.com's forum?

:lbf:

Morrissey will be just fine.

Don’t worry.

?

Back
Top Bottom