What music were you into before Morrissey

ALLIE WALLS

I always lived and breathe David Bowie before i heard this charming an back in 1984 and then things changed for me. Watching Bowie from Glastonbury tonight on BBC4 made me realise how lame he was in concert compared to Morrissey. Who did you love prior to discovering him ?

Before Viva Hate I was mostly into what I would call radio music not that music was a huge part of my life in any way. I reckon most boys have been through a heavy metal phase when young.

Springsteen actually.
But really The Smiths was my first love, along with the Bunnymen and R.E.M.
They remain my three favourite bands.

11 years old, the first single I ever bought was Gud bye t Jane by Slade. a big band early to mid seventies, and I loved them as a nipper, along with other glam rockers but always Slade first. 14 and the formative years brings Punk, The Stranglers my First gig in 1979 followed by Siouxsie including one gig with Robert Smith on guitar , Ramones in Manchester a rare visit they didn't come often, SLF, Buzzcocks, Pogues, Amongst many others, but the Clash where always the ones, followed them around the north of England on several tours they'll never leave me. Along with Bowie another constant.

I always lived and breathe David Bowie before i heard this charming an back in 1984 and then things changed for me. Watching Bowie from Glastonbury tonight on BBC4 made me realise how lame he was in concert compared to Morrissey. Who did you love prior to discovering him ?

Strange question, you make it sound like you don’t love anybody after discovering Morrissey. I still love all the bands I was into prior to The Smiths and attend their gigs regularly.

So the bands I still love after seeing The Smiths on Top of the pops are. Buzzcocks, New Order, Bunnymen, The Stranglers, REM and The Ramones (don’t see the last two gigging for obvious reasons)

Depeche Mode when I was younger, then came The The, The Clash, Billy Bragg, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash. I also still listen to them, except Depeche Mode.

I was into david bowie too. but david bowie is different for me, he haunts me. I could get really obsessed with bowie if I wanted to. it never even occurred to me to ever go see him live or anything because he was more just an idea, a vision of some ideal person to me. whereas Morrissey has always been more real to me. he doesn't haunt me but I have affection for him like I would a good friend.

Jodie Foster's Army :p
(I discovered Morrissey when I was 9 or 10 years old).

JFA was fun anyway.

Back
Top Bottom